Get Shorty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Get Shorty Reviews

October 11, 2017
I understand that people think its annoying when Hollywood "sucks its own dick" like this, but I don't quite understand why. We all love movies, the people watching, so why wouldn't we want our characters to love them too? The light hearted tone and quick pace, along with the dynamite script and cast....I feel this is a minority perfect film.
August 14, 2017
Elmore Leonard's writing + great acting = a classic
July 26, 2017
Add a review (optional)...
½ April 22, 2017
Such a fun send up of Hollywood and gangster films. Love Travolta's character in it. His child like glee over film is affecting. The commentary of how similar mob life and the movie business are is quite entertaining.
½ March 20, 2017
When we are constantly looking out for others and ourselves. When we are always on the look out for some people coming for us. When we are always looking when some people steal. When we know where to look  when we know where some people are located. When we look for trouble and violence to solve our problems. When we have been looking forward to doing something when we looked for we find. When all we got to do is look at some people to know where to look and send the message that our look is better then there's when we are powerful, good looking and not someone you overlook or look down on. When we look ridiculous with somethings on, or without anything, but we don't care about looks when you got money, power, and respect. When we can't wait to look on some people's faces when they look at us in shock when they are surprised.
March 6, 2017
Points for some originality in the "gangster" movie genre. It was different and wanted to be more clever than most. Well cast. Not truly exciting or fun to watch for being a "comedy thriller". Rating: 6.5 / 10
December 26, 2016
fun movie, cool story, a couple of old movie qualities but enjoyable overall. some funny characters too (1 viewing)
July 11, 2016
I was ten years old and was with most of my family: my uncle, my mother and aunt in a multiplex cinema and asked me who I wanted to see, as I had no idea watched the undercard hoping to find a movie that I really call attention to something it was neither gore, or drama, or abusive, or anything that could traumatize me, until I saw the poster of "Get Shorty" which saw the four main characters dressed in black with sunglasses and did not know what was the movie, until I saw Danny DeVito in the middle that made me remember how much I liked his interpretation of the Penguin in "Batman Returns", so I chose that and we hoping that have made a good choice.
When projected gradually he saw that he had no bad side but from the moment in which John Travolta punches him in the nose Dennis Farina to "borrow" his jacket I knew I picked the right one and that it was a comedy of black cinema and film within a film, with adult themes of whom did not understand much but anyway I liked despite being somewhat loose, as it moved the film had good scenes, good story, great music , good successfully performed and even good characters as the mobster Ray "Bones" Barboni (Dennis Farina) that made us laugh even a scumbag, the antihero debt collector and movie lover Chili Palmer (John Travolta), mediocre producer Harry Zimm (Gene Hackman) who tries to carry out a commercial project than from Serie B, actress Karen Flores (Rene Russo) arta of being typecast in roles of screaming damsel in distress, movie star Martin wear (Danny DeVito) a sort of Dustin Hoffman giving class to the film despite their short appearances, the bully botched Bo Catlett (Delroy Lindo), the stuntman Bear (James Gandolfini) sick of working for a garbage like Bo and the defaulter Leo Devoe (David Paymer) that caualmente pretended to have died in a plane crash to avoid paying a debt to "Bones", they are all great in one of the best comedies ever filmed and out of the room was satisfied with the choice.
July 1, 2016
Funny and well-acted satire.
June 28, 2016
John Travolta plays a Miami mafia enforcer goes to Vegas to collect a debt. He does so amidst shifting scene in the underground crime world Miami. The plot thickens when he must collect from a movie producer who is even more in debt. When mafia man gets to Los Angeles he finds the money, he hits more complications. That money is part of a movie industry investment that could make an even larger return. The collector decides to push the production of the movie to take a cut before returning with the debt. This is a highly entertaining comedy storyline with a large set of interesting characters. Travolta is a delight in the main role of the mafia collector turned movie maker. His aggressive and direct way of dealing with people turns out to be a funny juxtaposition to the flaky passive-aggressive Los Angeles film executives and stars. In addition to Travolta, Gene Hackman, Rene Russo, Danny DeVito, Dennis Farina, and Delroy Lindo all make for a talented cast. The depth of the cast helps each member of the large set of characters have a meaningful individual impact that strengthens the story. The result of having several characters operating independently with their own unrelated agendas is a brilliantly funny perfectly constructed commotion. The involved plot goes in unexpected directions, and separate story lines converge in rewarding ways. It becomes stranger, funnier, and more enjoyable with each level of development.
June 21, 2016
It's really well written and amusing.
June 15, 2016
John Travolta. Le début est fort.
