Fatso Reviews

• Sep 26, 2020

Fatspoloitation at its cheapest. A few funny moments with Dom DeLuise conversing fattalk in his apartment, but the budget almost looks like it was shot-on-video, to a point where it feels more avant-garde instead of a actual movie.

• Jul 06, 2020

Classic film that any self respecting Italian American should treasure. Not a week has gone by in the past 30 years that I haven’t quoted this film.

• Jun 30, 2020

Story/Screenplay: (3/5) Not bad, but clearly not something I'd add to a movie marathon, either. Other than giving me cravings for Italian food and sweets, I wasn't moved by the content of this story. It's nice, which is something, but I would have liked to see something more. Duration/Tempo: (3/5) At 1 hour and 33 minutes, it's a very short film that felt a tad longer. Cast & Crew: (3.5/5) Dom DeLuise was warm and lovable. Great casting choice. Summary: (3/5) The cast was good, the story was average, and the film felt a bit longer than I would have preferred. Overall, a borderline thumbs down.

• Oct 17, 2019

This is a good movie, both funny and sad. It's loaded with some of the funniest scenes ever regarding weight loss and the cast led by Dom Deluise drops the pounds on you by the truck load. But it's also able to sadly depict the real struggles so many have with weight loss and self image. Ignore the snotty critics who passed on this film. Laugh along with Dom while you get an inside look at what it must be like to be held captive inside an obese body.

• Jun 25, 2019

Aside from the fact that Deluise is hilarious in this film, it is a picture of a time and place that no longer exists - the vibrant Italian American communities of NYC, still very much connected to their immigrant beginnings. Italian America has a unique relationship with eating - there are cultural reasons why Deluise is the way he is in this film. And that is perhaps why I have a fondness for Fatso. I can see how those who are unfamiliar with that community wouldn't get some parts of the film. That said this film was directed by a woman and was shot by a woman (the first woman to DP a Hollywood film ever), and it's about an immigrant community which was not welcomed in the US with open arms. I can't help but think in 2019, that that is a factor in some of the original reviews of the film from 1980.

• Feb 25, 2019

Maybe you need to be either Italian, overweight, or both, to thoroughly enjoy this classic. Alternating between comedy and drama, the critical reviews don't do this film the justice it deserves. It's close to ranking right up there with "Moonstruck"!

• Jan 18, 2019

Not funny - wouldn't have been back then either

Not funny - wouldn't have been back then either

• Nov 26, 2018

I cannot believe this movie has not had better reviews over the years! As one who struggles with overeating I found it incredibly human; raw with sadness, hilarity, gluttony, self acceptance and rejection all at once! Of course I prefer this genre of humor, it may not be for everyone, but I found the film very enjoyable. Hats off to Bancroft, RIP.

• Oct 28, 2018

This is a charming film. Shot back in a time when stories were still possible and films were more than a series of jump cuts like some skateboard video for YouTube. Dom Typically was a comic actor and seeing him as a more complex character was really great. The problems people have with obesity are relevant now as they were then and this film show it beautifully.

• Feb 07, 2018

I'm a fan of Dom, but other than a couple good jokes, this was simply a poor effort.