Explorers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Explorers Reviews

½ March 8, 2019
Watch this movie until they get to the space ship with the alien kids and then shut it off. From there forward, the movie is horrible.
February 27, 2019
This is a film that holds up even to this day. Although Joe Dante claims to have not been able to finish the film to his liking, I can not imagine it being any better. From the incredibly inspirational score from Jerry Goldsmith to the tremendous acting from everyone in the film, this movie is pure 80's gold. Even the special effects are incredible for the time and still hold up very well. For parents looking for a good film for kids, it is pretty kid safe (although a little heady at times) and is such a delight to watch with a younger generation. Recommended for kids 8-10 years old if they show a love for sci fi or science in general.http://latetothegame.blog/2019/02/02/key-movies-of-my-life-explorers-1985-2
½ December 31, 2018
If only the promising first act had lead to something of equal interest later on. Once they're up in space the whole thing gets very dull very quick.
December 30, 2018
So the movie didn't age all that well, but damn, it sure got the 80s nostalgia fired up. Somewhat bittersweet though as seeing Ethan Hawke and River Phoenix that young made me feel super old. Not so fun fact: 2 of these kids (Phoenix and Amanda Peterson) died of drug overdoses. Enjoy the movie!
September 4, 2018
Great 80's movie in the style of Spielberg's wonderous worlds.
June 18, 2018
A favorite fantasy sci-fi film of mine that's fueled my imagination and wonder as a kid and plenty of laughs. It still holds up.
June 9, 2018
The first half of this kids Sci-Fi adventure breathes a similar 80s atmosphere as E.T. or the Goonies. There are also some pretty groundbreaking computer Graphics for the time. It also showcases how talented Ethan Hawke was at a young age already. Once our three explorers get into the ship, the 33 years since release are showing. The production design looks cheap and Play-Do like, the butt-ugly aliens talking in TV quotes is a nice gimmick that soon gets tiresome.
April 21, 2018
Starts off good, but by the end it's pointless. A waste of time and money.
November 19, 2017
If I'd seen this movie when I was a child I probably would rated it 5 stars. The first two thirds were really charming and nostalgic that I forgive the disappointing final act....
November 4, 2017
Ethan Hawke's high pitch "girly" voice truly becomes annoying in this disjointed film. River Phoenix and the rest of the cast's performance seem right out of a high school production. This has all the making of a low budget film. Everything about this film is amateurish. However, somehow it pulls off enough interesting moments to be watchable and modestly entertaining. Quirky alien characters are laughable, but somewhat entertaining. If you liked "Goonies", you may enjoy watching this cheesy B-flick. A hidden nugget from the 80s that may make the grade for a double-feature on family movie night. The title should have incorporated the word "space" in it to provide some relevance to the subject matter. One of the cheesiest endings I have ever seen, where the actors are clearly mimicking flying while laying on a floor superimposed by green screen onto a cloudy sky.
½ September 29, 2017
loved this as a kid and the cast is great
May 2, 2017
Very strange film, though can be appreciated.
½ April 22, 2017
Really fun movie ruined by the ending. First movie for Ethan Hawke and River Phoenix. I used to watch this on cable as a kid and then shut it off the moment they reached the alien ship.
March 20, 2017
The first half of the movie was all-right as far as an 80's film centred around kids goes. But when they got on the spaceship and met those aliens it took a tremendous nose-dive into just plain awful.
September 24, 2016
A mostly forgotten 80s sci-fi movie from once popular creature director Joe Dante, Explorers is a perfect example of a movie that has some truly excellent buildup but ultimately falls short with an unbelievably nonsensical ending. Like with practically every 80s film, the chemistry of Explorers' three child actors is top notch and wonderfully natural. Young Ethan Hawke shows us that he had some tremendous acting chops, even back then. The enthusiasm and love of science among the three leads is also so infectious that it'll make you want to go outside and do some exploring of your own. In his heyday, Joe Dante managed to elicit strong feelings of nostalgia, innocence, tension, and childlike wonder into practically all of his works. This unfortunately makes the finished product all the more frustrating as the final third is hampered by some truly awkward looking and poorly made special effects and some clunky storytelling. Without giving anything away, let's just say that all of the questions and ideas raised throughout the film are not given any satisfying closure and we are capped off with what feels like a scene out of a Looney Tunes cartoon (and not in a good way). The underwhelming ending combined with some pointless subplots that go nowhere make for a movie that feels unfinished and thus unsatisfying. Still, there's enough good here to at least make it worth checking out at least once.
September 12, 2016
Muito divertido como só Joe Dante sabe fazer. É legal ver RIver Phoenix e Ethan Hawke crianças com excelentes atuações.
August 31, 2016
I tend to agree with the Critic's Consensus, where it praises it for wit, effects, and charm. It was fun seeing the kids "dream" without being so sugary sweet that I wanted to turn it off, and to not have to cover the eyes of little ones, even while watching so-called "kids" movies. It charmed me. No deep messages here except for one which does, in my opinion, deserve attention. No hard sells or repeated themes to nausea here, and enough to keep you watching without pain. Some better kid acting than most offerings on the Disney channel, too. (Go little Ethan!)
August 6, 2016
When I first saw this movie years ago, I watched in total fascination! Not bad for an unfinished movie.
½ June 12, 2016
Pas franchement passionnant, mais diablement sympathique et original, Explorers est un pur film des 80s, un film d'aventures enfantines mais pas infantiles, dirigé de main de maître par un Joe Dante rôdé à ce genre d'oeuvres. C'est un plaisir de découvrir les débuts d'Ethan Hawke, entouré de River Phoenix, Jason Presson et Robert Picardo avec des effets spéciaux parfaitement désuets mais qui devaient être novateurs pour l'époque. On ne peut alors que regretter que le film s'écroule dans son troisième acte, en manquant totalement son côté fantastique. Il n'empêche qu'Explorers reste une sympathique carte postale de son époque, à l'image des Goonies.
May 5, 2016
I would love to remake this movie.