April 16, 2016
The consensus has it spot on, this is a satire, comedy and thriller rolled into one, and a very good movie, with a clever story, a great cast and sharp editing to keep it fast paced.
April 3, 2016
bad movie that I find mys watching all the time
½ March 28, 2016
3/26/2016: An ok movie with an interesting cast. The story was good, but there weren't many laughs.
½ February 22, 2016
A dynamic thing good dialogue can be, and "Get Shorty's" got a lot of it. A film with scores of characters and intersecting storylines, it's a movie all about talk, swagger, and tone, a modern day "The Big Sleep" minus the noir atmosphere and whodunit, detective based divergences. To keep up with its labyrinthine bamboozles is about as difficult as being able to recite the alphabet backwards, but the film isn't so much about substance as it is about attitude, and we could, to "Get Shorty's" benefit, watch its characters conserve for hours upon end.
None of this is a surprise, though, as the film is an adaptation of the Elmore Leonard novel of the name same. Leonard, a Hollywood go-to for crime stories containing deep-seated caginess and wit, is a writer able to make even the lowest of a low life speak with a certain sort of fetching cool. He's a Raymond Chandler for the modern world. It has a lot in common with Quentin Tarantino's perpetually underrated "Jackie Brown" (also a Leonard modification), with its slick ways of complicated criminality, black humor, and appetizing character parts. And there's nothing better, to my tastes, anyway, than a movie where dialogue is everything; it's a rarity to really care about, and revel in, what characters have to say, to care more about the next confrontation, the next exchange, than a plot point bent to push everything forward.
But in addition to its verbal bedazzlements, "Get Shorty" is also flawlessly cast, Leonard's trademark swankiness translating so magnificently because its actors are adept when it comes to delivering lines of his prowess (the novel was adapted by screenwriter Scott Frank, who keeps much of the source's habitude intact). It stars a "Pulp Fiction" fresh John Travolta as Chili Palmer, an enviably confident loan shark whose sinful exploits (traveling everywhere from Miami to Brooklyn to Los Angeles to Las Vegas) eventually lead to Harry Zimm (Gene Hackman), a successful B-movie producer who owes a massive gambling debt. As Palmer's life mostly consists of threatening people in over their heads financially, he, at first, tries to pull the usual routine with Zimm; but Palmer is a big movie fan and a sucker for the glamour of Hollywood. Against the odds, he strikes up a friendship with the man he's supposed to be scaring money out of, going so far as pitching a movie idea to him.
The film then stays put in Los Angeles, where Palmer very much becomes a part of Zimm's life, and where his pitch might actually become a reality. We're soon introduced to Zimm's girlfriend (Rene Russo), a B-movie scream queen with enough self-possession to make her more than just a big boss man's hot thing, Bear (James Gandolfini), a low-key softy of a stuntman, and Martin Weir (Danny DeVito), a two-time Academy Award nominee who Zimm and company are trying to convince to star in their potential project. But, at the end of the day, Palmer is still a mobster, and transitioning his shady talents to moviemaking may not arrive as smoothly as he'd like.
Put everything together and "Get Shorty" is a smash of a blockbuster, unusually piquantly written and expertly performed. Released during a time where most comedy thrillers set out to be "Pulp Fiction," incessantly complicated but also idiosyncratically cool, it continues its tradition of intriguing characters and terrifically funny sequences but stays individualistic. It is sturdy, wonderfully animated mainstream filmmaking, the kind of film we hardly want to end because it is so much a sizzling roller coaster of an experience. Sonnenfeld is the perfect director this sort of material, dipping every scene in understated irony and visual attentiveness, and Travolta is phenomenally aplomb - this role was made for him. And I love the supporting performances, particularly from Russo (sexy but smart), Hackman (lovably slimy), Dennis Farina (hilariously unpredictable), and the uncredited Bette Midler (tunefully brassy).
Everything in "Get Shorty" is dextrous and competent - it's popcorn entertainment that knows what it's doing, felicitously intelligent but also shamelessly amusing. It's a black comedy of the highest standard, and is certainly among the best (and there are many) Elmore Leonard adaptations. Seeing (and hearing) is believing, and you might even be inclined to view it alongside other Leonard conversions ("Jackie Brown," "Out of Sight") if you find yourself seduced by his way of devising parallel universes able to make crime a topic of appeal.
February 14, 2016
A great movie. Loved it.
February 7, 2016
You can call it a black comedy which you never saw again.
December 26, 2015
Hilarious, classy, coolest beyond belief and probably Travolta's best performance, among a superb cast.
December 20, 2015
this movie is so entertaining fantastic script and great characters.great 90s movie