Gotti - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gotti Reviews

½ January 14, 2019
Unrealistic. I couldn´┐ 1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2(TM)t watch John T. without grimising. He totally missed the mark on Gotti. Gotti was a real charismatic person. John T. Not so much.
January 14, 2019
I´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)ll ewe just got done watching Gotti on Netflix or Prime Video. I´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)m tired and don´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)t remember which venue it was. Anywho....I was curious about the movie since I hadn´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)t heard about it until my husband asked me if I wanted to watch it.

We are ´┐ 1/2 1/2fans´┐ 1/2 1/2? of mob stories. True crime shows. History kind of shows. We watch a ton of them and have probably seen just about every documentary and docudrama ever made on the mob. I´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)m also a fan of John Travolta. Since welcome back Kotter days.

If you are looking for blood and gore there isn´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)t too much in the way of horrible awful blood and brains but they do enough of a job so you get the idea. I think this is probably one of the best movies I´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)ve watched in a long time. Don´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)t believe the stories about the lovefest for the Gotti family some have said this was. I think it´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)s basically from John Gotti´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)s perspective and has the highlights from big events in his life both in and out of the mob. The end has him telling his son to show the court system what a real man is and I think he does.

We aren´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)t Italian. We aren´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)t remotely close to that lifestyle. We don´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)t think Gotti was a god. We think he was a human. A father. A husband. I think John Travolta nailed it. He should be proud of his portrayal. Some of his best work yet. Right up there with pulp fiction imho.

If you get a chance watch it. It was worth it.
½ January 11, 2019
I watched this because I wanted to see if anything could be as bad as a zero percent score made it seem like it is. Plus, I am a Van Der Pump Rules fan, and wanted to see if Lala Kent's fiance was any good at movies. This is literally painful to watch. John Travolta over acts every scene. Plus, he looks like he is wearing a Halloween mask in the scenes where Gotti is older. This movie glorifies crime and makes murderers the victims of law enforcement. I guess it makes sense that a Scientologist would be used as the star of this movie considering what David Miscavidge did to his wife, and that John Travolta is protecting Miscavidge - who probably murdered his wife. This is really a painful to watch move. I highly recommend that you drive back and forth over speed bumps instead because that is more pleasant.
January 4, 2019
Well that movie sucked. Johnny boy, didn't get around to reading the script before you took the role?
½ January 3, 2019
"Audiences loved Gotti"
Well, that ain't true, this movie sucks shit.
Original Score: 0/infinity
½ January 3, 2019
What a mess. Simply put, this is the story about the life and crimes of John Gotti (John Travolta) and his son (Spencer Rocco Lofranco). Now this came out right around the time that MoviePass started showing how many problems they were having as a company. No, we are not allowing you to see Mission: Impossible - Fallout in its fifth week in theaters, but literally every single showtime of this and Slender Man are available ad infinitum. For whatever reason, they decided to push all their chips in on promoting this film, and if you have the misfortune of having watched this, you will be unable to discern why. This is just a disaster of a film in a pretty spectacular fashion. For starters, all of the acting is dreadful. I don't know if Travolta is playing down to the caliber of his supporting cast, but everyone walks away from this looking like an amateur. It could very well be the fault of the director; this is from Kevin Connolly of Entourage fame. As you may be able to guess, he gives this story a very bro-y feeling to it, which is just about the last thing you want from a gangster movie. It makes for really bizarre scenes that are difficult to watch. For example, there's this street barbeque in the late 70s/early 80s... where they are inexplicably blasting Pitbull. My brain did a backflip, because I never expected to see a film that wanted so desperately to be Goodfellas paired with Mr. Worldwide. On top of all that, this script is incomprehensible. Instead of having just a through line of a story, they try to cover Gotti's entire life jumping back in forth in time, and yes, that does involve him in cancer makeup in prison. They try to cram the name of everyone he was ever associated with into the story, and after awhile, it just becomes this blur of Italian names that is impossible to keep up with, because it is information overload. This movie is notorious, and rightfully so. Getting a 0% on rottentomatoes is almost as difficult as getting a perfect score, and this one deserves it. I don't follow the Razzies, but I am sure this will walk away with a fistful of nominations, if not "wins". It is one of those rare movies that fails at everything that it set out to do, and I honestly cannot think of a positive thing to say about it. Connolly clearly adores and admires Gotti, which is a weird idol to have, and this movie is a smorgasbord of stereotypes, swearing, and assassinations. It is a train wreck to behold, but if you're going to watch this, do it at your own discretion, and don't say I didn't warn you.
January 3, 2019
Good movie, Travolta is still doing it.
January 1, 2019
"How 'bout the movies? You like - you like - whassat movie you like so much about spaghetti, 'Meatballs' or sumn. Go see that."

