Flash Point Reviews

• Nov 26, 2018

i wonder those so called 'movie critics' that gave the feed back as "just another dumb action movie" actually watched the film or not? don't expected oscar's level acting or story line when u are watching an action pack movie. the finale fight scene is worths for the value!! can't name much movies that are better than this.

• Apr 20, 2018

Ummm boring not for me

Ummm boring not for me

• May 30, 2017

The story is paper thin, and the characters aren't the least bit compelling, which makes the tremendous action somewhat regrettable. Action sequences can be good without a strong narrative, but they can only be great if the audience is engaged. I was not engaged. However, the film's now-famous final showdown is a prime example of close quarters action with many cuts done legibly and with skilled choreography. American action cinema should take notes.

• Feb 08, 2016

Ever since I saw Donnie Yen in " Ip Man " I been watching his movies, but this one fails to delivered the goods. Yen attempts to bring in grapping and other mixed martial arts as his specialty. It would have worked of there were actually fighting scenes. Instead we have a long winded story withoit action. If you are going to try a new fight movie, there should of least be many fight scenes, I was disappointed. As that being said for this not being a great Donnie Yen movie, I give " Flashpoint " a C-.

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    Oct 01, 2015

One of the things Netflix has allowed me to do is to watch the films of one of the more unheralded modern martial arts actors in Donnie Yen. I don't think I'll ever get tired of talking about how great this guy actually is as a martial arts actor, particularly since he has managed to find longevity without his body completely breaking down on him like some of his contemporaries, Jackie Chan and Jet Li. Donnie never really took the risks Jackie Chan did, so that obviously has a lot to do with it. Because of that and the fact that he didn't transition to the U.S marketplace, though he will in appear in a Star Wars spin-off film. People in the know are definitely aware of this guy's talents and I think it's time that the world realizes just how good Donnie Yen is and has been for a really long fucking time. With that out of the way, this film isn't what I would call great. It's not what I would call good either, to be honest. It's just that there's really not a whole lot of action, at least until the last 20 minutes of the film, and the story is not really good either. Though, honestly, I found a lot of the film to be kind of cheesy and, actually, a bit of fun. Like Donnie Yen's character is a complete stereotype. Just a joke of a character. He walks around shirtless, literally looking like he's a model. He's also the type that does what he wants, when he wants and refuses to listen to his superiors for playing things by the book far too much. Just a complete joke of a character. It's not that the character is unlikable, but he's just a funny character without him ever being meant to be one. The story isn't any good, like it has no structure and no real flow to it, but it's a B-movie in that it's kinda goofy and over-the-top, so I think that that definitely made the film a whole lot more fun to watch even if I wouldn't call it good. The film does have its action sequences, but I don't think they're really that good or interesting. At least until the climax. The climax starts out as a gunfight scene that really didn't do much for me, once the various goons are eliminated and it's down to Donnie's character and the villain, then things get down to a martial arts fight. This is, obviously, the highlight of the film, because they get to go a long time and the fight choreography for this scene is excellent. If only the film had done more of this and maybe tightened up the story, it might've been a great martial arts film. As it stands, it's not even close to being good. There's some fun to be had here, but it's at the expense of the film and not necessarily something the film did itself. The one martial arts fight scene in the film is probably the only thing that you really need to see out of this. The rest can definitely be skipped out on, since this is not a good movie. It's average at best, so I can't exactly recommend it.

• Sep 23, 2015

Martial arts was awesome but the rest of the stuff was bland and has been done before. It was still nice to see Donnie yen kick ass, he is truly the next jet li and Jackie chan.

• Aug 10, 2015

Complete garbage. Not even worth explaining why. Save yourself some time and watch something else. If you must watch it, FF to 30 min remaining and watch the mediocre fight scenes. Nothing will make sense, but watching the entire movie won't fix that anyway.

• Lane Z Super Reviewer
    Apr 25, 2015

While Flash Point lacks the focus or in-depth story a typical Donnie Yen picture has, there is still enough toward the final half hour to keep this film on the list to watch. Anything Donnie Yen choreographed is definitely worth a watch in the first place, however, the direction doesn't quite match Yen's detail in the fight scenes. Instead of keeping Yen's character a focus of the entire film, we get a slow build to his introduction fully in the movie. Instead, we get introduced to the undercover cop and his relationship with the gang. You did get a good 'boss' fight in the end, but it lacks emotional substance with the uneven story building in the first hour. However, the grapples, elbows and knees are delivered so forcefully you wonder how any of the stunt guys made it out alive. While I've definitely seen better from Yen in past and present films, Flash Point is still enjoyable enough to see him deliver a few good one-liners and fists of fury to make a statement.

• Apr 18, 2015

I enjoy Donnie Yen, but he sure seemed to phone this performance in. There is some decent martial arts action, but the story is slow and only mildly interesting. Seems like a money grab instead of an honest attempt at a movie.

• Oct 25, 2014