Flushed Away - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Flushed Away Reviews

June 1, 2017
A decent tale that earns its laughs and heart, Flushed Away stands as good animated entertainment.
May 8, 2017
Aardman Animation is a studio best known for their works dealing with stop motion animation. More specifically, the Wallace & Gromit shorts that made the company famous. However, this all changed in 2006, when they, along with DreamWorks, released their film "Flushed Away" hoping for the same success that Aardman had with 2000's "Chicken Run" and 2005's "Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit". The end result? Eh, it's okay. While the movie itself is creative with its world and premise, it kind of loses itself with the story and pacing. "Flushed Away" may not be the best feature from Aardman, but it is their most creative feature by far.

The story follows Roddy (Hugh Jackman), a rat living a pampered life in England. (Where else in an Aardman feature?) This all changes as a sewer rat named Sid (Shane Richie) comes and takes over Roddy's home; resulting in Roddy being flushed down the toilet. Now in the sewers, Roddy finds an entire civilization filled with rodents, and must find a way out. Here, Roddy meets Rita (Kate Winslet), who offers to bring Roddy home in exchange for some jewels. But the evil Toad (Ian McKellan) and his henchmen (Andy Serkis and Bill Nighy) have something much more devious in store for them.

"Flushed Away" is an admirable piece of animation from Aardman. But that doesn't mean there some issues with the the film. However, let us take a look at the positives before the negatives.

What makes the movie stand out is its unique design. The backgrounds are creative, as this world presents itself with a lot of ideas for future adventures The water effects look quite good, and it works well within the universe that this movie creates. On top of this, the characters are a lot of fun, and have good chemistry with each other. From our heroes to our villains, everyone has something to remember you by. This, in turn, can be attributed to the performances given here. All of the performances range from being absolute fun, to over the top. Combining all of this together, we have a soundtrack with some interesting pop songs, and a well done orchestrated score that fits well with the action. But with that being said, the film does have its fair share of problems.

The story is kind of a jumbled mess. While it is creative with its world, the story, along with the pacing, creates a rather quick mess. There are a lot of coincidences present in the movie that are rather easy to foresee, and most of the action is rushed. If the movie took its time to slow down, then the final product would have been good. The biggest issue, however, can be attributed to the character animation. One can clearly see that the film was originally done in stop motion, and then converted in 3D. Which was ultimately the case. And because of this, the movie feels a out of place.

As it stands, "Flushed Away" isn't the best animated film from Aardman, but it's not the best either. If there had been some improvements, then we would have gotten a really creative project. But ultimately, it feels like a lot potential was wasted down the toilet.
½ April 29, 2017
Decent animated movie, nothing amazing though.
April 18, 2017
I like Hugh Jackman and Kate Winslet, just not so much this film. cute just didn't cut it...I was bored altogether!! Good effects though. Hey, gotta love all 3D animated stuff, even though not all of them are home runs =)
February 27, 2017
Very funny the story is clever and good animation Flushed Away is a very enjoyable film for all the ages not a 10 but it's very good
February 20, 2017
As a child, I loved this film. The plot was original, the cinematography was near perfect, animation quality was fantastic, the atmosphere presented itself neatly, and everything else was amazing.
February 18, 2017
I saw this on tv and watched it and I was not a fan of the movie
½ February 17, 2017
Roddy (Hugh Jackman) is a pampered pet rat who winds up getting flushed to the sewer by a usurper (Shane Richie). His path back to his literal gilded cage lies in a capable boat captain (Kate Winslet), but that avenue is complicated by the machinations of a gangster toad (Ian McKellen). Flushed Away has a modicum of the dry wit found in Aardman productions like Wallace & Gromit or Shaun the Sheep, but it also has far too much of the lazy jokes, inane pop culture references, trite use of well-worn pop songs, and seemingly half-finished computer animation found in a good number of Dreamworks productions. I laughed a couple of times while watching Flushed Away, but I found the package as a whole to be trite, tiresome, and disposable.
½ January 5, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 30, 2016
Fantastic claymation, brilliant voice cast, quality gags. Another brilliant effort from Aardman.
October 18, 2016
Aardman and Dreamworks go together so well.
August 19, 2016
It doesn't quite live up to Chicken Run and Wallace & Gromit, but Flushed Away still manages to serve as a great debut for Aardman into the world of CGI, thanks to visual appeal, great voice acting and humour that will appeal to both kids and adults.
August 18, 2016
Me encanta *-* <3
½ July 28, 2016
Flushed Away was clever, funny, witty, and it had great Aardman Animations.
July 6, 2016
Greatest movie of all time. British humour at its finest.
July 4, 2016
The slugs creep me out. I like the beginning but it got boring in between, the movie felt longer than it actually is.
June 27, 2016
Flushed Away is a pretty good movie overall. A movie about a house pampered rat that gets flushed away into the sewers is brilliant. The plot of this movie is also brilliant. I would suggest this movie.
June 10, 2016
The animation is very subpar,but the story is very decent,although the writing can be very weak. This is not ardmends best work but it still show's some c+ effort.
½ May 18, 2016
Entertaining but can be a little slow at times.