Edited in a blender, this laughably bad biopic of the notorious John Gotti was mired in development hell over the last decade with something like 4 different directors and countless rewrites. The final product is an absolute mess of extremely violent spurts punctuating a boring series of clunky framing devices and Goodfellas-style narration. This is all exacerbated by an incomprehensible plot that would only make sense to someone who has intimate knowledge of Gotti's biography. John Travolta is on a full-boar ham-page chewing scenery and milking his hyperbolic Brooklyn accent rivaled only in its inauthenticity by Little Italy. There's so much unnecessary cursing in the dialogue it would make a sailor in a David Mamet play blush. Then Pitbull does the main theme, if that's any indication of the poor decisions being thrown about in this catastrophic love letter to a horrible criminal.
½ December 30, 2018
It shouldn't have been that bad, but, oh, it was so bad....so bad.
½ December 29, 2018
Nunca va a superar a la pelÝcula de 1996, ninguno de los actores parece italiano, parece ambientada en el a˝o 2000, mal guion y pobres actuaciones
December 28, 2018
Deserves an Academy Award for this performance!
December 27, 2018
I have to say I thinkzero rating is absurd. While this movie isn't Casino or the Godfather, it is heart felt, well acted and generally entertaining. The beginning is slow but it builds up to a punch at the end. It makes me think what agenda Rotten Tomatoes has. Maybe they got a phone call from the FBI, because according to this movie they are the real villain of the piece.
December 27, 2018
I thought the movie was phenomenal!
½ December 26, 2018
I was so amped to see this movie, but it was just meh. Its not that it was bad...it just wasnt good. I thought it was going to be more Goodfellas and the story line was just boring.
December 24, 2018
ItÔ(TM)s bad, but watchable. Take a Lifetime movie, throw in a few murders and a lot of curse words, thatÔ(TM)s Gotti. The plot is confusing at times, they rush through certain details that make the whole story sort of chaotic. If it werenÔ(TM)t for the fascination that a real story as crazy as his draws, this movie eould have nothing going for it. Travolta is good in it, but Preston is over the top, her accent is laughable.
December 23, 2018
FABULOUS ACTING! GREAT STORY!
December 23, 2018
I really liked this movie. Great acting
½ December 21, 2018
Gotti is a disappointment through and through, apart from some scenes the film is a total farce, it just didn't have enough range to carry this kind of story, let alone make it worth watching, it's obvious that the makers of this film wanted to cover as much as they could and while at it include the human aspect of it but it just came out as convoluted mess, the sad part is that John Travolta really went for it and in my opinion gave a great performance but let's be honest here, the story wasn't on his side, to have John Gotti's illustrious life as your main source material and you mess up like that is damn borderline criminal.
To be short here, Gotti is a watered down biopic that offers no insight nor thrill of the life that the Teflon Don had, I want my hour and a half back,
December 17, 2018
Huge John Travolta fan. I think he overdid this one. Too boring. I was not expecting anything more than one star from watching the reviews earlier. I think the CRITICS got it right this time.
½ December 16, 2018
This movie is not as terrible as many critics have painted it. However, the production woes are evident. The music choices are off. It also is clear John Jr. had a big hand in the production. The biggest shame is that a B+ performance by Travolta is wasted on a poor script. If you curb your expectations, it is an OK film.