The Fisher King - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fisher King Reviews

½ September 5, 2017
Another fantastic Terry Gilliam piece. He never disappoints.
July 10, 2017
Life can throw anything at you, it's up to you to decide how you deal with it, like life The Fisher King lacks any real direction and is oddly paced, but it is saved by its huge heart courtesy of the irrepressible Robin Williams.
½ April 25, 2017
Odd and manic but ultimately engrossing thanks to the great two lead performances of Williams and Bridges and a solid supporting performance by Mercedes Ruehl. It also has a good plot and a well written script that nicely balances the more eccentric elements with the grounded real life romance and drama. It is also well shot, has a decent score and the design of the hallucinatory red knight is great.
January 30, 2017
The Fisher King is surely eccentric but only as much as its own characters are. The result is a fantasy that provides an avenue for understanding grief and its solution. The movie rides as a comedy, psychological thriller, and epic.
½ January 3, 2017
Lydia: You don't have to say nice things to me. It's a bit old fashioned, considering what we're about to do.
Parry: What are we about to do?
Lydia: You're walking me home.
Parry: Uh-huh.
Lydia: I think you're a little attracted to me.
Parry: Yeah.
Lydia: Hmm. You'll probably want to come upstairs for some coffee.
Parry: I don't drink coffee.
Lydia: And we'll probably have a drink and talk and get to know each other a little bit better. Get comfortable. And then you'll.....you'll sleep over. And in the morning, you'll be distant. And you won't be able to stay for breakfast. Maybe just as cup of coffee.
Parry: I don't drink coffee.
Lydia: And then we'll exchange phone numbers and you'll leave. And never call. And I'll go to work and feel so good--for the first hour! And ever so slowly, I'll turn into a piece of dirt. I don't know why I'm putting myself through this. It was really nice to meet you. 'Night. (She runs off down the street)
Parry: 'Night....(a pause, then he runs after her) Excuse me! Wait! Just-hey-sorry, wait, one minute-hey, excuse me! Please wait, wait!
Lydia: No, listen, I'm not feeling very well...
Parry: Well, no wonder. We just met, made love and broke up all in the space of 30 seconds and I don't remember having the first kiss, which I think is the best part.
Lydia: Look, it was so very special to me and I had such a wonderful time...
Parry: (overlapping above) It was to me too. But I think it's time you should shut up now. Shut up please? (she shuts up) I'm not coming up to your apartment. That was never my intention.
Lydia: Ohh God, you don't want to...(embarrassed)
Parry: Oh no, I want to. I have a hard-on for you the size of Florida. But I don't want just one night. I have a confession I have to make to you.
Lydia: You're married?
Parry: No.
Lydia: You're divorced?
Parry: No.
Lydia: You have a disease?
Parry: No, please stop...I'm in love with you.
(Lydia looks at him like he's completely nuts, not believing him. Parry shakes head, puts a hand toward her mouth softly)
Parry:: And not just from tonight. I've known you for a long time. I know you come out from work at noon every day and you fight your way out that door and then you get pushed back in and three seconds later you come back out again. I walk with you to lunch and I know if it's a good day, if you stop and get that romance novel at that bookstore. I know what you order, and I know that on Wednesdays you go to that Dim Sum parlor and I know that you get a jawbreaker before you go back in to work. And I know you hate your job and you don't have many friends and I know sometimes you feel a little uncoordinated and you don't feel as wonderful as everybody else and feeling as alone and as separate as you feel you are...I love you... ...I love you...and I think you're the greatest thing since spice racks and I would be knocked out several times if I could just have that first kiss. And I won't, I won't be distant. I'll come back in the morning and I'll call ya if you let me... But I still don't drink coffee.
(Long pause, Lydia slowly touches Parry's face)
Lydia: You're real...aren't you?
(Parry smiles, and quietly laughs)
(They kiss)
November 27, 2016
Typical 80s sentimentality. Expected Robin Williams manufactured lunacy. Well acted. Predictable. Meh ...
November 5, 2016
The Fisher King is funny, poignant and heartbreaking, with strong performances from Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges.
August 25, 2016
Along with great acting, this is one of the best genre bending of fantasy and reality in any movie I've seen.
August 12, 2016
Slightly uneven but altogether wholesome, Terry Gilliam's scope and imagination manifests itself in his two leads with impressive care. The Fisher King does not hesitate to express its unique form and confidently hits every note it reaches. Wildly underrated movie and one of Williams' best works.
March 24, 2016
Reasonable film but didn't really captivate me and was a it of an effort to watch. So much so I gave up after an hour
½ March 5, 2016
Robin Williams exhibits a crazy performance, good film.
½ March 3, 2016
absolutely fantastic performances by Mercedes rhuel, Jeff bridges, and most importantly Robin williams. Starts out slow but it is just setting up the story, must see film .
½ February 17, 2016
An oscar-bait film with a terrific performance from Robin Williams. Although the film obviously has its strengths and is very intellectual in plot and form this film, unfortunately in my opinion, often shirks entertainment value for the all-too overpowering feeling of "This movie means something." While meaning something isn't a bad thing, it is just disappointing to see that this film probably won't be recognized by the average movie-goer and they will be wondering why Robin Williams' performance isn't hilarious rather than thinking hard about what the movie is trying to convey to you. The film is done no favors when the first scene doesn't charm you into Jeff Bridges character and instead makes you feel a certain contempt for him that is hard to truly forgive, even after all his development in the last part of the film. A well-constructed, all-around solid film lacking in popcorn eating value and something the audiences probably remembered more for the weird pyrotecnics than anything else.
January 10, 2016
January 9, 2016
I had to see this a second game to truly appreciate. Well done...
December 13, 2015
The oddest, most screwball romantic drama with weird performances from Robin Williams as a psychotic homeless man and Jeff Bridges as a depressed radio talk show host.
December 6, 2015
Terry Gilliam solidifies his title as master of the avant garde with this tragicomedy. 'The Fisher King' makes great use of a phenomenal cast, Williams in particular, and showcases Gilliam's knack for impressive visuals.
½ October 23, 2015
It's strange to think that Gilliam didn't write this, because his style is absolutely perfect for it.
October 14, 2015
Familiar to anyone who has ever seen a Monty Python film, Terry Gilliam brings his trademark oddities to this otherwise very serious film. He seems an unusual choice for a movie tackling issues such as homelessness and deep-seated regret, but he pulls it off brilliantly. The Fisher King is a quirky and wild but also imaginative and touching story about friendship, redemption and true love. At times it seems as though the weirdness is all it's interested in, but when it needs to be it's as heart-warming and emotional as a film can be, and with stellar performances from the likes of Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges, what we get are likeable characters, funny moments, a romance that doesn't feel forced, contrived or out of place, and a movie that is instantly loved and not soon forgotten.