Gangster Squad - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gangster Squad Reviews

½ August 17, 2017
SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Greg, looks like Sean Penn and Josh Brolin go head-to-head in Gangster Squad.

GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) And Emma Stone plays the beautiful girl, again. Let s recap:

SCOTT: The year is 1949 and World War II has only recently ended. The movie introduces us to Mickey Cohen (Sean Penn), a ruthless mobster who has taken over the city of Los Angeles but aspires to control the entire state of California. To send a message to other rival gangsters, Cohen murders a mobster from Chicago in a most horrible manner. Then Cohen sets a group of his own men on fire for bungling a job. Police Chief Bill Parker (Nick Nolte) has had enough. He asks one of his top police sergeants, John O Mara (Josh Brolin) to assemble a group of cops with the goal of destroying Cohen s grip on the city, even if it means bending a few rules.

GREG: O Mara s wife is worried and dutiful. She helps him pick out the best cops for the troop. After all, she wants this job over with as soon as possible and she wants her man coming home alive. Old army buddy and fellow cool cop Jerry Wooters (Ryan Gosling) is hesitant to join, but is all in when a young shoe-shine boy catches a bullet in a gangland drive-by. The squad is complete with O Mara (the ex army sergeant), Wooters (the dutiful soldier), Coleman Harris (Anthony Mackie, the good cop), Conway Keeler (Giovanni Ribisi, the brains), Max Kennard (Robert Patrick, the old sharpshooter), and Christmas, Navidad Ramirez (Michael Pe a, the kid of the gang). Together they take on Cohen s syndicate in disguise so that Cohen doesn t know they are cops and who to retaliate against.

SCOTT: What the movie consists of, essentially, is a bloodbath of a fight between Cohen s goons and O Mara s Gangster Squad. Greg, Gangster Squad is one of the darkest movies I ve ever seen, and I mean dark in both senses of the word. It s a literally dark film in that most scenes primarily occur at night, and inky black shadows cover half the screen most of the time. But it s also morally and emotionally dark. Other than the two women characters, Connie O Mara (Mirielle Enos) and Grace Faraday (Emma Stone), who play peripheral roles in the movie, there aren t any people in this film worth admiring. The good guys aren t good; they re quite bad. And the bad guys aren t merely bad, they re exceptionally heinous.

GREG: Gangster Squad is a collection of all the stereotypes and cliches of all the old gangster movies from the 1950s. It bears a striking resemblance to the old Robert Stack Untouchables TV show. All the characters are cardboard cutouts of characters from that era. The story is supposed be inspired by true events. What struck me most about the film was just how stupid the characters were. Right away the Gangster Squad tries to bust up an illegal casino Cohen is running. They bust into the joint and the first thing they notice is that it is filled with crooked cops. There is an awkward standoff where the cops and the squad are pointing guns at each other yelling to put their guns down. Our heroes in the Gangster Squad don t want to shoot their own cops and so run away, only to be pursued and captured. And they don t get much smarter as the film develops. Even O Mara s best friend Wooters comments that they need to develop a plan of attack rather than randomly shooting up Cohen s establishments - which they never do.

SCOTT: Greg, you re right about the characters being derivative of old mobster movies. I m sure that was done intentionally to capture the mood and dramatic tension from a bygone era of film making. Whether it works or not is subject to opinion. For me, the ambiance is effective and the film is sleek, stylish, and smart. But I had one very major problem with Gangster Squad: It is a grim glorification of guns and spattered blood. What exactly is the moral message here? That the end justifies the means? Our heroes, Bill Parker and John O Mara, decide that if you can t beat em, join em. So O Mara s group of rogue cops become about as bad as the mobsters themselves. The take-home message appears to be that violence and thuggery are always the solution to societal conflicts. This leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Gangster Squad is almost completely void of true heroes who do the right thing.

GREG: I hear you, but I think the message was a different one. With all the World War II references (O Mara is called sarge by his followers because he was a sergeant in the war, e.g.) I believe the message is not all Hitlers are in Germany. I also think that the message is that it takes a rugged individualist like the kind that won the war to keep the peace back home. This movie is rated R and the body count is easily lower than other films we ve seen this summer (witness World War Z). It s just that rather than have all the violence be bloodless (ala The Lone Ranger), Gangster Squad was up front with it. This was a bad time for Los Angeles and Sean Penn s Mickey Cohen was a very bad guy who didn t have any trouble getting his hands dirty. I was okay with the level of violence in this film.

