The Graduate - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

October 2, 2016
Classic masterpiece --a personal favorite
½ August 31, 2016
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Profundamente reflexiva, The Graduate abarca uno de los momentos mas trascendentales e importantes de nuestras vidas reflejado en una magistral visión de Mike Nichols. Ademas las exquisitas actuaciones de Michael Douglas y Anne Bancroft no tienen precio.
August 27, 2016
The music, the performances, the precision in capturing the post-college malaise -- The Graduate's coming-of-age story is indeed one for the ages.
August 4, 2016
A hard woman is good to find. Or is that a good woman is even better. Or whatever.
July 27, 2016
The pinnacle of storytelling via camerawork rather than dialogue. Such an important movie to watch as a film student. One of my favorite movies of all time.
July 19, 2016
The Graduate (1967) C-106m. ???? D: Mike Nichols. Anne Bancroft, Dustin Hoffman, Katharine Ross, Murray Hamilton, William Daniels, Elizabeth Wilson. Ultra-nervous college graduated is seduced by sexy Mrs. Robinson (Bancroft), then falls in love with her daughter. Milestone in American movies, and an exhilaration in sheer moviemaking (love those camera angles!). Classic film gets funnier and more potent with each viewing. This made Hoffman an instant star, marked the music by "Simon & Garfunkel", and earned Nichols a best director Oscar. And who could ever forget that final shot? Look fast for Richard Dreyfuss.
½ July 17, 2016
Romantic comedy from 1967 that introduced Dustin Hoffman to the A-list in Hollywood.
Hoffman plays Ben Braddock the 20 year old college graduate of the title.
The story is based on his fears, hopes for his future life set amongst a backdrop of romantic situations with an older woman and someone who he falls in love with.
The film has an excellent Simon and Garfunkel soundtrack that has you humming lines like 'Jesus loves you more than you know!'
The Director of Photography uses some clever camera/lens shots throughout the film. The 1967 shoot oozes quality.
Directed by British helmer Mike Nichols The film is an excellent example of the new wave of movies that were released towards the end of the sixties into the seventies and rightly has its positive reviews.
½ July 10, 2016
I played this movie randomly after a long time without being in the mood for it. At least twice I tried to shut it so that I could watch something more "fun" but I couldn't. The movie was so good that I had to keep watching. The long shots, the acting and the subtleties beautifully blended together. This is a great watch and for people who don't want to watch "old' cinema, believe me, this one will not feel like that.
June 30, 2016
Koukuttava klassikko! :* (Suom. Miehuuskoe)
½ June 21, 2016
Graduated from school, to explore; unintendedly mousetrapped by the society. Descending under layers of expectations, we acknowledge Ben ultimately vanishing from sight. From achieving his freedom to recognising his desire, it's a package of visual metaphors used beautifully to express the inner-emotions.
½ June 15, 2016
What a pile of crap. This has got to be the stupidest most vacuous, vapid, soulless piece of garbage I have ever seen. The lead actresses and actors seem like they are members of a Satanic cult in pursuit of chaotic and dead end relationships. Absolutely without redeeming value, up there with Stephen King's horror films. Hoffman, Bancroft, Daniels and the rest are exemplifiers of a nihilistic and hopeless lifestyle and should be embarrassed to have taken money for this tawdry waste of film.
