Easy Rider - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Easy Rider Reviews

April 1, 2017
Uhh mazing fricking movie. One of my all time favorites. It's messages and themes are still relevant to today.
½ March 20, 2017
This movie honestly sucks. I can't figure out why people enjoyed it so much. It's a mess.
March 5, 2017
A defining movie from one of the most famous and revolutionary eras of our history, Easy Rider embodies the hedonism and free spiritedness of the hippie movement, as well as its paranoia and fear of authoritarianism, i.e., 'The Man'. It may have been a marvel at the time, but today it's age definitely shows. About half of the runtime consists of our 2 heroes riding their bikes through the America South West while a contemporary soundtrack plays. I can't imagine anybody watching it today who wasn't alive in the sixties and actually getting anything out of it. It moves slowly, the actors stoned out of their minds and uttering vague declarations of government control and the end of their way of life, or whatever it was. The editing is bizarre, and the show is stolen by Jack Nicholson's madcap performance, completely overshadowing the relatively sedate turns by Hopper and especially Fonda, who mostly looks like he couldn't care less about what is happening around him. That might be the point, the idea that he's tapped into some kind of higher consciousness, like many a stoner has claimed to have done, but it doesn't make for entertaining viewing. It's a product of time through and through, and while it may have captured the ethos of its day, it leaves a lot to be desired all these decades later.
½ January 8, 2017
Despite featuring one of the strongest early performances from star Jack Nicholson and a rock-solid soundtrack, Easy Rider fails to deliver a decent road trip movie due to its senseless script.
December 2, 2016
Two friends on a motor cycle journey answering the questions about the identity of the real america. It does not have coherent storyline but still this film shines brightly. Fabulous performances by Dennis hopper and Jack nicholson. This is a classic.
½ December 1, 2016
I read into this film and it seems this is one of the cinema greats. Has a Criterion release, great scores for the most part. I'm on the complete opposite side of the norm. I didn't really enjoy Easy Rider. There isn't any character development whatsoever. It's just 2 guys with drugs driving across the country to New Orleans and their journey. What I got from it is to always be yourself as they are looked at as outcasts from the social normal, clean cut men with trucks. They're long haired, drug using, motorcycle riding hippies. And this ultimately plays out with the shocking ending. I didn't see what happened coming at all and ultimately saved this film from getting a rough score from me. The soundtrack is also great. I understand this film was iconic when it came out during the time that it did. But for me, my huge expectations were unfortunately letdown.
November 1, 2016
Dennis Hopper's daring road movie is a New Hollywood landmark, characterised by cheery tunes and leery edits.
Easy Rider is both a victory for American independent cinema and a countercultural commentary on the mindset of a misunderstood movement. Today, this meandering and moody film feels like a window into a lost-but-never forgotten world.
Driven by awesome performances straddling an unforgettable soundtrack, if still makes for a good ride.
September 5, 2016
Terrible editing. Product of the 60's that doesn't work now.
September 2, 2016
The movie that started the New Wave of how movies can be made with the trend of more R-Rated movies, Easy Rider has aged well enough to be an American Classic
September 1, 2016
Easy Rider is a trip! For those who need escape on a road to get away!
½ August 26, 2016
It's such a great movie for its time telling both sides of a cross-country motorcycle ride, whether you take the wonders of it or consider yourself more cautious. Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper play Captain America and his youthful sidekick, Billy. These are characters whose contrast between each other and become enough of great guys you can ride with. The many events they get themselves into due to their freewheeling nature seem to always taken a turn for the worse, which is a bit of a wake-up call for anyone dreaming for an amazing road trip. I guess that's what makes it, surprisingly, such an American adventure!
August 4, 2016
Two bikers score some drugs in Mexico, sell it for a tidy profit in California, and embark on a road trip to a whorehouse in New Orleans. They get into a large assortment of misadventures along the way. Easy Rider has an immense reputation since it made Jack Nicholson famous, altered how film soundtracks were put together, transformed the career trajectory of star/director Dennis Hopper, brought techniques of French New Wave to American audiences, rewrote expectations as to how successful independent film could be, and ushered in a wave of gritty, progressive, and experimental movies that defined American pop culture throughout the 1970's. While I do acknowledge all of these accomplishments, I found the actual film itself to be interesting a hell of a lot more often than I found it to be great. Easy Rider is certainly worth checking out, but I largely see it as an intriguing time capsule that laid groundwork for the much better films that followed in its wake.
½ July 17, 2016
A film from 1969 that brought the 'hippy' mantra to cinema into the seventies amongst a conservative United States backdrop.
The film focuses on two main characters nicknamed Captain America (Peter Fonda) and Billy (Dennis Hopper) who embark on a road trip on two glorious motorcycles, from Los Angeles to the New Orleans Mardi Gras festival with the proceeds of a succession of drug deals.
Along the long journey across the American West they pass icons including Monument Valley.
In the middle of the film a young Jack Nicholson who plays a drunken lawyer George gets the pair out of jail and for a while embarks on their journey.
The film showcases several scenes of substance misuse and activities that can only be described as shocking to audiences then and now including a drug trip in a New Orleans graveyard.
The film was produced on a shoestring budget and directed by Hopper produced by Fonda.
For me the stand out parts are the soundtrack that includes some classics from the period.
Jack Nicholsons' youthfulness,
and the disturbing and abrupt ending.
June 26, 2016
160626: This is a unique and harsh film. You just keep waiting for it, or Billy (Dennis Hopper), to go to shit. As far as I'm concerned, we're all seeking a reason, purpose, freedom. The human struggle is reflected here and we may not like what we see in the mirror. Some beautiful cinematography and landscapes. Loved the young Jack Nicholson as George Hanson. Tragic end.
May 19, 2016
Old movie, interesting take on late 60s America. Kinda slow but neat to see.
May 2, 2016
Full of music montages and seemingly non-sequitur events, Easy Rider varies from the typical film with strange cinematography and sudden tonal shifts, particularly at the end of the movie. While providing a rather lackluster story, the film still delivers a surprisingly powerful social message, and captures major cultural elements of the time. While Hopper's methods lack direction, his acting is notable, as is Jack Nicholson's. Unfortunately the film leaves you ultimately disappointed, ending abruptly while leaving little to consider. As a social commentary, it takes too long to deliver its message. As a narrative, few films suck as bad. It ultimately proves to be about a 4/10, less than the average film.
½ March 11, 2016
This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I'm astounded that it currently sits at 88% fresh. Frankly, I don't think a half a star is low enough. I wish Rotten Tomatoes offered negative stars.

It's a confused jumble of meaningless gobbledigook. The only decent scenes - of the dudes cruising on their choppers - were pretty much ruined by the floofy croonings of The Byrds. It's old movies like these that make we wanna dig up dead director corpses and pee on them.
½ March 7, 2016
Easy Rider, one of the pioneers of liberating the movie industries in the U.S. Who would have though Hopper was the brain behind this, after his impeccable weirdo dumb-ass performance.
"What you represent to them is freedom."
The wandering spirit set lose on a motorcycle with some marijuana joints on the wings of freedom, meets a hard fist of understanding.
½ February 5, 2016
One of my second favourite movies of all time great soundtrack great location fun funny great look at 60s just a good road trip style movie great memorable dialogue overall it's just a Great movie one movie that I will never get tireder of experiencing