Freddy vs. Jason - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Freddy vs. Jason Reviews

½ August 15, 2017
Note that this score is based on the other Friday the 13th films. None of them are by any means that good, but when compared to the others they can be. The Nightmare on Elm Street movies I have not yet seen though, however.

For a Friday the 13th film, this is a 6.5/10 for me. For an actual movie, this would be a 4.9/10. My official ranking would be:

12. Jason X
11. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning
10. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
9. Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday
8. Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood
7. Freddy vs. Jason
6. Friday the 13th (2009)
5. Friday the 13th
4. Friday the 13th Part IV: The Final Chapter
3. Friday the 13th Part II
2. Friday the 13th Part III
1. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
½ August 15, 2017
Total nonsense, didnt make sense. Wasn't satisfying and totally boring.
½ August 11, 2017
Ok cheesy Jason Voorhees vs Freddy Krueger starring more random teenagers. This is in the top third most hyped movie fights in movie history, Freddy vs Jason, alien vs predator, and Batman v superman. The teenagers in this movie suck and they're trying so hard but it doesn't work at all. One positive thing I can say about this movie is the star power, two great icons coming together and then getting ruined once again. Power fights don't work in movies, only boxing, UFC or pro wrestling.
½ August 1, 2017
A funny crossover that only serves to watch two of the most legendary horror-icons fight each other, with no script or characters between.
July 23, 2017
Bloody,campy,fun, essential trashy viewing
½ July 20, 2017
I like the concept and the acting but everything else ranges from awful to meh.
½ July 10, 2017
Your average slasher movie just the killers fighting each other.
½ June 22, 2017
Okay so acting obviously wasn't too good but if your like me who watched this movie just to see them duke it out you SHOULD be satisfied even if it were for only a mere 15-20 minutes I give this movie and OK rating (it also really wasn't that scary)
June 15, 2017
This film was a fun film. Even though it was pretty cheesy, the Freddy Vs Jason scenes were excellent. Two of the best horror villains duking it out, a horror fanboy's dream. The plot of the film is that Freddy isn't killing people as much because people aren't scared of him. Freddy chooses to use Jason as his killing pawn. But after it doesn't go as planned Freddy comes to destroy Jason. Jason fights back from his nightmares and fears to claim what is his. I love both franchises and I was glad to see a film where they were pitted against each other. Yes, this isn't the best Friday film, but it's not the worst. This also isn't the worst Nightmare film also. Kane Hotter and Robert Englund were awesome as Jason and Freddy. It was cool to see two horror icons on the screen together. Yes some of the acting is cheesy, but the other elements are great. The soundtrack fits the film. The dream sequences are super neat and seeing them at Camp Crystal Lake at the end was cool. Overall, this film is a little cheesy but It makes up for it with the awesome battles and the awesome dream sequences

Rating: 6.0/10
June 9, 2017
Calling all fans of the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street franchises, Freddy vs. Jason delivers a must-see showdown between two of horror's most beloved, unstoppable villains with sharp writing, fun action sequences, energetic performances and a personalized retelling of its subjects' origins.
½ June 2, 2017
This is actually an enjoyable film. It's better than the previous Friday the 13th movie that led to this. To me this movie isn't really scary which is pretty sad considering that these characters are horror icons. This movie has everything you'd expect from a Freddy or a Jason film, gore and really dumb teens. It has that formula but it didn't really bother me because that was what we liked from those movies. The plot wasn't all that bad. Sure it wasn't a story that they worked super duper hard on but it's still pretty good for what it is. The fight scene is pretty cool and I think Freddy vs Jason is a good matchup for a fight. This movie really isn't all that bad. It's pretty decent. It's not really scary but I don't really know if it was fully meant to be. For fans of these franchises this is probably an amazing movie, but for everyone else, it will probably just be a meh. B-
½ May 15, 2017
Basic slasher film. The film tries to go into the psyche of both characters but the teens just mess it up. Some very bad acting.
April 3, 2017
It may not live up to expectations or the high bars set by each franchise's original film, but Freddy vs Jason is still a satisfyingly and brutally entertaining crossover. The opening successfully draws from the set ups in Jason Goes to Hell and Freddy Goes to Hell, the build up is reasonably paced, and the climactic fight is one of the best horror movie showdowns ever put to film.
March 19, 2017
B+

