Formula 51 Reviews

• Jan 19, 2019

Drug dealing chemist entrepreneur creates a new strain of narcotics.

Drug dealing chemist entrepreneur creates a new strain of narcotics.

• Jan 18, 2019

Watched this the first time and found it terrible. Was stuck at home with nothing to do one night, years later and enjoyed the hell out of this. Profanity was a bit much but otherwise good for some laughs.

• Aug 21, 2017

Enjoyable movie. Definitely worth a watch.

Enjoyable movie. Definitely worth a watch.

• Aug 06, 2017

It got panned on its initial release. I liked it back then and I enjoyed it on this rewatch. Good fun, colourful characters and black humour. Meat Loaf is the balls "I'm truly ass-invaded".

• Mar 24, 2016

This is one of the best one-liner movies I've ever seen: - "Kiss the sun and taste the motherf***ing rainbow!" - "I meant to "take care of him," not f***ing take care of him!" - "Chicken Bollocks! Haha ha ha!" -"So what's the plan then? Massage? Maybe ya wanna go get some of that friend f***king chicken?" -"MDMA utilizes Serotonin. Opiates, like heroin, utilize dopamine. Sort of like the same sensation you get after sex. Amphetamines increase adrenaline. And cocaine gets those synapses in the brains firing really fast. My product is 51 times stronger than cocaine, 51 times more hallucinogenic than acid, and 51 times more explosive than ecstasy. It's like getting a personal visit... from God!" - Robert Carlyle: "Fish and chips. It's the national dish." Samuel L. Jackson: "More like a national disaster (before throwing the fish and chips out onto the street)." -"It takes 10 seconds for an imbibed liquid to reach the stomach... It takes the human body 81 seconds to heat that liquid to the point of chemical volatility... You have 12 seconds." - "Drugs. They kill you in the end!" I never fell more in love with Liverpool accents in any stage of life after watching this movie. It's also bloody amazing when Samuel L. Jackson kicks the Neo-Nazis' asses with his golf club while wearing a kilt.

• Sep 27, 2015

Entertaining merely for the kilt-wearing Samuel L.Jackson coming to England gimmick but there are 51 reasons not to watch it including its overacting, plot incoherence, excessive profanity and general poor attempts to replicate a Guy Ritchie film.

• Aug 01, 2015

In 1971, a policeman catches Elmo McElroy (Samuel L. Jackson), a recent college graduate with a degree in pharmacology, smoking marijuana. Because of his arrest and conviction, he is unable to find work as a pharmacologist. In the present day, a drug lord called "The Lizard" (Meat Loaf) calls a meeting with his organization, hoping to sell a brand new substance invented by Elmo. The meeting goes badly when Elmo, in a bid to escape from the Lizard's control, blows up the building, killing everyone but the Lizard. Vengeful, the Lizard contacts Dawn "Dakota" Parker (Emily Mortimer), a contract killer, who previously killed the only witness in a case against the Lizard. Dakota initially refuses the hit, but accepts when the Lizard offers to clear her gambling debts and give her a $250,000 bonus. Elmo leaves for Liverpool, England, where he meets Felix DeSouza (Robert Carlyle), a local "fixer" who has been sent by Leopold Durant, head of a local criminal organization, in exchange for two football tickets to a sold-out game. At the meeting, Elmo pitches POS 51, a synthetic drug that can be produced with minimal facilities and is 51 times as potent as other drugs. But Elmo´s plans for a quick, profitable score go awry when everything and everybody gets entangled in a bizarre web of double-dealing and double-crosses... With "51th State" we have yet another wanna be "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" contender pushing the witty action packed British gangster movie genre further, with larger than life characters, violence and fast-track directing and editing. Just like "Love, Honour and Obey" the year before, Ronny Yu and the production team tries to cash in on the Guy Ritchie formula and with some parts they actually succeed. Everything is about style, humour and pace, not so much about character development or telling a story with a plot we haven´t seen before. The difference here is the stand out character Elmo played by Samuel L. Jackson with charisma and a style you can´t miss even if he does what he normally does. Carlyle gets a bit lost in his role. The always lovely Emily Mortimer is good as Dakota, but seems to be partly out of her comfort zone (apparently she hated to work in this film). Meat Loaf can´t simply act and his character is the weakest one. And it seems that Sean Pertwee and Rhys Ifans keeps on ending up with the same sort of character over and over. "51th State" has its moments for sure, but it´s not really a keeper in the DVD shelf.

• May 24, 2015

The 51st State was surprisingly good.

The 51st State was surprisingly good.

• Apr 15, 2015

I enjoyed this film. (apparently the only one) It is cartoonish and over the top, but that seemed to work for it. Emily Mortimer is outstanding and Rhys Ifans is a delight.

• Jan 17, 2015

This could have been a great movie... but the editing was just terrible. Steller performances by Carlyle and Rhys Ifans, but Jackson was a weak link. Script was a bit childish... please spare me the toilet humor.