Friday Night Reviews

• Feb 28, 2014

This is an unconventional movie in a sense that it doesn't rely on a structure an average moviegoer would expect. It features little dialogue and minimalistic plot, and relies on visuals and emotions to convey the story.

• Jan 03, 2014

This unusual romance is beautifully shot & brilliantly directed by one of the most talented female film maker in France. The screen couple has a great alchemy.

• Feb 03, 2013

Claire Denis was clearly inspired by the Nouvelle Vague in her directing (something that she took from Wim Wenders). A lot of close ups to bring the sensorial intensity. In a very confined time lapse, a one night stand, several steps from a full relationship are put through (first date,sexual exaltation, happiness, possessiveness/jealousy, forgiveness, detachment and break up). I liked the really dark bestial environment of the street night. It's a like it or hate it flick. Not a must but a should see. P.S: Best performance from Valerie Lemercier in my opinion, (for once she was not trying to be funny).

• Jan 24, 2011

Our live is not only talks, how most other directors think. Mostly because it's much harder explain with only details, images, light, motion, silence - thing wich takes 95% of our live. And this is great example how it can be done.

• Jan 06, 2011

(***): Thumbs Up An interesting film.

(***): Thumbs Up An interesting film.

• Nov 21, 2010

A silent movie that is interspersed with bursts of dialogue, and a long and langurous love scene.

• Aug 24, 2010

not enough tension; feels more like a long scene than a short film

not enough tension; feels more like a long scene than a short film

• Aug 24, 2010

Very enjoyable movie. Unlike 'Chocolat' it's not full of historical, social stuff. However, what I like most about Claire Denis is that she films people when they're not talking, when they're alone and then you can really see how odd all our various social interactions and institutions are. She's like a film-poet of the mundane, of sexual and social tension and anxiety, and especially of desire.

• Apr 27, 2010

this is a film of moments so if you are expecting some drama from it DO NOT WATCH, its a journey of the night, i would like to give 70%

• Mar 28, 2010

A beautiful portrait of the city ruined in its second half by perhaps accidentally conventional and boring love scenes.