The Graduate - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Graduate Reviews

July 9, 2017
Film-legend, iconic film of the 60s. Its ending is perfect. It wonderfully captures rebelliousness for the rebelliousness sake only. This film has so many memorable scenes and performances, the soundtrack is timeless.
June 2, 2017
A personal fav since it debuted, when all I liked was the moody music and couldn't understand what it was about excepting that a sense of loss permeated the work (but NOW I get it - because I grew up with it - and it'll always be a personal fav). Whatever may be wrong with the world, Benjamin decides that its better to face it with someone rather than face it alone.
May 26, 2017
With impeccable direction from Mike Nichols, The Graduate will certainly seduce you.
½ May 25, 2017
Brilliant comedy/drama about a college graduate (Dustin Hoffman) who becomes seduced by an older, more experienced, and married woman. Complicating matters further, he falls for her daughter. Soundtrack by Simon & Garfunkel features recordings that also compliment the action.
May 12, 2017
A timeless classic.

Most men who have seen this film find the affair unreal when young, with Mrs Robinson "old" ( even though Bancroft was only 35 at the time), and then more interesting as they get older.

Hoffman plays an awkward young man to the hilt.

While the film captures the period, it is timeless in capturing youthful uncertainty.
April 19, 2017
At risk of sounding trite, The Graduate is like life: comedy and tragedy are rarely far apart. This choice to never stray far from either side of the theatrical mask is largely responsible for this classic's enduring appeal. However, it's far from its only success. Fans of Wes Anderson take notice: director Nichols edits and shoots with bold experimentation for this sort of dramedy; jump cutting in time, slow shifting camera focus, and long takes full of brilliant acting punctuate this fighting-to-come-of-age romance that flies past the conventions of its era to sit alongside the best that modern indie films offer.
Ben Braddock, a recent college graduate, returns home to find himself roped into an affair with older acquaintance Mrs. Robinson. We quickly realize that Ben is essentially a fish in an aquarium, with no control over any aspect of his life, as his dead-eyes blindly follow his parents, Mrs. Robinson, and society's expectations. Hoffman and Bancroft are of course phenomenal. Their characters couldn't be more different (Hoffman anxious and spineless, Bancroft cool and emotionally broken), yet they dance around each other with wit and uncomfortable believability. Tons of great moments and characters calmly ignite the screen, each filled with humor, awkwardness, and poignancy.
On top of being a fairly on-the-nose coming-of-age parable, the entire piece is a giant critique of anything and everything (coddled parenting, youthful cynicism, stodginess, frivolity, romance, attaining happiness, even the idea of ultimate purpose). It recognizes that making decisions, even wrong ones, is an important part of adulthood. Yet despite its skeptical view, warm characters and strict honesty have allowed it to age with as much grace as bite.
April 12, 2017
Great film about milfs
½ March 27, 2017
½ March 13, 2017
A good movie that is far from timeless. At release I'm sure it was top of the class; but nowadays, this one is in desperate need of a modern retake.
March 9, 2017
Watch for the performances. Dustin H knocks it out of the park, as well as how the film was shot. Simply beautiful.
March 1, 2017
A satire/drama that's deeply hysterical and insightful.
½ February 24, 2017
I know this movie is super important. I know it pioneered many techniques that I love in cinema. I know Dustin Hoffman delivers a great performance. But this movie is overwhelmingly messed up in a way that it's norms are just craazy gross. I cannot deal with the assumptions about what women are or what's valued, or whatever. Like Breakfast at Tiffany's, it simply cannot be enjoyed through a modern lens unless you take your brain out and throw it away.
½ February 21, 2017
Time did not do this movie any favors! Dustin Hoffman has been in better movies.
February 21, 2017
The Graduate is one of those classic films that puzzles me on why it is a classic. I suppose part of it might be a generational thing, but the plot doesn't really speak to me as someone who was born almost 10 years after it came out. For one thing Ben Braddock isn't a likable character, and he continually makes horrid decisions. I get frustrated with him instead of empathizing with him. Dustin Hoffman does well at playing the confused and aimless young man, but when he transitions into obsessive stalker mode I can't stand him. Anne Bancroft is supremely charming as the seductive Mrs. Robinson and she seems to be the only person in the movie with a brain. At every turn she is surrounded by clueless morons, and yet she knows everything that is happening (and often what will happen in the future.) I almost pity her more than anyone else in the film even though she's supposed to be sort of a villain. There's so much in The Graduate that I struggle identifying with, and not much of the humor is effective for me. I think I can see the elements that work for others, but the fact that it is a cultural touchpoint seems strange to me. It's a very straightforward plot that doesn't surprise all that much, and I struggle to find a single character I care about through the whole thing.
February 20, 2017
The Graduate is a captivating film. It is about a disillusioned college graduate who finds himself torn between his older lover and her daughter. Dustin Hoffman and Anne Bancroft give incredible performances. The screenplay is good but a little slow in places. Mike Nichols did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and the humor. The Graduate is a must see.
½ February 11, 2017
A uncanny, delightful romantic comedy.
February 11, 2017
A beautifully shot portrayal of a socially awkward character haphazardly breaking free from social pressures.
January 29, 2017
Good romantic at the end but the beginning goes full fifty shades of grey starring a young Dustin Hoffman and some other random people that I have no clue who they are. The beginning of this movie was bad, well not bad bad but cheesy fifty shades of grey bad. I thought the entire 2 hours of this film would be Mrs Robinson seducing a young Dustin Hoffman and I didn't want that at all. I wanted a romantic movie to watch of a young Dustin Hoffman get pushed to the ground then gets back up to get the girl of his dreams Mrs Robinson's daughter. And that's what I liked so much about the other half of the movie, Dustin Hoffman getting the girl of his dreams, to me the part when he's banging on the glass and yelling eleanes name was gold and iconic. And the cliche that every romantic movie coming to be after the release of this movie will have to have something as crazy and ridiculous as this.
½ January 18, 2017
Biggest mid-movie nosedive ever.
November 15, 2016
It took me a long time to get around watching this movie and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. Almost none of the characters portrayed show any depth at all. And I'm not just talking about the caricatures of adults. Elaine Robinson is as volatile in her decisions as she is illogical. Why would she come to him without much negative feelings believing he raped her mother? And then believing him just like that? Furthermore, there is really no good reason for them to get married. They can hardly have had more than 3 meaningful conversations since the beginning of the movie. And for Benjamin, he's not so much in love, as he is obsessed with an idea of a person. The "post-college malaise" which is referred to in the Critics Consensus, is hardly explored deeper than the depth of the family pool when its actually the depth of an ocean, figuratively speaking. It also seems to be one of the main reasons for Benjamin to get married.
The one character of whom I really would have wanted to know more about is Mrs. Robinson. She shows a deep, life like persona which sucks the audience in. But also her character suffers at the end of the movie with forcing her daughter into a marriage alike hers for nor logical reason whatsoever.
The music from Simon & Garfunkel is timeless, no argument there.