The Full Monty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Full Monty Reviews

½ July 15, 2017
Never vulgar and always sweet, 'The Full Monty' is a full success. Filled with humour, intelligence and finesse - yes, finesse - it's always a pleasure to watch this lovely comedy. 'The Full Monty' also draws a touching portrait of six men who try to find money (and manage to) in a post-industrial England. Funny soundtracks along with a brilliant cast help to crown this highly enjoyable film.
June 27, 2017
A very funny movie with great British comedy.

8.2/10
June 27, 2017
superb film. funny with great story.
½ March 8, 2017
The first thing I need to say is that I struggled to understand a number of lines said by the actors in this movie. Even with closed captioning on, it still puzzled me more than once. It's not like I was so thrown that I didn't know what was going on, it's just that some of the accents were as thick as Brad Pitt in Snatch.

There are a lot of extremely funny moments in The Full Monty. The actors are all great and have a good handle on physical comedy. There's one scene in particular that still makes me chuckle now just thinking about it. When the film is working it works great and I had a very good time with it, but I think it only works as a straight comedy.

There is an attempt in this film to make it something deeper about this father and his strained relationship with his son, his friend who is struggling to connect with his wife, and their former boss who can't admit to his wife he is laid off. These create decent motivations, but don't add much more to the primary plot of 6 guys planning to strip to strike it rich.

The story is pretty simple and I followed what was going on. But occasionally it felt odd as if it was edited out of order or some of the connective tissue was left out. I can't describe what it was, but there was something off in certain scenes. Aside from these few minor complaints it was a fun film that I was glad to see.
February 11, 2017
I Believe in Miracles since this film came along! Absolutely amazing, super funny and a great asset to British cinema. Not only does it offer comedy around every corner, but explores the history of British industry and the struggles of each member of the 'Full Monty' group. Fully recommend if you want to have a feel good film and a laugh.

You Can Leave Your Hat On!
February 1, 2017
Great film! I love this film because it is such a simple premise but it is executed so well
January 27, 2017
Under Tatcher years, 1980's, the steel industry is collapsing and despear for work in on everyone's mind. This funny story, over a sad background, can be well or badly received y the public. Entertaining. Not a must see.
December 15, 2016
This is such a good movie!
November 19, 2016
Little letdown, sometimes it's better for people to keep their clothes on.
November 4, 2016
Robert Carlyle and Tom Wilkinson lead the cast in the British smash comedy, The Fully Monty. The story is set in Sheffield England which is coming off a major depression after a steel boom. The town's economy has left the many people out of work including Gaz (Carlyle). He and his friends all look for jobs and his former boss Gerald (Wilkinson) is in the same boat. When the custody for his son becomes in jeopardy Gaz finds himself desperate for money. He notices hundreds of women paying to see a Chippendale's show and decides this is only chance.

Gaz begins recruiting his friends who are by in no means stripper shape. His friends consist of Dave (Mark Addy) who is overweight, Barry (Paul Butterworth) who is scrawny, and he eventually recruits Gerald who is a bit past his prime. As a sore lot, they begin recruiting others which sets off the comedic pacing of the film. Much of the film's comedic output relies on scenes of regular Joes trying to pull of being sexy.

Where the Full Monty really shines is with its characters. All of the characters are relatable. You root for Gaz who is trying to do everything for his son. Everyone has come across the confidence issues of not feeling attractive as Dave struggles with. Gerald is a character that has too much pride and does not even tell his lover that he is out of work. The film does not have an epic story, but is more about circumstances. Very few comedies try and balance the reality of depression, unemployment, and character flaws. As a comedy, those who enjoy the awkward physical comedy of men trying to be sexy will find this film far more funny and perhaps endearing. This raw combination led to the film's nomination for an Oscar for best picture. The Full Monty is by no means one of my favorite films, but it does have all the elements of a solid picture. The story has moments of doubt, there is a momentum, setback, and of course climax all with realistic and relatable characters.

-11.4.2016
October 4, 2016
What I loved the most about this movie is its ordinariness. You find yourself rooting for these men in this community. Sure, thematically, it isn't perhaps the most original idea, but boy, it's a charming, thoroughly enjoyable and an appropriate length of a film.
September 21, 2016
Bawdy 'comedy' about a group of unemployed Sheffield steelworkers who turn to a strip routine to raise money.
The aged film provides some amusement to locals spotting locations that since 1997 have changed remarkably.
The film follows other films that seem to revel in the industrial decline of Northern English cities. I'm thinking of Rita, Sue and Bob Too! and Raining Stones.
Some of the cast have gone on to much greater projects over the years.
½ July 17, 2016
Charming and fun, this movie is a good watch. Just saw it again after a long time since I did not remember it. Not too much laughs but enough smiles to keep the pace. Simple is the best way to put it. Shows a realistic, troubled yet uplifting town life of rural England. Give it a try.
April 17, 2016
At its core, The Full Monty is a simple and sweet, though somewhat forgettable, story about the relationship between a man and his son. Robert Carlyle and Mark Addy stand out the most in the cast, managing to flesh out two fairly simple characters. Where this movie falls short is in its narrative. There are several subplots that ultimately go nowhere in an effort to get to the climax and there are some strange character decisions that don't make a lot of sense. But really, this is an emotionally driven movie rather than a logically driven one and that's perfectly fine. Ultimately, while it doesn't exactly stand out in the grand scheme of things, there's enough clever humor and heart to make the film deserving of at least one viewing.

Who'd like it: anyone looking to kill 90 minutes or just want to watch a simple father son story should enjoy this.
April 4, 2016
Witty and full of optimism picture. If you really want something you'll always wend your way to achieve your goal. Just never give up.
February 18, 2016
The British version of Magic Mike only more comical than the serious. The Stripping is better in this film
jamrcla
January 31, 2016
Cracking british film, Crude and rude and very funny.
½ January 28, 2016
If you're looking for cheap, but worthwhile laughs at the expense of the dignified charm of our six last-resort strippers -- Robert Carlyle, Tom Wilkinson, Mark Addy, Steve Huison, Paul Barber, and Hugo Speer -- here it is. It looks far more fun to be a part of than to watch as an audience member, but the audience can still have a good time in rooting for our characters to shed out of the social stigma and let it all loose. It is not a challenging comedy. It's just good.
January 20, 2016
the best British comedy for a very long time
½ October 18, 2015
Classic feel good British comedy! If you're not from the UK, take note of the Northern accents in this film. Set in the fantastic leafy Sheffield, the city of Steel!