Funny Money Reviews

• Apr 27, 2020

2007 release (made in 2005): A worker at a wax fruit production plant runs into $5 million when he accidentally switches briefcases with another subway patron. He wants to quit his job and leave the country with his wife, but she isn't so impulsive. A surprise birthday is happening the same night at their home. Several characters populate their home, including a blackmailing undercover cop, another cop investigating the murder of the original possessor of the loaded briefcase, a wannabe comic taxi driver, the wax fruit plant boss, and others, including the actual owners of the $5M. A decent movie concept gives louder and shriller as it goes on, to the point of not caring about anyone. This is brutal. Goes from mildly funny to obnoxious real quickly. Penelope Ann Miller's character (the wife) is eventually unbearable. This plot apparently came from a stage play, hope it worked better there. Sad, because most of the cast is game for this kind of movie. Stars: Chevy Chase, Penelope Ann Miller, Armand Assante, Robert Loggia, Christopher McDonald, and Alex Meneses.

• Aug 22, 2017

Try as he might, Chevy Chase will never make a movie worse than Nothing But Trouble.

• Jul 05, 2015

This is quite possibly my favorite Chevy Chase movie. Yes I'm including Three Amigo's, and Christmas Vacation, among others.

• May 30, 2013

Chevy is good in this..the rest of the movie isn't. Funny Money feels like a crappy play similar to Noises Off. I didn't even finish this as I cant stand play banter.

• Apr 30, 2013

But the point the most people seem to be missing is that this film is an adaptation of a farcical play written by (British Playwright) Ray Cooney and as such any attempt to dissect the plot is akin to dissecting the plot of an absurdist play (see "Rhinoceros" - starring Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel) - there is no point. I think it is a reasonably good comedy, but sadly forgettable.

• Jul 11, 2011

• Jun 19, 2011

It is a film where the laughs just keep on coming. Based on a play it has miniaml sets which helps to keep the attention on the main characters.

• Lucas M Super Reviewer
    May 21, 2011

Could be much better...

Could be much better...

• Oct 28, 2010

Maybe it didn't work as well as a movie, probably as a stage play it would. A rather silly comedy with a paper thin adapated screenplay. In a way it was a waste of a fine cast. It was really good to see Chase back in a comedy again, although this isn't all that good.

• Sep 20, 2010

Great as a comedy. I can just imagine it being a live action performance.

Great as a comedy. I can just imagine it being a live action performance.