Easy Rider - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Easy Rider Reviews

September 5, 2016
Terrible editing. Product of the 60's that doesn't work now.
September 2, 2016
The movie that started the New Wave of how movies can be made with the trend of more R-Rated movies, Easy Rider has aged well enough to be an American Classic
September 1, 2016
Easy Rider is a trip! For those who need escape on a road to get away!
½ August 26, 2016
It's such a great movie for its time telling both sides of a cross-country motorcycle ride, whether you take the wonders of it or consider yourself more cautious. Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper play Captain America and his youthful sidekick, Billy. These are characters whose contrast between each other and become enough of great guys you can ride with. The many events they get themselves into due to their freewheeling nature seem to always taken a turn for the worse, which is a bit of a wake-up call for anyone dreaming for an amazing road trip. I guess that's what makes it, surprisingly, such an American adventure!
August 4, 2016
Two bikers score some drugs in Mexico, sell it for a tidy profit in California, and embark on a road trip to a whorehouse in New Orleans. They get into a large assortment of misadventures along the way. Easy Rider has an immense reputation since it made Jack Nicholson famous, altered how film soundtracks were put together, transformed the career trajectory of star/director Dennis Hopper, brought techniques of French New Wave to American audiences, rewrote expectations as to how successful independent film could be, and ushered in a wave of gritty, progressive, and experimental movies that defined American pop culture throughout the 1970's. While I do acknowledge all of these accomplishments, I found the actual film itself to be interesting a hell of a lot more often than I found it to be great. Easy Rider is certainly worth checking out, but I largely see it as an intriguing time capsule that laid groundwork for the much better films that followed in its wake.
½ July 17, 2016
A film from 1969 that brought the 'hippy' mantra to cinema into the seventies amongst a conservative United States backdrop.
The film focuses on two main characters nicknamed Captain America (Peter Fonda) and Billy (Dennis Hopper) who embark on a road trip on two glorious motorcycles, from Los Angeles to the New Orleans Mardi Gras festival with the proceeds of a succession of drug deals.
Along the long journey across the American West they pass icons including Monument Valley.
In the middle of the film a young Jack Nicholson who plays a drunken lawyer George gets the pair out of jail and for a while embarks on their journey.
The film showcases several scenes of substance misuse and activities that can only be described as shocking to audiences then and now including a drug trip in a New Orleans graveyard.
The film was produced on a shoestring budget and directed by Hopper produced by Fonda.
For me the stand out parts are the soundtrack that includes some classics from the period.
Jack Nicholsons' youthfulness,
and the disturbing and abrupt ending.
June 26, 2016
160626: This is a unique and harsh film. You just keep waiting for it, or Billy (Dennis Hopper), to go to shit. As far as I'm concerned, we're all seeking a reason, purpose, freedom. The human struggle is reflected here and we may not like what we see in the mirror. Some beautiful cinematography and landscapes. Loved the young Jack Nicholson as George Hanson. Tragic end.
May 19, 2016
Old movie, interesting take on late 60s America. Kinda slow but neat to see.
May 2, 2016
Full of music montages and seemingly non-sequitur events, Easy Rider varies from the typical film with strange cinematography and sudden tonal shifts, particularly at the end of the movie. While providing a rather lackluster story, the film still delivers a surprisingly powerful social message, and captures major cultural elements of the time. While Hopper's methods lack direction, his acting is notable, as is Jack Nicholson's. Unfortunately the film leaves you ultimately disappointed, ending abruptly while leaving little to consider. As a social commentary, it takes too long to deliver its message. As a narrative, few films suck as bad. It ultimately proves to be about a 4/10, less than the average film.
½ March 11, 2016
This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I'm astounded that it currently sits at 88% fresh. Frankly, I don't think a half a star is low enough. I wish Rotten Tomatoes offered negative stars.

It's a confused jumble of meaningless gobbledigook. The only decent scenes - of the dudes cruising on their choppers - were pretty much ruined by the floofy croonings of The Byrds. It's old movies like these that make we wanna dig up dead director corpses and pee on them.
½ March 7, 2016
Easy Rider, one of the pioneers of liberating the movie industries in the U.S. Who would have though Hopper was the brain behind this, after his impeccable weirdo dumb-ass performance.
"What you represent to them is freedom."
The wandering spirit set lose on a motorcycle with some marijuana joints on the wings of freedom, meets a hard fist of understanding.
½ February 5, 2016
One of my second favourite movies of all time great soundtrack great location fun funny great look at 60s just a good road trip style movie great memorable dialogue overall it's just a Great movie one movie that I will never get tireder of experiencing
February 5, 2016
One of my favourite films of all time. Produced, written, directed and acted by Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda, this really demonstrates the brilliance of these 2 counter-culture Hollywood figures. This is a slice of young angst and Americana from the late 60s. The hippie and anti-establishment movement was taking shape with America's young and this film was a rallying cry.

Peter Fonda as Captain America and Dennis Hopper as Billy in their defining roles. Even Jack Nicholson joins them for the ride at one point. Dennis Hopper reprieves qualities of his character here with that in Apocalypse Now.

As our 2 anti-heroes plod along their journey, they become involved in different situations and experiences. Note an early appearance by Phil Spector. They visit a brothel where a young Karen Black and Toni Basel ("Hey Mickey!") are prostitutes. There is even a trip-out sequence at a New Orleans graveyard for those who want to drop acid at the end of the film. They visit a farmer's house and share a meal with his family:

"You've got a nice place. It's not every man that can live off the land, you know. You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Easy Rider was an influential film in its day. I even remember wearing an Easy Rider t-shirt as a young lad. The film defined the hippie way of living off the land, not being tied down to capital, man. Unfortunately, this great film seems to have much of its lustre over the decades.
January 6, 2016
A reasonably good film for its time but did not do much for me these days
December 25, 2015
I had only seen this film once before a long time ago, so it was pretty fresh to me this time. This filmed ushered in a change in cinema and a move away from the Studio system. It has a style of its own, and work perfectly with the soundtrack. Fonda, Hopper and Nicholson are all good in it. Definitely a must watch.
December 13, 2015
Great performances and realism, soundtrack too.
November 11, 2015
Iconic film - Captain America and Billy died not only for our sins, but also for their own... Watch it! :-D
November 2, 2015
A great indie pioneer with a stellar performance from Jack Nicholson. Awesome soundtrack, great cinematography, and a good screenplay though I felt it needed some more story to it. Dennis Hopper does a great job directing and the movie has very unique editing choices that I appreciated.
October 12, 2015
Without a doubt one of the best films of the 1960s, "Easy Rider" served as a milestone in American cinema with its engaging story (nominated for the Best Original Screenplay Oscar) of two bikers on the road & meeting all sorts of people while contemplating their lives & purpose. The direction by Dennis Hopper (who co-starred) was bold, strong, & unique; the acting was great (Jack Nicholson was nominated for the Best Supporting Actor Oscar); & the music fitted the road travel. "Easy Rider" is an American classic & one of the best films ever!