The Graduate - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Graduate Reviews

August 3, 2017
Amazing. The subtle comedy in this is so brilliant that its one of the funniest movies you will ever see if you look close enough
July 27, 2017
After finally watching The Graduate I can honestly say that I loved this film! I watched it at the perfect time with my age where I feel the same angst as Ben (not in his exact situations LOL). I have never seen a song fit so perfectly for a film. Every word describes exactly the inner turmoil that our main character is feeling. The acting is superb. Dustin Hoffman, Katharine Ross, and Anne Bancroft all deserved their Oscar nomination. The direction Mike Nichols takes The Graduation is fantastic and once again definitely deserved the Oscar win. This film is definitely a classic and one of the best coming of age stories of all time. The comedy in this movie still holds up and is absolutely fantastic. I fully heartedly recommend checking this out as soon as possible and especially if you are in college or just graduating college.
½ July 25, 2017
The definition of a classic film - The Graduate not only wrings nearly 2 hours of laughs out of a ultra-serious plot line, but director Nichols guides his actors in a way that feels youthfully somber but with a hilariously honest edge.
½ July 25, 2017
Great coming of age story for sure, with an incredible script, beautifully awkward situations, and Dustin Hoffman, what more can you ask for? Only thing about it is: this movie is 50 years now, and for most of the content holding up, the comedy doesn't. It's more of a drama with some awkward moments that make for a chuckle or two in the beginning of the movie, but that's it. Overall, the only thing that tells you how old it is, is the fact that it's a comedy that's not so funny.
July 9, 2017
Film-legend, iconic film of the 60s. Its ending is perfect. It wonderfully captures rebelliousness for the rebelliousness sake only. This film has so many memorable scenes and performances, the soundtrack is timeless.
June 2, 2017
A personal fav since it debuted, when all I liked was the moody music and couldn't understand what it was about excepting that a sense of loss permeated the work (but NOW I get it - because I grew up with it - and it'll always be a personal fav). Whatever may be wrong with the world, Benjamin decides that its better to face it with someone rather than face it alone.
May 26, 2017
With impeccable direction from Mike Nichols, The Graduate will certainly seduce you.
½ May 25, 2017
Brilliant comedy/drama about a college graduate (Dustin Hoffman) who becomes seduced by an older, more experienced, and married woman. Complicating matters further, he falls for her daughter. Soundtrack by Simon & Garfunkel features recordings that also compliment the action.
May 12, 2017
A timeless classic.

Most men who have seen this film find the affair unreal when young, with Mrs Robinson "old" ( even though Bancroft was only 35 at the time), and then more interesting as they get older.

Hoffman plays an awkward young man to the hilt.

While the film captures the period, it is timeless in capturing youthful uncertainty.
April 19, 2017
At risk of sounding trite, The Graduate is like life: comedy and tragedy are rarely far apart. This choice to never stray far from either side of the theatrical mask is largely responsible for this classic's enduring appeal. However, it's far from its only success. Fans of Wes Anderson take notice: director Nichols edits and shoots with bold experimentation for this sort of dramedy; jump cutting in time, slow shifting camera focus, and long takes full of brilliant acting punctuate this fighting-to-come-of-age romance that flies past the conventions of its era to sit alongside the best that modern indie films offer.
Ben Braddock, a recent college graduate, returns home to find himself roped into an affair with older acquaintance Mrs. Robinson. We quickly realize that Ben is essentially a fish in an aquarium, with no control over any aspect of his life, as his dead-eyes blindly follow his parents, Mrs. Robinson, and society's expectations. Hoffman and Bancroft are of course phenomenal. Their characters couldn't be more different (Hoffman anxious and spineless, Bancroft cool and emotionally broken), yet they dance around each other with wit and uncomfortable believability. Tons of great moments and characters calmly ignite the screen, each filled with humor, awkwardness, and poignancy.
On top of being a fairly on-the-nose coming-of-age parable, the entire piece is a giant critique of anything and everything (coddled parenting, youthful cynicism, stodginess, frivolity, romance, attaining happiness, even the idea of ultimate purpose). It recognizes that making decisions, even wrong ones, is an important part of adulthood. Yet despite its skeptical view, warm characters and strict honesty have allowed it to age with as much grace as bite.
April 12, 2017
Great film about milfs
½ March 27, 2017
½ March 13, 2017
A good movie that is far from timeless. At release I'm sure it was top of the class; but nowadays, this one is in desperate need of a modern retake.
March 9, 2017
Watch for the performances. Dustin H knocks it out of the park, as well as how the film was shot. Simply beautiful.
March 1, 2017
A satire/drama that's deeply hysterical and insightful.
½ February 24, 2017
I know this movie is super important. I know it pioneered many techniques that I love in cinema. I know Dustin Hoffman delivers a great performance. But this movie is overwhelmingly messed up in a way that it's norms are just craazy gross. I cannot deal with the assumptions about what women are or what's valued, or whatever. Like Breakfast at Tiffany's, it simply cannot be enjoyed through a modern lens unless you take your brain out and throw it away.
½ February 21, 2017
Time did not do this movie any favors! Dustin Hoffman has been in better movies.
February 21, 2017
The Graduate is one of those classic films that puzzles me on why it is a classic. I suppose part of it might be a generational thing, but the plot doesn't really speak to me as someone who was born almost 10 years after it came out. For one thing Ben Braddock isn't a likable character, and he continually makes horrid decisions. I get frustrated with him instead of empathizing with him. Dustin Hoffman does well at playing the confused and aimless young man, but when he transitions into obsessive stalker mode I can't stand him. Anne Bancroft is supremely charming as the seductive Mrs. Robinson and she seems to be the only person in the movie with a brain. At every turn she is surrounded by clueless morons, and yet she knows everything that is happening (and often what will happen in the future.) I almost pity her more than anyone else in the film even though she's supposed to be sort of a villain. There's so much in The Graduate that I struggle identifying with, and not much of the humor is effective for me. I think I can see the elements that work for others, but the fact that it is a cultural touchpoint seems strange to me. It's a very straightforward plot that doesn't surprise all that much, and I struggle to find a single character I care about through the whole thing.
February 20, 2017
The Graduate is a captivating film. It is about a disillusioned college graduate who finds himself torn between his older lover and her daughter. Dustin Hoffman and Anne Bancroft give incredible performances. The screenplay is good but a little slow in places. Mike Nichols did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and the humor. The Graduate is a must see.
½ February 11, 2017
A uncanny, delightful romantic comedy.