Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald Reviews

½ December 16, 2018
Badly made. Can someone tell anyone to create less of the movie in the dark. Just a bit more light. Also. Adding reputable actors trying to save a story that is dead... Just did not work. This is a badly made movie. Good storyline maybe. But just bad bad bad movie.
December 16, 2018
A lot of the storyline just didn't make sense. Unfortunately, it seems like an unneeded "filler" movie to extend this series.
December 16, 2018
I confusing monotonous story with forced situations spiced up by some plot twists, falls far away from the first delivery
½ December 16, 2018
I actually enjoyed the film. But some subplots seemed neither useful nor intriguing to me, and they made fantastic beasts become nothing other than fancy decorations.
December 16, 2018
I think this was the best Harry Potter related film of them all. I went for some escapist fun, and that is what I got.
December 16, 2018
I didn't like the first movie (I fell asleep in the theater and had to watch it again on TV). But I wanted to like this one, I really wanted. What a letdown!
What I hated about this movie:
- The pace: soooooo boring. Damn, I almost fell asleep again. Twice!
- The plot: One major flaw of the first movie was the characters. People generally liked Newt and Tina, but hated Queenie, Jacob and Creedance. In this movie, here we go again. 3/4 of the movie is dedicated to Creedance backstory and Jacob/Queenie "complicated" relationship.
- So many useless subplots: soooo many backstories, sooooo many red herrings.
- The acting: I didn't see Grindelwald. I saw Johnny Depp with a ton of makeup.
- Fanservice: Oh, god, the fanservice is so heavy in this one. The plot is so unnecessary convoluted, stretched and boring, they had to put a million references to the HP universe, so that people can be excited. "Look! It's the guy from HP" / "Look! It's that stuff from HP"...

In conclusion, the fantastic beasts saga is The Hobbit of Harry Potter. Boring prequels filled with streched boring plot and a ton of fanservice.
Pretty but forgettable.
December 16, 2018
Though not really fantastic but this movie is definitely a crime, just not of Grindelwald.
December 16, 2018
Loved it! The film treated its audience like intelligent adults who are capable of thought and following a complex narrative. As a fan of the original Harry Potter books and movies as well it pulled in interesting little snippets of information I remember from the 6th and 7th books in particular. It built beautiful and unique magical parts. There were some quick and frequent scene changes in parts but it felt purposefully done to provide a sense of urgency and tension that culminated well at the end. Its a franchise that is leaving itself somewhere to go.
½ December 15, 2018
It had some great special effects and the beasts were the best thing of the film. Jude Law is a good Dumbledore. But other than this, the film doesnt have much going for it. Its all over the place and overall messy plotwise. The characters have no development and didnt make sense
½ December 15, 2018
Terrible. Lazyness pervades this film at every turn through endless narrations and too many disconnected plots that are not worth the effort required to make sense of them.
½ December 15, 2018
its not a terrible film but for sure not the best film you'll see just too many characters that came in on top of the previous ones, it felt like i needed to read the book before to understand what was going on
December 15, 2018
I've not been this shook in a long time! I'm thankful for the plot, action, and the cast - all of which made this movie a huge success!
December 15, 2018
Wasn't too fussed. Very confusing exposition dump a few of times though.
December 15, 2018
In fact, to everyone who knows Harry Potter series well, this could be a really enjoyable movie
This movie is amazing
Didn't like it.
Confusing.
Upsetting.
Angering.
Infuriating.
Frustrating.
Irritating.

Didn't like the first Fantastic Beasts either. And yet I loved Harry Potter.
½ December 15, 2018
I'm a Newt fan but the Fantastic Beast franchise needs to lighten up and become more whimsical.
December 15, 2018
The movie had a pretty good story overall, but it was very confusing and some of the plot twists left made me feel no emotion. Also, the final reveal destroyed Harry Potter continuity, something they have been very good about.
December 15, 2018
can't wait for the other 3 movies.