Gosford Park Reviews

• Oct 09, 2019

"A realistic Charlie Chan movie." is how the character describes the movie within the movie of "Gosford Park" and that was probably the jumping off point for this masterpiece. It represents some of the best, if not the best, work of the entire cast with heavy lidded Richard Grant as the flippant footman, James Wilby as an utter cad, and really an entire cast giving such relaxed yet also emotionally true performances it's a movie I can watch again and again. Watch for Kristen Scott Thomas dripping with diamonds and condescension as she corrects her husband's "peasant" behavior and yet can barely contain her glee when she finds the delicious Ryan Phillipe as a valet sleeping conveniently right under her own roof. Or Stephen Fry as a delightfully incompetent police inspector so thrilled to be among the aristocrats that he haphazardly destroys evidence while also making a fool of himself.

• Aug 16, 2019

It was okay. Enough to pass on an afternoon when not much else is going on. The film felt too much like it wanted to be a murder mystery at times, and then funny at others. Could have been much better as just a murder mystery. Plus it was too long. Still, it does examine an interesting perspective from a servant in British culture

• Jul 21, 2019

La impronta casi perfecta de Robert Altman.

La impronta casi perfecta de Robert Altman.

• Jun 10, 2019

Amazing piece of story telling, it is rare in film to see such an intricate piece interwoven with such skill. I loved the strong character development that was done along the way as the expected murder happened and the plot twist at the end is quite masterful and un-expected as to who ultimately is the killer and most especially why. I found it a true delight but I realize it is an acquired taste so if you if you do not appreciate British murder mysteries like Agatha Christie's "Murder on the Orient Express" (this was better IMHO) then you will not appreciate it. But since I have read every book Agatha Christie, Dorothy Sayers and Sir Author Conan Doyle have ever written, it was a sumptuous delight.

• May 18, 2019

A happy-go-lucky holiday is ruined by a loud bang, is the concept, and so does how the film come off. Gosford Park Altman would make a great crossword puzzle creator in one of the newspaper publishing team. So what if the themes are iterated. That is where, the director, Robert Altman's skills come in use, with a stable juggling act, the objects keeps increasing and the tension, surprisingly, released. Also, What is it with these mysteries confined within a boundary? Is it because it challenges us offensively and subjugates us to be the Stephen Fry of this tale? Who knows? All I know is that I was enjoying the social rigmarole of dominating each other with one note of superiority or in some cases none. Couldn't we just have enjoyed watching these highly poised and self-acclaimed important people fumble knowingly and hide their secret amateurishly. But no, the party had to be ruined. I was drunk on how quickly their loyalty and friendship changes, so stupid it seems and yet familiar it sounds. The compactness of the house filtered equally among these characters is the best puzzle spread across this long dinner table. And, of course, along with it, the traveling route of the gossip that is smooth and clean as those suits these pretentious gentlemen are wearing in this mansion. The casting is a bit of a give away, next time, if you don't want your audience to know the final act, cast B listed celebrities. As far as humor is concerned, Stephen Fry obviously, comes with a banner to take things lightly for apparently, it is a policy among the smartest detective, that is, they have to come with a sarcastic lexicon. Personally, I found Maggie Smith to be the real clown of this circus; who'd have thought of that. Gosford Park is exactly like some park, each character is set in its corner sulking and no one, mind you, no one is there for the fresh air.

• May 16, 2019

As a period piece, this film excels but as a murder mystery it is lacking. I expected more from all the rave reviews but other than a brilliant collection of talent the film drags through the 'who done it' in an unremarkable manner.

• May 14, 2019

Gosford Park is a 2001 British murder mystery film directed by Robert Altman. I enjoyed the period settings in this film, and while the acting is generally very good (any scene featuring Maggie Smith especially), I found the story at times to be a little jumpy and poorly edited. Still, it's an entertaining and visually appealing movie. Considered one of the best Mystery Films of all time. AAN GGNC

• Apr 30, 2019

I watched this with my dad and we were bored to death watching it. We were annoyed with how stuck up these characters were, the plot was boring, it took too long for anything to happen, it was way too predictable, and there was just no likeability to this. The only good thing in this movie was that Maggie Smith was in it (huge Murder by Death fan), but even then, she was unbearable. My dad even fell asleep watching this. I would never recommend this movie unless you want to watch something to put you to sleep.

• Feb 01, 2019

The best mystery movie ever made!

The best mystery movie ever made!

• Jan 15, 2019

A great country house film boosted healthily by Maggie Smith's greatest turn.

A great country house film boosted healthily by Maggie Smith's greatest turn.