Flight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Flight Reviews

January 10, 2017
This is a powerful movie. It starts with an commercial plane crash (which will reassure you as to why you should listen when passengers are told to keep their seat belts fastened). The pilot takes control of the plane but rather than being heralded a hero, his life afterwards spirals in revelation of his alcohol addiction. The effect of a flawed protagonist on audience empathy is always interesting and emotions towards him and his actions certainly oscillate during its duration thanks to Denzel Washington's stellar performance.
½ January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 2, 2017
A little slow after the plane crash, but an interesting story. Denzel is always good.
½ December 28, 2016
Great film! Washington turns in his usual brillance once more. Goodman sprinkles of his own as well... Addiction is a brutal thing and sometimes we pay the piper, although in this case it sure seemed like it was undeserving (of course that is subjective). Washington's character handles it like a man in the end, in his own way of course (LoL he just has to make a call to Goodman in order to do it).
November 13, 2016
A smart screenplay, excellent direction, and a powerful performance from Denzel Washington, Flight lives up to its title.
November 3, 2016
Spoiler alert!!! It felt as if the 12 Step Program, Grey Goose vodka, and Jim Beam pulled together their funds and bought themselves a movie with a really big star in it. Only the first 20 or so minutes are watchable, the rest of the movie is an incoherent babble with everything but a kitchen sink thrown into it to pull as many heart strings as possible. Except this part of the script was written by someone with a psychology degree issued by Seven Eleven, and it was tedious, implausible and vomit-inducing.
October 30, 2016
My husband & I watched this movie last night for the first time and we loved it! I have always been a huge fan of Denzel Washington! He plays a great character in this movie! This is a must see movie!
½ September 25, 2016
The most disturbing film to come from Robert Zemeckis, and Denzel Washington's performance is equally as dark.
½ September 25, 2016
Con un'altra interpretazione magistrale Denzel Washington dimostra di essere uno tra i pił talentuosi attori in circolazione. Il film ha una trama molto interessante che, grazie ad una ottima sceneggiatura, mette in luce fin dall'inizio un personaggio difficile e contraddittorio.
September 24, 2016
Robert Zemeckis crafts a powerful and thought provoking story about redemption propelled by Denzel Washington's noteworthy performance.
½ September 4, 2016
DW's best performance ever. Accurate portrayal of an alcoholic and the power the disease has over its victims
½ August 22, 2016
great movie just slow at times
August 13, 2016
Great story. Addiction can be killer.
July 22, 2016
****
Denzel Washington excels in Robert Zemeckis' plane crash drama, which explores some interesting themes and poses some good questions, as well as looking fantastic.
July 3, 2016
Despite an under developed sub plot, Flight is largely a sucess thanks to Denzel's great performance and the interesting character study of him. An engaging and thoughtful film.
½ June 18, 2016
it was good enough watch, with a good performance from denzel. Interesting twist at the end, that you almost don't expect, but fair play. Decent enough. Left wondering how someone can be that drunk and still fly a plane.
½ May 16, 2016
One of Denzel's best performances!
April 21, 2016
Disturbing character portrayed in a drawing performance as a stubborn alcoholic immersed in false pride and ego was so absorbing, involving, connecting and could not take my eye off for a second in what I thought was a too lengthy movie when I saw the runtime. Denzel Washington gives the best performance of whatever I have seen of him and carries the entire movie on his broad shoulders. The special effects in the initial flight crash is on par but not to the extent of the hype surrounding it. The supporting cast deliver apt performances to keep the quality of the movie consistent throughout.

For long I have been a sucker for Zemeckis sensibilities as a director. Having watched most of his movies, Zemeckis was involved in a wide array of genres be it science fiction, fantasy, children, drama, horror, thriller etc., some more successful than others, none showed his lack of ability (maybe horror to an extent).

Captain Whip Whitaker (Denzel Washington) is an experienced airline pilot and an alcoholic. On a stormy day, he comes to duty high on alcohol and cocaine but skillfully guides the plane through turbulence. A little later the flight encounters a mechanical malfunction and goes for a nose dive. With an instinctive mind, he inverts the flight to control the decent and miraculously crash lands it in a field. What could have been a total disaster with more than 100 passengers on board is averted and leads to only 6 causalities. Then the investigation starts.

Denzel Washington was so natural as the stubborn drunk who is always difficult to deal with. His mumbles when drunk were nothing short of legendary. So are the scenes when he tries to meet his family, initial scenes at the hospital etc. Kelly Reilly was excellent in 'Eden Lake' and she is nothing short here too. She has a unique voice diction and I love it. John Goodman is quirky and lightens some intense moments while Bruce Greenwood and Don Cheadle give apt performances.

During the initial part of the movie, there is a little sequence in the hospital between Washington, Reilly and another cancer patient. That was the instant I got drawn in until which it was mostly the terrific flight crash sequence. The movie tend to go spiritual at times but only lingers as long as you can stand it. With only Washington's difficult character to focus on, the screenplay does a tremendous job in holding the viewer's attention when the protagonist stumbles from one depressing scenario to another. The epiphany and the climax is a tad predictable and could have done well without. No faults to find in editing and background score is apt and elevates in some scenes. It is not everyones cup of tea but once you sink in with some patience, I don't see anyone regretting it.

Denzel Washington show in a compelling character study with Zemeckis sensibilities.
½ April 18, 2016
A good movie. This film has one of the craziest opening scenes I have seen recently. It was not what I was expecting but I still enjoyed the movie.