Fish Tank - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fish Tank Reviews

April 27, 2018
Brilliant and original.
½ March 26, 2018
All the adjectives that come to mind when thinking about this movie have already been used thousands of times, but they're the only ones that I can imagine describing it with. It's gritty, it's bleak, it's depressing, and it lacks all Hollywood magic and fairytale endings. But it's real. It's so real that I left the movie with a strange attachment to Kate Jarvis' character; I had a hard time pushing the movie out of my head quickly. This movie gets us so close to the characters and so inside of their universe that it's borderline voyeuristic.I think that's what makes it so good- it's truly a movie you get lost in, and one that doesn't try to be surreal or magical or lovely. You're simply living another person's life for two hours, and you're left to ponder its contents hours after the screen goes blank. If you're not convinced by all the weird pretentious metaphors I just spewed, see it for Kate Jarvis. She seriously does an amazing job in this film, probably because she was living a very close life to that of her character's before she was scouted for the movie. It's real and it's raw and it's teeming with emotion- all the wrong kinds, which is something important for movies to have every now and then.
½ December 30, 2017
The movie was better than I expected. I hated Connor but loved Michael Fassbender as him. I liked the movie but it's not really something that I'd watch again.
½ December 10, 2017
Fresh and all-around good film.
May 13, 2017
Be warned. There's a good chance this movie will make you uncomfortable for 2 straight hours. However, it's well worth the journey.
May 12, 2017
Fishtank is that rare kind of film that leaves an impression on you. Maybe, I can relate to grotty, lower socio-economic areas and the kind of indolence and vice that can be found in them? The cast are very real and believable and even though the young female lead has a passion, that doesn't mean she will have the drive and ambition to match. In a way, this sort of drab suburban life while repellant, can also be a comfort zone. Now, I don't want to sound sexist but seriously, that young girl's aloof, indifferent mother, sizzles up the screen and has my vote for Best British MILF in an Indie Movie. Just saying...
February 28, 2017
½ February 11, 2017
A top notch British film about a girl struggling to get out of an Essex estate. Realness. Excellent this and some really superb acting all round.
½ January 27, 2017
In May of 2016, Andrea Arnold's fourth feature film American Honey won the Cannes Film Festival Jury Prize (pretty much the celebration's third place). However, this wasn't the first time she had a film entered at Cannes. It wasn't even her first time winning the Jury Prize there. Arnold's second feature, Fish Tank, earned this distinction as well back in 2009. Because I liked American Honey so much (#11 of 2016), I figured I might as well check out Fish Tank since it was streaming on Netflix.

Fish Tank is the story of Mia, a reckless fifteen-year-old living in a downtrodden neighborhood outside London with her borderline wicked single mother. Mia aspires to be a dancer one day but really seems to take more pleasure into fucking shit up for now. There's not a ton of plot for most of this film, just a lot of meandering about town, but it does have some really touching moments in the second half. Michael Fassbender, before he became big swinging dick Michael Fassbender, is great in a supporting role. I have to assume Quentin Tarantino saw this film before making him one of the breakout stars of Inglorious Basterds the next year.

Fish Tank has much more in common with American Honey than just Cannes accomplishments. They are both coming of age films. They both star a young woman with zero prior acting experience (Fish Tank's Katie Jarvis was discovered while having a fight with her boyfriend out in public). Lastly, they both feature astounding, hip-hop leaning soundtracks (Nas, Eric B & Rakim, Gang Star, and Bobby Womack are playing throughout the film on various radios and TV's).
January 20, 2017
Andre Arnold sure knows how to capture the feel of urgency and the nuances of urban life.
December 6, 2016
Great little gem. Reminded me of the Vagabond on more than one occasion.
½ November 17, 2016
Katie Jarvis and MIchael Fassbender are awesome. That was my main thought as the story gets more tension and uncomfortable leading to a last act that twists enough to have you watching intensely to see just how bad it will get.
October 25, 2016
Tour-de-force in your face, pure british suburb trash. As it should be raw and harsh, no easy survival. Suddenly a flash of love, of course its false. Pain, hate and regret, pure blossoming of uncontrolled feelings getting empowerdly overcooked.
September 17, 2016
A heartbreaking coming-of-age film that commits to exposing Mia's grimy surroundings in their entirety. The plot has an arc, but the main thing that changes as the film progresses is her level of awareness.
Effective, but it is not for everyone.
June 6, 2016
a lot of people really love this film because it's a great "coming of age" film -- or whatever verbiage you prefer... but i think i'm one of the people that found it kind of depressing. definitely a drama. nothing good really happens. i feel extremely sad for those kids.
May 19, 2016
Briliant cast. M. Fassbender great as always. Raw K. Jervis. 35mm. Low-class realism at it's best.
April 15, 2016
Gripping - can't get it out of my mind a week later
½ April 11, 2016
Boring and sad. What is the purpose of this movie...other than to drag on for over two hours while watching a bored,under-educated, directionless young lady who lives in the slums in England? The "reality" of this film has no redeeming social value. Do not waste your time on this sad film.
March 24, 2016
A deep teen drama like the life itself.