Goodbye, Dragon Inn Reviews

• Sep 18, 2018

It amazes me how many critics fawn over Tsai fiilms. Vive L'Amour was ok but The River was dull and this is utter tedium. Two lines of dialogue in the entire film if you don't count the film-within-a-film snippets and enough lllooonnnggg takes of a lame woman walking up stairs and down corridors to last me a lifetime.

• Nov 10, 2017

Tsai Ming-liang's obsession with depiction of loneliness using extended silent shots and very minimal dialogue continues in this spellbindingly forlorn observational playlet set almost entirely in a forsaken old theatre operating for the last night showing the titular movie of yesteryear.

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Mar 02, 2016

A haunting, gorgeous and nearly-silent tribute to the experience of cinema-going that perfectly combines melancholy and deadpan humor, with deliberate pacing that may prove too slow to casual moviegoers as it puts sometimes a good deal of emphasis on still moments.

• Dec 22, 2015

I've saw a Ming-liang Tsai film quite lately. It's one of the absolute slowest films I have seen, but I quite liked it - especially after some weeks of sinking in. Long still shots has that effect. This is the interesting director's tribute to the movie theatre as it takes place in one - a theatre that's about to shut down. It's like a Thai version of Cinema Paradiso. It looks swell, but few or no camera movement kills this one a bit - and I actually tend to dig static films. It's a film being played at the cinema hall, so we get some words from there, but otherwise we get the first spoken, an actual character word, after about 45 minutes. We don't get many more to add to the count. Nothing special goes on as we follow a handful of characters, so it's safe to say it's a demanding film that never gave me much to cheer about. 4.5 out of 10 Asianized 20th century fox intros.

• Oct 07, 2015

Ming-liang's Goodbye, Dragon Inn is a contemplative mood piece that centers around a moaning, leaking, dilapidated movie theater in order to convey truths about the evolving nature of society and what this process leaves behind. Defined by voyeurism, claustrophobia, and constant rain, the elegantly composed ruin is a home to a handful of filmgoers unbothered by and uninterested in the film projected on the screen, Ming-liang juxtaposing the traditional action film with the more modern existentialism these people feel as they wander around aimlessly inside of the cavernous relic of the past. These people are lost in the constantly progressing world in which current iconography is immediately forgotten, their time in the haunted theater nothing more than a distraction; this gets to the heart of why we go to the movies, commenting on the fact the the world briefly manifests its sense of self in modes of entertainment before moving on, leaving what was in the past forever.

• Apr 10, 2015

Watching old wuxia movie in an almost empty old seedy theater.

Watching old wuxia movie in an almost empty old seedy theater.

• Apr 21, 2014

This is one of those movies you are either going to love, or completely hate. It consists of long, slow takes where not much happens, but if you have fond memories of nights in empty theaters watching something with only a few people, Goodbye Dragon Inn is an enjoyable, often humorous film. I found myself laughing quite a bit but not at things normally found in comedies. I don't even know who to recommend this too, but its only 80 minutes and I'd say worth a try for more patient movie fans.

• Mar 30, 2014

"Goodbye Dragon Inn" is meticulous in every sense of the term. It has a meticulous pace, meticulous characters, and meticulous camera work. It's a movie for the patient. "Goodbye, Dragon Inn" is wonderfully observant, and while I don't think I understood it all, I found myself fascinated by the oddity of it all, and by the ambitions of the characters (and how those ambitions are observed in the camerawork and pace of the film and its 90 seconds+ shots). "Goodbye, Dragon Inn" is Arpke Approved at 4 out of 5 stars

• Sep 06, 2013

ok direction and idea.. but poor plot/characters

ok direction and idea.. but poor plot/characters

• Apr 30, 2013

Goodbye, Dragon Inn details the last night of a movie theater before it closes, showing one more film, Dragon Inn. The film is rather evocative as it is a send-off to a dying era and a true appreciation of films as it explores not only the theater itself, but also takes a brief detour to explore its last viewers. It's a love letter to a dying appreciation as well as a dying era. It's a strange, beautiful piece of film-making that will not be for everyone (Especially with such scenes as a woman with a lame leg taking five minutes to walk across the aisle of one of the theaters), but it will bear great significance to those who appreciate cinema as it reflects the feelings of changing times and changing tastes. It won't be for everyone, but I found it to be a compelling film. Be warned, though, it's only for those with a strong stomach for art-house films. But, if you really enjoy films and enjoy some really out there kind of films, you may find something here.