Genius Reviews

• Jan 18, 2019

Not as good as I wanted it to be when it came out, but not as bad as many of the reviews. A solid 'fair'...

• Oct 22, 2017

A very fine period piece about Thomas Wolfe, his mistress, and his literary editor at Scribner's.

• Oct 09, 2017

Admirable, yet unable to achieve the heights of its namesake.

Admirable, yet unable to achieve the heights of its namesake.

• Sep 25, 2017

thoroughly enjoyed this movie as I knew nothing about Tom Wolfe

thoroughly enjoyed this movie as I knew nothing about Tom Wolfe

• Sep 02, 2017

This was a beautifully acted movie which I found very moving. Anyone who loves literature and loves to learn about the 20th century writers' struggles to make sense of modern life and to care for one another should appreciate this movie. I think the movie requires a literary and educated audience and perhaps that is why the ratings are unfortunately low. I almost gave stars. I'm so glad I watched it!

• Sep 01, 2017

I found this film beautiful

I found this film beautiful

• Aug 26, 2017

While I found Jude Law mesmerizing in "The Young Pope", I think he destroyed this movie. So none of us actually knows what Thomas Wolfe was really like, but Jude Law's portrayal of him was all over the place. I guess we're lacking serious character actors these days, but I think the role called for a more dignified portrayal. And Jude Law could have pulled off a more dignified portrayal, but he missed it and failed to create a believable character that any normal person would be able to identify with. While I like Nicole Kidman and she did an excellent job, I couldn't buy the scene where she pulled the gun on Colin Firth. Who does that? really? Colin Firth saved the movie! He is extraordinary in everything he does and I watch every movie he does! Love, love, love him. Why does anyone cast Laura Linny in anything? She's annoying and her scenes and interactions with the rest of the cast made me uncomfortable.

• Aug 19, 2017

What a load of crap... Thomas Wolfe rendered boring and bogus.

What a load of crap... Thomas Wolfe rendered boring and bogus.

• Dann M Super Reviewer
    Aug 14, 2017

Based on a true story, Genius is a compelling character drama that explores the creative spirit. When book editor Max Perkins comes across a manuscript by struggling writer Thomas Wolfe he sees the potential of a great novelist, and works with him tirelessly to get his books edited and published. The film does an especially good job at showing the collaborative process that artists and editors have. And both Colin Firth and Jude Law deliver incredibly strong performances. However, the plot's a bit formulaic, featuring a lot of standard struggling artist tropes (battle with alcoholism, betraying friends and family, etc.). Also, several characters are underdeveloped; Nicole Kidman in particular is wasted as a stereotypical neglected wife. Yet while it has some problems, Genius is a fascinating look at the creative process and the man who shepherded some of the most prestigious writers of the early twentieth century.

• Aug 13, 2017

A decent, but rather flat film from an all star cast.

A decent, but rather flat film from an all star cast.