Godzilla 1985 Reviews

• Dec 29, 2019

Godzilla 1985 is a movie that whilst flawed is a fantastic film. Godzilla's suit is scary yet a marvel at the same time. The set design is realistic and all the characters feel real and believable. The only problem is the new U.S scenes, puns and adds are thrown out every time, the only good thing about these is Raymond Burr's character who saves the scenes. But at core its a good movie and all these problems are fixed in the J.P ver which you can get via a Kraken Releasing DVD.

• Nov 17, 2019

It was a pointless movie, with a bad story, and an OK version of Godzilla.

It was a pointless movie, with a bad story, and an OK version of Godzilla.

• Nov 07, 2019

The first Godzilla movie that I ever saw. It absolutely enthralled me! One of my favorites for sure!

• Jan 12, 2019

A hungry Godzilla is peppered with a super X weapon and tricked by underhanded humans.

• Dec 31, 2018

Actually pretty good though I would only recommend it to hardcore Godzilla fans like myself

• Oct 17, 2018

this movie needs more love why fucking people think this is bad like goddzilla 98

• Sep 10, 2018

*This review is intended for the original Japanese version, NOT THE AMERICAN ONE* This first reboot of the Godzilla franchise might not come across as fresh or breathtaking as the first incarnation of the monster (even though it's a continuation of the original film), but thanks to a politically driven plot; "The Return of Godzilla" proves that this monster can still deliver mindless, carnage fun... Even with the suit looking more fake and outdated as ever.

• Mar 31, 2018

This is a great Godzilla film that is super underrated in my opinion. Going to the dark roots of the series it's not the best Godzilla film but its up there.

• Feb 02, 2018

I cannot find the Japanese version titled "Return of Godzilla" so I have to review the English version. I also had this film on VHS with Raymond Burr reprising his US only role from King of the Monsters. Most people don't realize this film essentially rebooted the series to become the direct sequel to the original film. Tonally the movie matches the original film as Godzilla is a force of nature and enemy whom humanity desperately fights against. The movie is somewhat period however as the movie features the US and USSR as major powers having to respond to the threat of Godzilla and the use of nukes more tenuous (look it up). Raymond Burr's role in the US version is neat but he doesn't do anything major unlike the Japanese cast. What i do like is that this film is not militaristic and kind of anti war, esentially viewing fighting and defeating Godzilla as just trying to save people and not "War guns soldiers Patriotism F-YEAH!". It's clever people who band together that save the world from Godzilla not military might. There's no other kaiju which leaves the focus on Godzilla and expands on the ending of the first film which was fear of nuclear weapons and the beasts that could arise from them.

• Jan 27, 2017

Rating for the original uncut Japanese version.

Rating for the original uncut Japanese version.