Ever After: A Cinderella Story Reviews

• Sep 29, 2020

I absolutely love this movie! Drew Barrymore does an incredible job, as do the rest of the cast!

• Sep 20, 2020

With is modern yet fable like take, this may very well be the best iteration of Cinderella ever brought to the big screen, besides a Cinderella story of course.

• Aug 04, 2020

With a formula used too many times, the performances are what makes this enjoyable down to the second!

• Jul 06, 2020

Amazing film. The acting, cinematography, plot, were all amazing. This story is so different from the Cinderella story Disney made. This is the best Cinderella movie ever made. It's incredible. 100%

• Jul 03, 2020

A great and more adult telling of the story. The performances are also fun.

A great and more adult telling of the story. The performances are also fun.

• May 04, 2020

Drew Barrymore and Dougray Scott make a romantic couple!

Drew Barrymore and Dougray Scott make a romantic couple!

• Apr 27, 2020

A beautiful story, well made and delivered by an excellent cast. A grown up version of a great fairytale. Enjoyed viewing several times over the years.

• Apr 12, 2020

My favorite movie of all time. Beautiful references to literature and history throughout a wonderful happy-feel-good movie!

• Apr 02, 2020

There are many interpretations and adaptations of the story of Cinderella, but it’s never been a fairy tale that I’ve loved. Ever After is the one exception to that, because this film addresses the biggest problem with the story of Cinderella. This film actually gives some logic to why the prince falls in love with the girl, beyond a pretty dress and some glass shoes. I can accept love at first sight, but to warrant the kind of tireless dedication that it takes to visit every woman in your kingdom trying on shoes, there has to be something more there. Ever After also turns Cinderella into a stronger character who has hopes, dreams, and convictions of her own. One odd choice they made was trying to tie the film all into actual nations, because the story clearly won’t stand up to any historical exploration. It also doesn’t justify the English accents of the characters, when its supposedly taking place in France. I’ll admit there is some cheesy aspects to Ever After. It is loaded with cliché, and is predictable from beginning to end. Also, I admit that Drew Barrymore can grate on the nerves a little bit. She is likeable, but there is some subtlety missing in her performance, and her attempt at an English accent is the worst. That being said, I still get swept up in the charm of Ever After. I am a sucker for a good romance story, and I think this one is solid. I also like the different twist on many of the familiar elements of the Cinderella story. Perhaps most entertaining is the way they replace the fairy godmother. The framing sequence is an odd one, because it’s a fictional presentation of someone saying that this was a true story. I suppose that’s how they were trying to explain why this is a more grounded and less magical version of the tale, but it is so silly since we know it’s not based on any historic events. But, fact or fiction, I find Ever After to be an enjoyable little film despite its flaws.

• Mar 02, 2020

A brilliant and inventive take on the classic legend, combined with Tennant's direction, the script he co-wrote with Grant and Parks, Fenton's score, Dunn's cinematography, Bondelli's editing, Howells' production design, Farr's set decoration, Beavan's costume design, action sequences and emotional weight, Ever After offers up a fresh take on the legend of Cinderella!!!