Flight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Flight Reviews

July 22, 2016
****
Denzel Washington excels in Robert Zemeckis' plane crash drama, which explores some interesting themes and poses some good questions, as well as looking fantastic.
July 3, 2016
Despite an under developed sub plot, Flight is largely a sucess thanks to Denzel's great performance and the interesting character study of him. An engaging and thoughtful film.
½ June 18, 2016
it was good enough watch, with a good performance from denzel. Interesting twist at the end, that you almost don't expect, but fair play. Decent enough. Left wondering how someone can be that drunk and still fly a plane.
½ May 16, 2016
One of Denzel's best performances!
April 21, 2016
Disturbing character portrayed in a drawing performance as a stubborn alcoholic immersed in false pride and ego was so absorbing, involving, connecting and could not take my eye off for a second in what I thought was a too lengthy movie when I saw the runtime. Denzel Washington gives the best performance of whatever I have seen of him and carries the entire movie on his broad shoulders. The special effects in the initial flight crash is on par but not to the extent of the hype surrounding it. The supporting cast deliver apt performances to keep the quality of the movie consistent throughout.

For long I have been a sucker for Zemeckis sensibilities as a director. Having watched most of his movies, Zemeckis was involved in a wide array of genres be it science fiction, fantasy, children, drama, horror, thriller etc., some more successful than others, none showed his lack of ability (maybe horror to an extent).

Captain Whip Whitaker (Denzel Washington) is an experienced airline pilot and an alcoholic. On a stormy day, he comes to duty high on alcohol and cocaine but skillfully guides the plane through turbulence. A little later the flight encounters a mechanical malfunction and goes for a nose dive. With an instinctive mind, he inverts the flight to control the decent and miraculously crash lands it in a field. What could have been a total disaster with more than 100 passengers on board is averted and leads to only 6 causalities. Then the investigation starts.

Denzel Washington was so natural as the stubborn drunk who is always difficult to deal with. His mumbles when drunk were nothing short of legendary. So are the scenes when he tries to meet his family, initial scenes at the hospital etc. Kelly Reilly was excellent in 'Eden Lake' and she is nothing short here too. She has a unique voice diction and I love it. John Goodman is quirky and lightens some intense moments while Bruce Greenwood and Don Cheadle give apt performances.

During the initial part of the movie, there is a little sequence in the hospital between Washington, Reilly and another cancer patient. That was the instant I got drawn in until which it was mostly the terrific flight crash sequence. The movie tend to go spiritual at times but only lingers as long as you can stand it. With only Washington's difficult character to focus on, the screenplay does a tremendous job in holding the viewer's attention when the protagonist stumbles from one depressing scenario to another. The epiphany and the climax is a tad predictable and could have done well without. No faults to find in editing and background score is apt and elevates in some scenes. It is not everyones cup of tea but once you sink in with some patience, I don't see anyone regretting it.

Denzel Washington show in a compelling character study with Zemeckis sensibilities.
½ April 18, 2016
A good movie. This film has one of the craziest opening scenes I have seen recently. It was not what I was expecting but I still enjoyed the movie.
½ March 30, 2016
Flight is very moving, with an incredible performance by Denzel Washington and an excellent script this could make a great Zemeckis film. Well I don't see it as one of his best just more or less just another drama film. Some flaws, but I'm glad I saw it.
March 9, 2016
Not very entertaining by a well-made movie with good performances from Washington, Goodman, and Cheadle.
February 27, 2016
Nothing new, but still a drama to see Denzel have a comeback
February 25, 2016
Were goin inverted!! Classic Denzel
February 5, 2016
Great movie. Denzel does it again.
½ February 2, 2016
El piloto de una aerolínea es también un adicto al alcohol y consumidor ocasional de cocaina. El capitán Whip Whitaker (Denzel Washington), luego de una noche de pasión con excesos de alcohol, en la velada previa al vuelo de la mañana, con la sobrecargo Katerina Márquez (Nadine Velazquez)., tendrá que usar cocaína para mantenerse alerta y vencer el sueño y cansancio propio de los excesos cometidos. Los comportamientos anómalos del capitán, llamarán la atención de la tripulación, pero éste reaccionará cuando un imperfecto mecánico requiera toda la expertisia del piloto en una situación crítica que puede costarle la vida a más de 100 personas. Luego de una serie de maniobras peligrosas, el capitán consigue aterrizar la nave salvando la vida de la mayoría de la tripulación y los pasajeros, no obstante las investigaciones que inicia la Compañía Nacional de Seguridad y Transporte, tienen puesta la mirilla en Whitaker, entre los posibles responsables. El héroe podría pasar a ser un villano si se descubre su desordenada vida y niveles de adicción. No obstante, siempre queda la duda de si fue la cocaina, lo que lo capacitó para las casi imposibles maniobras que hizo para salvar a la nave, o si lo logró pese a la cocaína... An airline pilot is also a cocaine-addicted and alcoholic. The captain, Whip Whitaker (Denzel Washington) was having an affair with a flight attendant, Katerina Márquez (Nadine Velazquez). The night before the tragic flight, they had an intese night of sex, alcohol and little sleep. He used cocaine to be awake and alert for the flight, In the middle of the flight, the pilot will face a mechanical failure which will cause many malfunctions in the plane. The captain will have to manouver to avoid a terrible accident, however he is forced to execute an emergency landing. After the crash, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) will start the investigations to find the responsible. Captain Whitaker, a hero, after saving the lives of several passengers in that flight due to his expertise as pilot. , might be also the villain if they NTSB discover his addiction to alcohol and cocaine dependence. Withaker will have to face a deep investigation that might show that he is not the hero that everybody think, but an alcoholic with several problems to face his own reality. Excellent music, great dialogues.,,
½ January 30, 2016
looks like a good movie from the preview
January 23, 2016
I really enjoyed this film, even more so the second time I watched it. There's a real sense of reality about it. It's almost like you're watching real people rather than actors. Denzel Washington is a brilliant actor as everyone knows and he's on top form in this one. The stories great not so much about an air crash or even an air crash investigation, it's all about the main characters inner demons. The crash is really just a stage set for the main story and that's what I liked. The first time I watched I thought it was all about an air disaster, it's not. At the end when Whittaker admits to everyone at the hearing he's an alcoholic, you believe every word he says. He doesn't over act he just nails it. That's what makes him so great. The supporting cast are all good especially Don Cheadle who normally I don't like. Washington however casts a big shadow which is hard to step out from.
January 22, 2016
Kinda Cool Leaving Las Vegas With A Plane & Some Redemption...!
January 18, 2016
Flight is nothing less than awesome!! Writing and acting are great. Direction was good. The funny parts were great cause they seemed real. As in The Master this captures alcoholism pretty good. One kinda cheesy scene at the end, but nothing to really complain about.
December 31, 2015
A great visualization from director Robert Zemeckis for making a movie about someone who should be the hero to become the zero and letting the audiences in a gray vote, to vote for him or to blame him.. Denzel Washington undoubtedly gave his best performance for making a performance that actually a jackass but looks like a hero.. The story itself is simple, audiences didn't have to think hard about the story, they just need to make their choices for whom they should stand for.. Overall, Zemeckis once again successfully stole my heart with this movie..