The French Connection II Reviews

• Jul 16, 2020

It really brings little new to the table.

It really brings little new to the table.

• Feb 04, 2019

This movie is based on fact, so it seems the Froggy police couldn't catch a cold let alone a major international drug smuggler.. Excellent film though and above average acting from Hackman.

• Feb 03, 2018

i didnt get to see the ending because my tape is cut off! i only got to see to the part where hackman gets OD'd on heroin and almost dies. i could tell this movie rules though, i loved the first one

• Jul 14, 2017

Very drab and boring. No entertainment value.

Very drab and boring. No entertainment value.

• Jun 08, 2017

Popeye's too soft and unconvincing, poor attempts to mimic the signature documentary feel, the dialogues are horrible, zero tension and no set-piece to live up to at least a semblance of what we saw in the first instalment. It's not horrible, but it's not an honorable failure either -- it's just mediocre, which makes it even worse.

• Mar 24, 2017

I like that we got to see the whole drug world turned on Doyle, Charnier forcing him to become one of the desperate addicts. But I would've liked to see this played differently than the drawn out, becoming, then recovering from addiction. I thought it'd play further in the story, Doyle's desperation extending as far as protecting his enemy to get what he needs. Instead he goes right back to being a cop on the chase, and we're forced to suffer through the pain of this whole process. No shortage of feeling an addict's suffering, slow time being the only ally. Some of the simpler moments work best, like eating - they share a chocolate bar, he gets ice cream; it's never so sweet as a child would enjoy, it's embittered with this rivalry between Doyle and Barthelemy. Doyle's drunken carousing is sweet at first with various sports references, but it severely drags to nowhere. It definitely plays on the excitement of: how are they going to get Charnier? The suspense leading up to the boat and warehouse raids are wonderful, but Doyle chasing Charnier is anticlimactic, as is it's finish. It's satisfying to see Charnier done in, but it proves this film had little to play off of; it's only note was this plot point of catching the bad guy from the first film. It feels like a postscript of the first film rather than needing to exist for any other reason.

• Jan 08, 2017

For those who read French Kiss it might be fascinating to compare the two eras and detectives as a study in high profile drug investigations

• Nov 23, 2016

I don't think this is exactly a bad film, but it's a bad sequel to "The French Connection" in the sense that it misses what is so appealing about the first film. Hackman is back as "Popeye" Doyle, and he travels to Marseilles in pursuit of Charnier (Fernando Rey, the only other actor returning from the first film). So, setting aside for a minute that this is not completely sensible as a premise (the film claims Doyle is the only person who would recognize Charnier ... a man who was under intensive surveillance by dozens of cops in the first film), it ends up losing most of the best elements of the first film. It's great to see Hackman back as this character, but he needs Roy Scheider, or someone damn close to him to balance the character dynamics. Yes, Bernard Fresson is sort of a partner in this film, but not for most of the film. That raises the other point. What's most enthralling about "The French Connection" is that it's a magnificent police procedural. It's not just the characters that matter, it's what they are doing. Hackman does fuck all for over half of this film. I admit that this film has an amazing climax, and the last few minutes are almost worth watching the whole film for ... but it's difficult to recommend a 2 hour film based on the last 10 minutes. Scheider got the better deal ... "The Seven-Ups" is the real sequel to "The French Connection".

• Sep 18, 2016

The french connection 2 is as insane as the first film with Gene Hackman as Popeye Doyle!

• Aug 23, 2016

Now I have to say the first was for sure superior, but French Connection II is by far more enjoyable than it's predecessor. Hackman should have won best actor for this one rather than the first, but that's just me