Grace Of Monaco - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Grace Of Monaco Reviews

½ February 1, 2017
It's should've been better than this
½ December 28, 2016
Taisin odottaa tältä leffalta liikoja... :o Nicole Kidman oli kuitenkin elokuvan valopilkku. ^_^
October 21, 2016
I think most of the critics got it badly wrong!
½ August 16, 2016
Before there was Diana Spencer Mountbatten-Windsor, there was Grace Kelly Grimaldi. Both were very pretty, loved the world over and died far too young as the result of tragic car accidents.

Nicole Kidman plays the actress-turned-princess in this fairy tale telling (not a biopic, says director Olivier Dahan) of that time when the whole world held its collective breath as France threatened to annex the tiny principality of Monaco over its status as a tax haven. I'm kidding, of course. Unless you were a wealthy Frenchman or woman back in 1962, you probably didn't even know about this. So, is this the best story screenwriter Arash Amel (ERASED) could come up with? Mais, attendez, mes chers amis. It gets worse, unfortunately. The Grimaldis are a fiercely private bunch and we really know very little of what Princess Grace's life was like in the palace. As a result, all we really have with GRACE OF MONACO is a lot of conjecture.

Here's what we do know: Grace Kelly was a young and hugely successful American actress. In five short years, she made 11 films in Hollywood, winning the Best Actress in a Leading Role Oscar (R) in 1955 for THE COUNTRY GIRL. She is perhaps best known, though, for her role in Alfred Hitchcock's now classic film, REAR WINDOW. She met Prince Rainier III of Monaco while attending the Cannes Film Festival in 1955. Although she was dating French actor, Jean-Pierre Aumont (LILI) at the time, Grace and Rainier struck up a private correspondence. They married the following year in what the media at the time dubbed "the Wedding of the Century". She was just 26.

In 1962, when GRACE OF MONACO is set, Princess Grace already had two children with Rainier - Caroline and Albert. (Stephanie was born in 1965.) Hitchcock had offered her the lead in his new film, MARNIE, which she initially accepted. However, the people of Monaco felt that the princess' acting past should be left in the past and public sentiment turned against her. Grace decided to turn the Hitchcock down and stay in Monaco. Around the same time, French president Charles de Gaulle began threatening to put a blockade around the principality because his country's rich were moving their money to Monaco to avoid paying taxes. Rainier was trying to diversify his city-state's economy which, at the time, was heavily reliant upon gambling revenues.

If we are to believe the version of events à la GRACE OF MONACO, the princess was terribly unhappy in those early years. Her outspokenness on political issues was unappreciated by Rainier (Tim Roth) and his inner circle, which consisted of, among others, the Greek shipping magnate, Aristotle Onassis. She was like a fish out of water, resented, too, by Monaco's elite women who viewed her as decidedly middle class. Her only friend in the principality was the sagacious American chaplain for the Palace of Monaco, Father Francis ("Tuck") Tucker (Frank Langella). He convinced Grace that being a princess was just like one of the many roles she had had in Hollywood. They agreed that, with a bit of coaching, she could become the princess that Rainier and the rest of the Monegasques wanted. So, Grace engaged the services of Monaco's own Henry Higgins, the vivacious Count Fernando d'Aillieres (Derek Jacobi). (We don't know from the film but I believe d'Aillieres was Rainier's father).

Barely one week later, the new-and-improved Grace was ready for her debut. She convinced Rainier to invite de Gaulle to a charity event she was organising for the Red Cross. With de Gaulle in attendance at the black tie dinner, Grace looked the model elegant princess and she delivered a heartfelt "kumbaya-let's-hold-hands-and-love-each-other" speech. What could de Gaulle do but concede defeat? The princess single-handedly saved the monarchy! Vive la maison Grimaldi! Now let's eat.

Not surprisingly, GRACE OF MONACO was snubbed by the princess' children, who called the film a complete fiction. I wasn't there, of course, so I don't know what really happened in Monaco in 1962 but I found this story to be completely ridiculous, not to mention insulting to Grace's memory. Dahan (who also directed LA VIE EN ROSE) responded to the royal press release saying, "I have done... a human portrait of a modern woman who wants to reconcile her family, her husband, her career". Wow. And she did all in a week!

But that's only part of the problem with the film. The story is about as exciting as a fallen soufflé. To be honest, who really cares, other than the Monegasques and the super-rich, what happens in Monaco? Tax reform in a tiny corner of the planet doesn't seem very important at any time but considering the Cuban missile crisis took place only a year before, this little bit of financial business belongs way down on the list of events that shook the world. As a result, it is extremely hard to get emotionally invested in the story. The acting, too, doesn't help. For the first half of the film, we see Kidman as Grace in close up after close up, looking like she's spent the better part of each day having a good cry. After her one week crash course in princessing, Grace is a whole new woman, smiling and confident, charming everyone from Monaco's elite to the French border gendarmes. Ah, if only the key to inner fulfillment was really that simple. Roth as Rainier was no better. He had one emotion throughout the film - "serious". Rainier was a man who had a colourful history yet we are given no evidence of that in the film. (His mother was the illegitimate child of his grandfather's mistress. Before Grace came along, Rainier lived openly with a French film star. For the 1950s, this would have been scandalous except that Rainier's sister, Princess Antoinette, had already had three children out of wedlock with a tennis star-turned-attorney. Rainier and his girlfriend apparently separated when it was thought that she was infertile. As it turned out, she wasn't and she had a child with another actor a few years later.) Was he faithful to Grace during those years? We don't know.

