Easy A - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Easy A Reviews

October 16, 2016
You cannot not love Emma Stone.
Positives: Emma Stone carrying it all.
Negatives: Clichéd
September 21, 2016
somewhere i read that this was supposed to be like a present day scarlet letter. i didn't see too much resemblance...
September 16, 2016
Way better than Mean Girls...although I hate to compare the incomparable. Emma Stone's acting is so spot on that it seems genuinely authentic and believable. Very witty for a teen comedy.
September 15, 2016
What a fun movie! It's a modern twist on the book we all read in high school: the scarlet letter. Emma stone carries it very well and I love the assortment of familiar cast members including Amanda Bynes. It's definitely got some language but I love the humor, I love the high school setting, I love how defiant Emma is, and I enjoyed the ending.
September 5, 2016
Excellent movie. My only problem was Lisa Kudrow. She is such a horrible actress and her characters are always the same. Fortunately, she isnt in the movie enough to ruin it. Emma Stone and Thomas Haden Church were both fantastic in their respective roles.
August 26, 2016
There definitely is a lot of enjoyment to be had in this movie. I love Emma stone and I think she did a pretty good job in this film.
½ August 20, 2016
A decent facsimile of an 80s teen comedy.
August 19, 2016
Easy A is not the the type of movie you would just easily compare to other iconic, classic teen movies as it has its own recipe of effectiveness, wits, and twists, but it has something in common with those other iconic teen movies: It's confidently iconic itself.
June 13, 2016
A cute movie with funny moments.
June 11, 2016
Example of great cast elevating movie in every role. Funny, entertaining, clever.
June 5, 2016
Emma Stone, Amanda Bynes, Lisa Kudrow. Bye
June 1, 2016
Highly overrated has a weak plot and isn't even funny for most of the film, only in some scenes the comedy is worth laughing, but some scenes, can not save a movie.
½ May 11, 2016
Horrible, just horrible. Didn't even finish watching this it was so bad. Had high hopes for this movie when I saw the trailer and was completely let down. By far Emma stones worst role yet and she certainly showed all her flaws in this one. Probably in my top 10 worst movies I've ever seen
April 21, 2016
So likable, funny, and cute that the whole movie just leaves you with happy feelings
½ April 16, 2016
So funny! Emma Stone is adorable and completely holds her own. and the story did feel more classic teen movie than cheesy nonsensical crap! :)
½ March 16, 2016
Not your average comedy-drama-coming of age film. Emma Stone was great, the movie's actually funny, and the plot, although not too great, is still pretty decent. The screenwriting in this film is, average, and it's my only gripe with this film.
February 28, 2016
On the wings of indiscretion, the shoulders of underappreciated teen actors and the backs of 80's cult film classics comes another story of friendship, morality, truth and romance. Hinged around the self importance of disaffected teen stereotypes scraping out their lives in high school hell; 'Easy A' snaps off the chastity belt and embraces sex, lies and a webcam.

Attempting to avoid the indignity of spending a boring weekend at home listening to the same dreadful top 40 bubblegum song, professional overachiever Olive Penderghast (Emma Stone) placates her overzealous best friend Rhiannon (Aly Michalka) with a little white lie.
Embellishing and exaggerating, Olive falsely gushes about loosing her virginal status (V-card) in a weekend filled of debauchery with an imaginary frat boy. Unluckily for Olive, her little promiscuous boasting session is overheard by the school's bitchy evangelical crusader Marianne (Amanda Bynes).
Within a second, Marianne with her arsenal of contemporary weapons of mass character assassination; sets the school yard a-twitter over every juicy detail. Olive's alleged faux-ginity losing landmark right of passage is exposed, and as the legend grows it becomes mission impossible for Olive to set the story straight.
Initially basking in the spotlight of her new found popularity and bimbo status, Olive decides not to deny rumours. Finding humour in becoming the Google Earth size target of scorn and slander, and unwanted attention from those who didn't know she existed.
Olive, armed with the misguided interpretation of advice from her socially critical English teacher Mr. Griffith (Thomas Haden Church) and the classes highly appropriate reading assignment Nathaniel Hawthorne's A Scarlet Letter; realises an opportunity.
Adapting her wardrobe to complement and reflect her sullied reputation, Olive fashionably pastes an emblazoned red 'A' across her breast and offers up her tattered reputation for the betterment of the school's status-challenged and disenfranchised male populous.
Successfully portraying a fake tryst with her gay best friend Brandon (Dan Byrd), a surge in demand for Olive's fictional favors and their empowering afterglow leaves Olive's lies compounded. However, the rumors of her ill-repute eventually manifests itself in an attempted case of car park date-rape and her unplanned social experiment takes on a demonic life of its own.
With its juicy upside down premise and delectable plot, 'Easy A' endeavours to hit the same Gen-Y indi-note as 'Juno'. Sadly however, Gen-X Writer Bert V. Royal has quite blatantly trawled the 80's annals of cult teen film fandom and attempted to cramp an entire oeuvre of John Hughes references into this one cross-generationally confused film.
They always say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and in one instance this movie almost beats its predecessor. Borrowed from 1989's Heathers, Patricia Clarkson and Stanley Tucci play Olive's witty non-conformist liberal parents. As wonderfully idyllic caricatures the banter flows easily in an offbeat rhythm with Emma Stone's nonchalant alterna-cool edginess.

Plotting takes a dive towards the final act as the Hollywood machine steps in; reverting to a mish-mash of '16 Candles', 'The Breakfast Club', 'Say Anything' and 'Can't by me love'. Marry that with a premise loosely based on a virtual prostitute version of 'The Scarlett Letter'; originally in this film is at a premium.

The Verdict: As President of the Cross Your Heart Club, Amanda Bynes exaggerates her parodied character beyond permissible comic proportions. Luckily, she is not the major subject of this film and Emma Stone's far superior acting ability keeps the film in check. When it comes to sarcasm; redhead's just do it better.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 24/09/2010
February 21, 2016
This is the movie that proves Emma Stone is a capable actress. She nails her performance in this one. I laughed and thought it was a very clever movie. A fun movie that is about something important and is shown in a light and enjoyable way.
February 7, 2016
An overall funny and entertaining movie definitely worth the watch.
½ February 7, 2016
Easy A (and Emma Stone) deliver a consistently humorous and laugh out loud premise that, while not as polished or insightful as it could, still manages to be sympathizing as well as an excellent showcase of Emma Stone's charm and talent.