Fun to watch but not as fun as the originals.
March 11, 2017
Everything involving Freddy and Jason is great; everything involving the protagonists suck. But despite the severe lack of suspense and scares, it's entertaining as all hell. Just sit back and enjoy watching two of horror's biggest icons tear each other to shreds.
½ March 6, 2017
how this is at 41% is beyond me, i really think this is one of the worst movies ever made. I laughed so much at this movie its terrible the acting is some of the worst ever from a major Hollywood release, now I know these movies dont have good acting to begin with but never this bad
½ March 2, 2017
Good fan service and an ok amount of references to what we love but as much as the originals all had the charm of the best of the 80's and early 90's, this one suffers with everything the early 00's have to offer; leads that are too pretty for anyone to identify with, tired sarcastic dialogues, really not cool stoners and 5 years too late ravers. At points it forgets to even pretend to have a plot and becomes WWF between monsters. Every good idea is treated like an afterthought when, had they been true to the freddy series, they should have been the core.. Also i dont mind a bit of silly but stupid is not the same. Most of the time when they aim for classic Freddy creepiness, they miss. It's just my personal opinion but this should have been more Freddy than Jason as almost any slasher can do jason but only Freddy can do Freddy.
February 24, 2017
Well it had to happen at some point and I was always game for it, finally the two supernatural death dealers clash. The only thing that instantly springs to mind when writing about this is when will I see Michael Myers, Pinhead, Ash, Leatherface or Chucky join in on this horror icon mash?

You'd think the plot behind this would be silly but it actually kinda works in my opinion. Freddy seems unable to get it up anymore, he can't scare kids because everyone has forgotten about him. So he hatches a plan that involves raising Jason from the dead to bring terror back into kids lives hoping they will assume its him. Unfortunately for Freddy, Jason gets carried away and is killing way too many and spoiling Freddy's catch, thusly a fight ensues.

So yes just like 'AvP' this is merely an excuse to see two iconic characters fight, the only difference is this film sticks to its trusted formula and delivers plenty of carnage. Now I'm not saying this carnage is worthy of praise, lets be frank we've seen it all before, but at least you get what you expect with no beating around the bush.

Its all about the kills, Freddy does what he does best with his creepy dreamy imagery whilst Jason stomps around and hacks teenagers up. There isn't anything particularly ingenious or original going on here, the teen kills aren't exactly new and fresh and the adults running around trying to solve the issue do exactly the same thing they always do. I guess the fun part is seeing Jason upset Freddy by taking fresh kills away from him and causing tension between the two, inevitably this does result in small touches of dark humour which is cool.

Its definitely a much better looking flick than most of the previous incarnations, the productions values are clearly quite high as its all very glossy. My only concern was maybe a bit too glossy, could of done with a hint of grit or that classic low budget feel perhaps. For shame on the decision to use CGI blood spurts in a few places, that's not cool at all and a worrying modern trend. Also one or two moments in the heat of battle do become a bit too farcical for my liking, just loses its edge...not that it was overly scary in the first place of course.

End of the day if you're not a fan of gory slasher flicks or you don't follow them much then this isn't gonna change your mind. On the other hand if you're a fanboy or like me you simply like the two franchises then I think you'll like this a lot. Bottom line all this is really is fan service, but surprisingly its much better than you'd think.

Silly thing is both of these characters are basically invincible and can't be killed, you can do virtually anything to either of them and they will still come back. So in theory it can keep going forever which does make the whole premise kinda daft really, at no point was I ever thinking that one of them would actually win. We all know and accept this to a degree but it just makes the whole battle a bit pointless really, at least Jason didn't team up with the kids against Freddy, which it was slightly hinting towards near the end.

For lack of a better term...it does exactly what it says on the tin, and that's deliver a tidal wave of stereotypical killings and setups but with the huge added bonus of seeing both Freddy and Jason slug it out. OK I admit it...its pretty much completely for the fanboys, but if you're a fanboy then get that handcream ready cos its geekgasm time!
February 8, 2017
this is probably the best Jason and Freddy movie which is not saying much although the kills and Jason vs Freddy fight was cool.
½ January 26, 2017
This is a fun, epic battle between two of horror's greatest icons.