Glengarry Glen Ross - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Glengarry Glen Ross Reviews

June 21, 2017
The all star cast delivers in what is an otherwise simple tale. For what could've been rather boring, they make the most of it and have great back and forth throughout, making them and the scripts the true stars.
½ May 22, 2017
The superlative acting and writing carry this otherwise stagnating film about wanting leads.
May 14, 2017
Raw, intense, beautifully drawn out. I wanted to get more, it felt like two solid acts, but an entire third was missing. I thought maybe we could get to the bottom of what this company really is, though we certainly can imagine along the way that they are crooks. It would've been nice to see the police, after long enough exposure to this office, want to open an investigation on their business practices.

Alan Arkin does a wonderful job as the benign George, who amenably reiterates whatever Dave (Ed Harris) says. We get a sense he's been at this job a long time, hasn't ever gotten ahead, doesn't have enough wisdom to converse with the younger Dave, but is almost willing to blindly follow him for lack of his own direction.

Jack Lemmon as Shelley and Al Pacino as Ricky Roma are the two standout performances, and we are treated to a great interaction between them after Shelley finally gets off a big sale. The interaction ups the ante when Roma's client comes in, the nervous pushover James Lingk (Jonathan Pryce), Shelley and Roma playing a faux client/salesman con to sell Roma as a busy important man. Roma is trying to push Lingk out of the office to keep him from withdrawing his sale - Roma is held onto the lie that Lingk's check hasn't been cashed yet, is secure, and can be returned. Kevin Spacey's young and ignorant John Williamson comes in and screws the whole thing up, misreading the situation, informing Lingk that his check has been cashed and all is well. What follows is Roma's verbal beatdown of Williamson, making up the raw intensity aforementioned.

Everybody hates Williamson after he brings in the negatively charged motivational speaker Blake (Alec Baldwin) to threaten that the lowest earner will be fired. Roma is the standard to meet, and he's got pull over Williamson. His berating of Williamson is something everyone wants to see, especially since Williamson had been hard on the vet Shelley, giving him and everyone else poor leads.

The plot develops when these top leads, which only Roma gets, become the target of everyone in the office, and since nobody will give them up, plans develop to steal them. It starts with Dave trying to convince George to do it - they will sell them off to another company and make a profit for their efforts. But even George is leery about this, second guessing it. All we know is that the next day, the leads have been successfully stolen, and the police are investigating. We suspect George based on the nervous way he acts, but he's nervous to begin with. It's likely Dave is involved no matter what, the guy is always lit without a fill. And then there's the way Shelley is acting, overly celebratory about his latest sale that gets him up on the board.

The scope is limited, but Foley handles it nicely. I like the way this part of New York looks, has a studio backlot old Hollywood feel to it. Blue light lands on several of the characters, Shelley in phone booths. The Chinese restaurant, with it's red lining and open space, provides a hospitable habitat for these workers to relax and stretch. I love the way the train passes in the rain as Shelley crosses the street, Dunkin' Donuts dull in the background. We feel this is a deadbeat part of town, a perfect allusion to the lives of the people working in it.
½ May 11, 2017
A good watch, but really obvious it was a play first
April 22, 2017
Movie about a group of paranoid and angry real estate salesmen. A lot of dialog and cursing. A lot of angry guys shouting at each other. Jack Lemon is absolutely amazing. He carries the movie. One of my all time favorites.
April 10, 2017
Unbridled in profanity and filled to the brim with unadulterated masculinity, 'Glengarry Glen Ross' not only entertains but has enough depth to provoke contemplation for the audience. The cast features some of the best talent Hollywood has to offer, and each performance is as compelling as it is memorable, with mannerisms and dialogue sure to leave lasting impressions. The excessive use of long takes displays the unbelievable acting ability of this small but immensely talented cast. Director James Foley's auteur approach to the film immerses the viewer in the manipulation and ruthlessness of the characters. Each shot is framed superbly, and techniques such as zoom ins or camera pans perfectly complement the cadence and dialogue of the scene. 'Glengarry Glen Ross' is mesmerizing from the very first scene, and the appeal of the relatable struggles that the characters are faced with shows how far pride and competitive spirit will lead a man, when the aforementioned qualities are all a man has.
April 9, 2017
"Put that coffee down! Coffee's for closers only. You think I'm fucking with you?"
½ March 16, 2017
Sizzling with the fury of many a fierce performance, this adaptation of David Mamet's Pulitzer Prize-winning play is an actor's dream assignment, howbeit its exclusive theatrical salesmenspeak.
March 11, 2017
One of the finest acted films I have ever seen. I love movies like this, because it doesn't rely on anything but straight dialogue and acting. A complete acting showcase from the entire cast.
½ February 4, 2017
Wow, what an all around perfect film. The performances are top notch, the script is as clever as any Quentin Tarantino film and the characters themselves are fascinating. You will be on the edge of your seat perplexing who could have stolen the leads. It is a very quick hour and 40 minutes, so hold on because it's a wild ride. All around not to be missed, unless you can't stand movies without sex, drugs and violence or don't like hearing constant strong profanity.
½ January 25, 2017
Living basically on the great performances of its actors and David Mamet's solid script, Glengarry Glen Ross is one clever and compelling take on the world of sales.
January 24, 2017
Glengarry Glen Ross is a masterclass in acting and dialogue.
½ January 23, 2017
Very entertaining, I was very pleasantly surprised!
½ January 18, 2017
Tough as nails and packing an all-star cast, "Glengarry Glen Ross" is an engrossing business drama of a most vicious kind.
January 17, 2017
Filmed claustrophobically, the film truly feels more like a play than movie and is packed with six fine performances with the late Jack Lemmon outshining them all. However, the film suffers by telling more often than it does showing plot.
January 15, 2017
A great film; arguably Alec Baldwin's best minutes on screen.
½ January 15, 2017
Excellent acting and well written dialogue but the limited plot development and static settings limit it.
January 4, 2017
A who's who of acting talent lead a fantastic David Mamet script in putting together a compelling story without a satisfying ending. There is a fantastic way to film interrogation scenes and then there is this. A brilliant switch to the ways things used to be done. Thank goodness for innovation.
December 15, 2016
Horribly tedious. Couldn't wait to get out of the theater. Some plays are better left as plays.
½ November 14, 2016
Alec Baldwin's scene isn't as powerful as it once was with the multiple homages. It's a classic though and well worth a watch