The Full Monty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Full Monty Reviews

April 17, 2018
Funny, smart, and brilliantly acted.
April 4, 2018
An absolute classic.
March 3, 2018
Vulgar, trashy and obvious. It means well, and sometimes you feel it. Whether or not you give it a thumps up is anyone?s guess.
January 29, 2018
The idea is simple and the movie too. It's a pleaser, but it please so well, with the right amount of "dramedy", and with lovely accents that it was on the verge to become a cult. At least in my list of cults.
½ November 12, 2017
This film did not live up to the hype. I think as I knew where it was going and it followed tropes of British 90 films there wasn't much left to the imagination. The last scene was enjoyable but it didn't really feel like the victory for the characters it should have been.
November 4, 2017
I see this is a darling of the critics category of film. I, however, beg to differ. No flaw to the acting. My issue is with the script, which is basically drab, depressing and low in content. As in, the unemployed guys mull around all day, wasting their time. Sometimes they play goofy jokes on each other. This goes on until hey! they come up with their brilliant scheme - which is not really so brilliant and does not salvage the tale to any significant extent.
½ October 1, 2017
Great cast, funny in places. Overall good film.
½ September 2, 2017
Watched this for the first time in 18 years - still laugh out loud funny.
½ August 13, 2017
The Full Monty has a couple of excellent performances, a good use of its soundtrack, many fun scenes and it deals with some interesting themes, but it doesn't really explore all of those themes, some characters are underutilized, some plot elements were troublesome and the film is overall just solid and never as great as critics say it is as it is very flawed and it lost its edge after all this time.
½ July 15, 2017
Never vulgar and always sweet, 'The Full Monty' is a full success. Filled with humour, intelligence and finesse - yes, finesse - it's always a pleasure to watch this lovely comedy. 'The Full Monty' also draws a touching portrait of six men who try to find money (and manage to) in a post-industrial England. Funny soundtracks along with a brilliant cast help to crown this highly enjoyable film.
June 27, 2017
A very funny movie with great British comedy.

8.2/10
June 27, 2017
superb film. funny with great story.
½ March 8, 2017
The first thing I need to say is that I struggled to understand a number of lines said by the actors in this movie. Even with closed captioning on, it still puzzled me more than once. It's not like I was so thrown that I didn't know what was going on, it's just that some of the accents were as thick as Brad Pitt in Snatch.

There are a lot of extremely funny moments in The Full Monty. The actors are all great and have a good handle on physical comedy. There's one scene in particular that still makes me chuckle now just thinking about it. When the film is working it works great and I had a very good time with it, but I think it only works as a straight comedy.

There is an attempt in this film to make it something deeper about this father and his strained relationship with his son, his friend who is struggling to connect with his wife, and their former boss who can't admit to his wife he is laid off. These create decent motivations, but don't add much more to the primary plot of 6 guys planning to strip to strike it rich.

The story is pretty simple and I followed what was going on. But occasionally it felt odd as if it was edited out of order or some of the connective tissue was left out. I can't describe what it was, but there was something off in certain scenes. Aside from these few minor complaints it was a fun film that I was glad to see.
February 11, 2017
I Believe in Miracles since this film came along! Absolutely amazing, super funny and a great asset to British cinema. Not only does it offer comedy around every corner, but explores the history of British industry and the struggles of each member of the 'Full Monty' group. Fully recommend if you want to have a feel good film and a laugh.

You Can Leave Your Hat On!
February 1, 2017
Great film! I love this film because it is such a simple premise but it is executed so well
January 27, 2017
Under Tatcher years, 1980's, the steel industry is collapsing and despear for work in on everyone's mind. This funny story, over a sad background, can be well or badly received y the public. Entertaining. Not a must see.
December 15, 2016
This is such a good movie!
November 19, 2016
Little letdown, sometimes it's better for people to keep their clothes on.
November 4, 2016
Robert Carlyle and Tom Wilkinson lead the cast in the British smash comedy, The Fully Monty. The story is set in Sheffield England which is coming off a major depression after a steel boom. The town's economy has left the many people out of work including Gaz (Carlyle). He and his friends all look for jobs and his former boss Gerald (Wilkinson) is in the same boat. When the custody for his son becomes in jeopardy Gaz finds himself desperate for money. He notices hundreds of women paying to see a Chippendale's show and decides this is only chance.

Gaz begins recruiting his friends who are by in no means stripper shape. His friends consist of Dave (Mark Addy) who is overweight, Barry (Paul Butterworth) who is scrawny, and he eventually recruits Gerald who is a bit past his prime. As a sore lot, they begin recruiting others which sets off the comedic pacing of the film. Much of the film's comedic output relies on scenes of regular Joes trying to pull of being sexy.

Where the Full Monty really shines is with its characters. All of the characters are relatable. You root for Gaz who is trying to do everything for his son. Everyone has come across the confidence issues of not feeling attractive as Dave struggles with. Gerald is a character that has too much pride and does not even tell his lover that he is out of work. The film does not have an epic story, but is more about circumstances. Very few comedies try and balance the reality of depression, unemployment, and character flaws. As a comedy, those who enjoy the awkward physical comedy of men trying to be sexy will find this film far more funny and perhaps endearing. This raw combination led to the film's nomination for an Oscar for best picture. The Full Monty is by no means one of my favorite films, but it does have all the elements of a solid picture. The story has moments of doubt, there is a momentum, setback, and of course climax all with realistic and relatable characters.

-11.4.2016
October 4, 2016
What I loved the most about this movie is its ordinariness. You find yourself rooting for these men in this community. Sure, thematically, it isn't perhaps the most original idea, but boy, it's a charming, thoroughly enjoyable and an appropriate length of a film.