The film was also booed at by audiences at the Cannes Film Festival back in May. I wish I had been there for that! As someone who has programmed a film festival for many years, I completely understand the Cannes organisers' decision to include it in their festival. However, they must have realised what a bad film they had on their hands. The scene where Grace pantomimes different regal emotions was a complete forehead smacker. The idea that Grace, the actress supreme, could fool all the people all the time with just an inventory of different looks is simply beyond belief. I had heard that the Cannes audience broke into incredulous laughter at various points during the screening. This must have been one of those points.

GRACE OF MONACO is royal rubbish. Do yourself a favour and give it a huge miss. Better yet, watch the real Grace Kelly in Alfred Hitchcock's REAR WINDOW instead.
July 28, 2016
Just one word: Boring.
½ March 4, 2016
..did nothing for me...
January 10, 2016
Contrived, yet beautiful. Why were her eyes always distractingly red?!
½ January 8, 2016
I love Nicole Kidman, and she is beautiful and very good in her role. Unfortunately, the film isn't as good as Nicole is. The writing and editing were a mess. It all looked pretty though.
December 19, 2015
This movie proves that soft fluff can be comfortable and pretty, if not substantial.
December 7, 2015
bucking the trend here... Donna and I liked it
½ November 30, 2015
This fictionalized portrayal of Grace Kelly's life is a relatively absorbing character study until it finally decides to glamorize her with sacred music and a godlike back light behind her in a heavy-handed, hagiographic third act that feels terribly embarrassing.
October 10, 2015
Ok movie. Not quite what I expected, but a somewhat interesting take on Grace Kelly.
½ September 12, 2015
Nicole Kidman is actually quite good as Grace Kelly, but she's adrift in a film otherwise populated with hammy overacting. The combination of a very serious plot with near-parody performances results in a movie that is best described as little bit goofy.
½ August 29, 2015
Even when the anachronic film fails into historic accuracy, performances are not convincing and a dull script... The enjoyable part comes between the tension of war and a strategic use of public opinion with the 60's glamour.
August 9, 2015
I had assumed this was going to be a movie star biopic , and I rather like movie star biopics, ( Chaplin etc ) even those made for TV ones. I wasn't expecting much, just a nostalgic trip into old Hollywood and some nice shots of Monaco, probably topped off with a state funeral. That's not what you get here, you get a tale of political history ( I've no idea if it's based on fact and quite frankly I don't care), Grace Kelly's input into the affairs of state can really only be guessed at and as a fan of her movie career quite frankly, " I don't give a damn". Nicol Kidman is truly aweful here ( and I usually admire her work) , she's stiff as a board , she's painfully aware she's nothing like Grace Kelly in any way, a fact the director is continually enphasising by shooting only parts of her face ( as if to say " this may help you think it really is Grace Kelly") this just gets embarrassing . The will she, won't she, story about her appearing in Marnie is drawn out too, we know she doesn't so why go on about it, and I've always understood Rainier put his foot down and told her she couldn't play a cleptomaniac murderess ( not mentioned in this film but a more plausible explanation than the one put forward here). So if you want to watch a film about how Nicol Kidman saved the royal family of Monaco, you might just enjoy this, but if you want to watch a biopic of Grace Kelly there are better ones out there.
½ August 5, 2015
Almost uneventful. BUt Nicole KIdman is good.
½ July 26, 2015
Nicole Kidman is of course too old to play early 1960s Grace Kelly, but while this flimsy biopic is never "Mommie Dearest" level camp nor "Coal Miner's Daughter" sublime, I was still more interested in it than I thought I would be. The great cast (Tim Roth, Frank Langella, Derek Jacobi, Parker Posey) and the story, which focuses on France briefly flexing its muscles and bullying Monaco, made the difference.
½ July 20, 2015
I mostly enjoyed this movie, but I was hoping for a little bit more romance. I think they did a great job at casting actors who looked like the person they were playing.
July 18, 2015
Ok not a fan of Kidman and Costum-movies , but plasently surprised by this movie and Kidman ( who i like more sinds she left that Smurf Cruise ) , and my opinion again totally different then so called crittical reviewers , so what !
June 28, 2015
This movie has had quite a troubled history. It was originally supposed to come out in the fall of 2013, but fighting between director Olivier Dahan and distributor Harvey Weinstein caused the film to be pushed back to 2014. Then, when the film premiered at the Cannes Film Festival, the critical reaction was so harsh that the movie's U.S. release date was postponed indefinitely. It finally premiered on the U.S. on Memorial Day on the Lifetime TV network.

Apart from the somewhat decent acting by Nicole Kidman, Tim Roth and Frank Langella and the okay sets and costumes, this movie is BORING!!! I honestly almost fell asleep watching it. Plus, given that this wasn't supposed to be released as a TV movie, the commercial breaks happened at very awkward moments, disrupting the flow of the movie. But even without the commercial breaks, the film would have still suffered from its sluggish pace, generic script, and lackluster direction. Plus, many of the events in this film are downright fictional. In real life, Alfred Hitchcock never tried to convince Grace Kelly to return to Hollywood and resume her film career after she married Prince Renier of Monaco.

Overall, this film had a lot of potential, but just failed miserably in the final product. 2/10.