June 15, 2016
The Graduate is directed by Mike Nichols, and it stars Dustin Hoffman in his first main role and Anne Bancroft in a dramedy about a grad student that has no idea about what his future is, until he come across his father's business wife who wants him to take a ride back home, where he seduces him there. When I was at my friend's house, I was looking through his films, and I felt that I wanted to watch Final Fantasy: The Spirits Awaken until my friend comes back as he bought even more movies. However, there were some distractions that didn't got me to see it, and for the movies my friend bought, we decided to watch a movie that he bought, and that was this one, which I'm glad that I finally got to see it as I heard that it's a classic movie, and it really is. I wouldn't really know what the 60s was like since I wasn't born in that time and I haven't watch much films that were around that time either, I'll just put that out there, but it seems like the movie brings the vision about a serious subject that was probably not familiar in that time, and that is cougar. The way that it was talking about really seem to be realistic, and really ahead of its time, like almost the rest of the movie. Even at his first main role, Dustin Hoffman is terrific in this, he's got the charms, and the comedic timing that got me laughing in some scenes. Anne Bancroft plays a seducing character very well that it makes sense why Dustin Hoffman's character would be intimidated by her. The songs are surprisingly catchy to this day, which I didn't know that Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel was in this, and the writing by Calder Willingham and Buck Henry is very well written that it created memorable characters that have to deal with legitimate problems. Even though there are some funny stuff in here, the movie does take itself seriously, and it's executed very well, although some people might find Dustin Hoffman's character a little creepy when it was getting to the end. When it gets to the end of the film, it leads up to one of the funniest parts of the movie, and gets to a resolution that I'm not quite sure whether it's a happy ending or not. I was getting a little bothered by the fact that it was getting a little too long in getting to the destination, but then I thought about it, and realize that it made it look more realistic that it does take some time getting there. In the end, The Graduate is a terrific movie that I'm surprised it took me so long to finally get to watch it.
May 10, 2016
Phenomenal movie. Even after nearly fifty years, this movie remains prominent and important, thanks to its semi-relatable plot and characters, hilarious moments, fantastic direction and perfect performances from its cast.
May 10, 2016
The Graduate is at times very funny and has some great subtlety. With one of the greatest ending in the history of cinema!!! Oh and great soundtrack! Its a film that will stick with you and deserves to be called a classic.
Gets better with multiple viewings too
½ May 5, 2016
An American classic that is completely timeless
May 1, 2016
This is the first big movie for Dustin Hoffman who plays Ben, a disillusioned college graduate who finds himself torn between his older lover (the original cougar Anne Bancroft) and her daughter (Katharine Ross). Bancroft was in her mid-30's at the time of this movie, but she is sultry and smoking hot: no wonder Hoffman cannot choose between the two! A nice dash or humor, mixed in with a little romance this movie is one that still holds up nearly 50 years later. This quintessential classic won Mike Nichols the Oscar for Best Directing and nods for Ross, Hoffman, and Bancroft. Features the music of Simon and Garfunkel and this is where their song "Mrs. Robinson" got started.
½ April 30, 2016
One of the most well executed films of all time, the characters, pacing, timing, dialogue and story are all nailed down extremely well.
April 27, 2016
This movie spoke to me in a way I can't even describe. Who would have thought that a coming of age dramedy mixed with Simon and Garfunkel could be so potent. Hoffman has the amazing ability to communicate more with a single look than any bit of dialogue. Cheers to you Mr. Nichols.
March 23, 2016
The Graduate is one of those films that is both dated and timeless at the same time. It was written for the rebellious teens and college students of the time, but still has a lot of universal forces driving the plot. Ben is our anti-hero who is the tortured soul that has no idea how to live his life. All he knows is that he is constantly under the thumb of his parents and their friends. His affair with Mrs. Robinson, his eloping with Elaine, and the way he spends his spare time all revolve around a deep need to satisfy them. Him and Mrs. Robinson make the movie stand out, as they are easily character staples in cinema while the other characters aren't nearly as developed. Just goes to show that you don't have to have a star-studded involved cast to make a pertinent film. A personal theory I have about The Graduate is that Mrs. Robinson's affair with Ben was her way of keeping him from marrying Elaine, in her insane drive to be over protective. She nearly succeeds until they run from the church away from her. There is much debate about the ending of the film, the long bus ride with the altering faces and the Simon and Garfunkel pop song "Sound of Silence". Think of it this way, these two newly grads have never lived a life outside their family, and now they are at a state where they can't come back to them. A dark aspect to this coming of age tale, but it takes a turn to discuss the destruction of the family structure long before it was the norm to do so. It's hard to find anything wrong with a film that does so well at a subtle pushing of the envelope as this one does.
March 13, 2016
One of my all time favorites, the graduate is film that resonates with you.