Gothika - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gothika Reviews

½ June 12, 2016
Terrible movie! Same story! So predictable
April 16, 2016
I watched this film after I got it for my birthday and I really thought that Gothika had good suspense, hidden secrets and exceptionally amazing scares.
January 16, 2016
Wicked, twisted and fucking great
½ November 18, 2015
Despite convincing performances, Gothika's storyline descends into an absurd menagerie of twists and turns and loses most of its fright factor along the way.
½ November 11, 2015
Halle Berry's performance, psychological questioning, and atmospheric cinematography all help to make Gothika an effectively creepy thriller.
October 4, 2015
An intriguing set up transforms in a thriller that runs by the numbers, but some scenes are worthwhile. Gothika delivers some fright.
September 17, 2015
Hilariously bad, it's indeed one of those "so bad it's good" movies! C+
August 14, 2015
Excellent murder mystery
July 10, 2015
Just a tiresome viewing experience.
½ June 11, 2015
Gothika is genuinely chilling but ultimately too silly for me to recommend. Would the psychiatric ward really take in their own psychologist if she was accused of murdering her husband? If the ghost is good, why is she slamming Halle Berry against the walls? Also, why does the ghost blow fire out of her hands?

This is all very entertaining, nonetheless, but it's just too flawed.
April 14, 2015
An awesome film......
April 3, 2015
Interesting idea, not quite sure if it works, particularly by the end. Did seem to be a lot of unnecessary running around by Halle Berry.
The actually story was quite good, although at times couldn't figure out why the ghost was such a b* to Halle when she was trying to help her. You do find out the connection at the end, and it is horrible.
My mother picked this on Netflix to watch and I will admit to some eye rolling, and probably last movie I would have picked (which isn't actually saying a lot), but actually it wasn't entirely awful.
January 17, 2015
Not a bad little horror/thriller/psychological drama. It all resolved itself a bit too predictably and quickly in the end I thought, but overall not bad!
½ January 14, 2015
Really crappy nonsense. I don't understand why talents such as Halle Berry and Robert Downey would even bother signing up for something as awful as this.
January 13, 2015
Classic case of an average film completely going off the rails at the end. The first two-thirds are decent enough. Halle Berry's asylum psychiatrist wakes up as a patient accused of slaughtering her husband. Then it turns into an eye-rolling ghost story. You can see the final act twist coming from a mile away.
January 11, 2015
A movie with quite a lot of not make sense flows.

However, the ability of the director of telling a story to his audience. The camera angle, the colour, the scene and the flow of the story. The main actress, however, not very impressive.

The movie is good to watch
December 27, 2014
Ugh. I don't know. I watched it. And I found myself looking at the clock, wondering when it was going to wrap itself up and still make a little sense. What started as an interesting psychological thriller evolved into a supernatural, campy prison movie, even with the typical women's prison shower scene. It tries so hard to be a scary thriller, but movies don't get A's for effort, especially if they fail at execution. If Halle Berry weren't in this movie, would anyone have even seen it? Ugh. I guess I do know. Skip it.
½ December 2, 2014
Halle Berry and Robert Downey Jr. Are the best things about this movie. Everything else is merely minor entertainment.
October 30, 2014
Gothika is a outstanding thriller that uses a dark gloomy asylum with a exciting dark grisly tale that will forever make it a gothic masterpiece in my eyes.
October 23, 2014
Haven't watched a few years this pretty good story... Reminiscing the following scenes after each significant moment, but sill... In my life it is 10th year anniversary since the day I've watched this story first time... And I still thinking, there something were concealed, I mean for a full understanding something missing...