Father of Invention - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Father of Invention Reviews

½ March 15, 2016
To make great drama, you need it to be ultimately believable: to do great comedy, you have to make it laugh-out-loud funny, enough that the unbelievable moments don't matter. Like many films, this opts for a half-in, half-out approach that neither approaches believability, nor humour.
The 2-dimensional 'angry lesbian' character was kind of amazingly offensive, even to someone as opposed to political correctness as myself, but unfortunately not offensive in an amusing way. Heather Graham can do better.
And Kevin Spacey doesn't have that over-the-top quality that really lends itself to comedy. He's too restrained, forceful, unendearing.
You can tell it's trying to go for that quaint, half-comedy thing that The Darjeeling Limited had, but it falls flat. I think this is largely down to Spacey's shtick, which just isn't quaint. And neither is the script...
Have to admit though.. the emotional kick at the end got to me - as unbelievable as it was, it got to me. That's the magic of cinema, I guess.
½ August 5, 2015
½ March 8, 2015
Not a great movie, but I loed how it ends...
September 12, 2014
Maybe it's because we've come to expect so much of Spacey with all the dark and wry characters he's played, but this is just bland and far too sentimental.
August 1, 2014
The sad thing is, I watched this movie AFTER seeing the ratings .... I just couldn't believe Kevin Spacey could be in a bad movie. Truth is, this guy's face is pleasant enough so that no matter how terrible the movie is, you can still get through it.
½ June 4, 2014
Someone forgot to edit the drama and add the comedy.
May 1, 2014
A beautiful little movie that you don't have to take so seriously.
½ April 24, 2014
Well, Kevin spacey puts out another great performance... The film is okay, not great.
April 4, 2014
Kevin como siempre esta muy bien. Buena.
January 11, 2014
Very sweet, but awful use of Spacey, predictable, depressing, and full of dumb unneeded cliches.
December 24, 2013
Not if I'm excited for this.
November 24, 2013
I am not quite sure where I place Kevin Spacey as an actor. Some moments I really enjoy watching him and others, I am not so sure. However this overall was enjoyable. Camilla Belle has to be the standout in this one and she should have a bright future. Heather Graham was rather patchy and showed potential but didn't quite live up to it, a bit like her career. It is hard to take Johnny Knoxville seriously in any role but he did well enough. Anna Anissimova had stage presence. Quite a compelling story line and one of the better movies I can remember Kevin Spacey in.
½ November 20, 2013
A guy who used to invent now is in bad shape. He has to reinvent himself first and then achieve the success. An avg film.
August 2, 2013
I have no idea how this movie could get 0% from the critics. It is actually a pretty good story and there are some really funny scenes in the movie. Yes, it isn't a film you are going to remember as amazing, but you should like it - Johnny Knoxville is also really really funny in this movie.
½ April 27, 2013
It's Ok but not that good .
½ February 13, 2013
Robert Axle is a millionaire infomercial guru. His life is going great until one of his products maims thousands of people. After serving around a decade in prison for gross negligence, he returns to the world, only to find his money gone, and his empire in ruins. Before he can rebuild all that however, he must first deal with his nutty ex-wife, and her new lover who is obsessed with him, and rebuild his relationship with his estranged daughter, as well as her man hating roommate, his new boneheaded boss, and the man who has taken over his old company.

This is a star-studded dramedy, and it's pretty decent. It's got a lot of the same old same old in the broad strokes of the plot and themes, but it's definitely the cast and their performances who make it all worth it. Spacey is great as Axle, and it's fun seeing him with goofy facial hair and looking like a bum. Virginia Madsen is okay, but underused as his e. Craig Robinson is fun as her lover, Camilla Belle is okay, but probably the weakest link as Axle's daughter, and then we get an okay, but also underused John Stamos as the business rival, and delightful work from Johnny Knoxville as the boneheaded boss (and he really is solid. I'm serious.) and Heather Graham as the bitchy roommate.

Had the cast not been decent, then this wouldn't be as enjoyable or memorable. I did like it aside from then, but it really isn't all that original. It is fairly well played and decently shot though, so yeah, if you want a good redemption story as well as proof that Knoxville has a bit of chops, then give this a shot.
January 31, 2013
I know this movie is a little predictable.. but you know what ..it makes you feel good and somehow happy. I think movies do not have to be too complicated..... I enjoyed it. Now, would this movie be a hit in the movie theater..I doubt it..but if you are feeling down...I recommend to rent it and after you watch it ..you will feel somehow good: )
January 27, 2013
wow! kevin spacey is on point and gives another performance that is true and refreshing. great script and wonderful characters. craig robinson was awesome. really enjoyed being entertained. good gem!
½ January 5, 2013
Started good, then turned sentimental and kitchy toward the end.