SCOTT: With so many school shootings, random shootings, and gun-related deaths in American society, I m becoming increasingly critical of Hollywood s obsession with guns. It s especially hypocritical of the liberal Hollywood elite, most of whom are in favor of gun control, to make millions in portraying such gratuitous gun violence. Gangster Squad is a film that I would characterize as pure cinematic darkness with style. The movie is wonderfully crafted but the preponderance of dark, violent characters, even among the so-called heroes, makes much of it depressing and disturbing to watch. I award this grisly film 2 Reels out of 5. As I ve noted, the heroes are barbaric thugs themselves, hardly showing any change except for the worse. I did admire Josh Brolin doing his best Tommy Lee Jones imitation, however. I give the heroes 2 Heroes out of 5. Movie: Hero:

GREG: I was favorably impressed with Gangster Squad (and I dont look to Hollywood to set social standards). It took me back to my childhood days watching gangster films and TV shows of the 1950s. It was a very slick production bringing modern cinematic techniques (like Bullet Time) to bear on a classic story. The actors were convincing in their roles. Sean Penn never looked so demonic. And, like you, I enjoyed Josh Brolin s brooding if not intellectual Sergeant O Mara. Emma Stone was hot and Mirielle Enos was smart. I had enough of a good time that I awarded Gangster Squad 3 out of 5 Reels. I think this was a classic team-based hero story. There was the strong leader in the form of O Mara, the jester in the form of buddy Coleman, the mentor in the form of sharp-shooter Kennard, the brains or wizard in the form of technology guru Keeler, and the kid in the form of Ramirez. Our hero starts out uncertain about his place in a post-war America and learns from his experiences that he doesn t have to fight to be a man. I give Gangster Squad 3 out of 5 Heroes. Movie: Hero:
½ July 7, 2017
This is how every bollywood movie should be made. The movie had its cliches, serendipity and unrealistic stylized plot additions but it was also witty, engaging, and well shot. The cast was spot on and the movie's atmosphere was well created. Good watch!
June 18, 2017
One of the best i saw for a long time
June 18, 2017
É um tipo de The Untouchables ou L.A. Confidential com uma fotografia moderna e figurino impecável, novidades nenhuma; talvez esse seja o grande problema da critica com o roteiro de Will Beall, apesar de não surpreender Gangster Squad ainda é um grande filme com ótimo elenco e uma trama suficiente para nos distrairmos por algumas horas.
June 15, 2017
Gangster Squad is an entertaining, if entirely predictable, film that has the gloss and grit you'd expect from 1940's LA.
May 8, 2017
Glitzy violence and hefty cast with truly piss-poor script.
April 2, 2017
The acting was good the sets and costumes were very fake looking. Solid on TV movie worth the watch.
½ March 29, 2017
Due to the amazing cast I expected a lot more from this film. What I got was an overly cheesy borefest! This would have been improved greatly if it was darker and a lot more serious. Disappointment!
March 21, 2017
great movie super cool
½ March 3, 2017
bleh, mediocre in every sense of the word
½ February 22, 2017
To get it out the way, i got to say Sean Penn's style was kind of ridiculous. Ok now, the concept of the movie - especially since it's based on real events - is pretty cool but the bloodshed and the guys trying to act all cool became boring really quickly. They didn't even bother to develop the characters enough, i feel like they threw them in the movie and said "these are the skilled, good guys, you don't need to know anything else". And of course Emma and Ryan were great as always together
½ February 17, 2017
I actually really enjoy this. I don't know why it got so much hate. It's fun, action packed, well acted and paced. It also has great set design.
February 11, 2017
Amazing Thriller movie - exciting till the last second
January 17, 2017
The potential of this movie is searingly obvious, but the dialogue alone doused the flame of whatever Gangster Squad could have been.
½ January 4, 2017
Mediocre movie saved by Penn.
January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ December 29, 2016
ryan gosling surrounded by lots of explosions.
December 8, 2016
Rich period piece with a great cast... A more action oriented version of the approximately same storied Mulholland Falls (1996). On Blu-ray.
November 28, 2016
This film comes with a moment of revelation for me; I am a suckered for a good action Crime thriller. It has an all-star cast that includes Nick Nolte as a police chief and Sean Penn as a mob boss. The movie is a stylized version of True events that occurred in Los Angeles during the same time period. The real stories were released by an author in the LA Times and we're eventually collected in book form. I also don't mind violence, which this film has plenty of.

The first bit of the movie sets up Josh Brolin's character well, giving us his moral code and family life. While this movie is about the squad, Brolin shares the main spotlight with Ryan Gossling, who slides in as my favorite character. 2nd to Sean Penn who is vicious and sells that gangster like it's HIS movie and not a movie about taking him down. The rest of the (truly) ensemble cast are still a group of talented individuals playing characters that work their way from a sort of bumbling team to precise.

Critics say it falls short of anything notable except LA Noir. One can see shortcomings upon examination, as in any film but I rarely focus on the negatives. The dialogue is seen as laughable but honestly captured the mind as being from a different time. The tone is also a point of contention, being funny with such serious subject matter. But Millennials love a touch of comedy in every aspect of life as it keeps it enjoyable. Is it a serious look at the time and subject matter like LA Confidential? No. It's simple and delivered with ease like a pizza. I was completely wrapped in it throughout
November 14, 2016
Style of substance, completely forgettable.