Great Expectations - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Great Expectations Reviews

September 4, 2016
Not for me. Fell asleep..
September 1, 2016
Not a great movie; I understand the novel, appreciate the artistry and command of the story-and still managed to not enjoy it. This movie is the same way; the cinematography, music, acting and sets are all solid. Yet this movie founders. Move on; pick another flik. The names in this have done better.
July 14, 2016
Currently reading the novel
July 3, 2016
good version of this oft told Dickens' tale
May 23, 2016
By my unassisted self

The bad habit of living

When my baby intelligence was receiving the first distortions from my parents' wasting hands

What wind blows you here?

If I had turned myself upside down before drinking the wine could not have gone more direct to my head

Throughout life our worst weaknesses and meannesses are usually committed for the sake of the people whom we despise the most

When he subsides into affection he calls me Pip and when he relapses into politeness he calls me Sir

May I ask you a question?
Yes and I may decline to answer it. Put your question.

I never told you.
You have never told me when you have got your haircut but I have had the senses to perceive it

You hit the nail on the head

Moths and all sorts of ugly creatures hover about a lighted candle

At last the old woman and the niece came in - the latter with a head not easily distinguishable from her dusty broom

What can you do?
I can eat and drink... if you'll find the materials.

They may be of the same blood but, believe me, they are not of the same nature
March 11, 2016
points for a bit of originality and no dirty scenes
½ January 31, 2016
Ah, it's so hard to get a copy. Found one but which was Russian-dubbing... Done, nevertheless.
Well, no big difference from the other dozens of literary period drama BBC has made.
September 3, 2015
Enjoyable tale that takes audiences on an adventure through time
½ August 3, 2015
Excellent character moments bring to life Dickens' heartfelt, troubled friendships and romances. The contrived tangle of secrets, however, I found less than convincing and distracting. Overall, worth seeing and easy to so since it is on Netflix, but you may want to read the novel or see the classic film version if it's your first foray into this Dickensian forest of storytelling. .
½ June 25, 2015
A solid adaptation of the Dickens' classic with Ralph Fiennes claiming the best role as Magwitch.
June 12, 2015
Follows the book almost perfectly and the acting was good. Maybe should have been a three star but I was feeling generous. They did a good job with a classic
June 8, 2015
I quite enjoyed this, however my wife, who list the novel as one of her favourites, feels that this adaptation lacks in details, and doesn't represent a number of characters in the same way as she would have expected. For me it's at least made me aware of the classic story that has previously passed me by (aside from a South Park parody).
May 20, 2015
Easier than reading the book, but not nearly as enjoyable.
May 9, 2015
wow, classic treatment of how to cut a novel down to fit into a movie. very well acted. but it lacked the humor/satire that one could sense in the book.
½ March 1, 2015
A so-so rendition of Dickens, but Helena Bonham Carter is on fire!
February 24, 2015
I enjoyed this this film more than I had any other adaptation of Great Expectations. The casting was perfect hence the exquisite performances which were my favorite part. Overall a really good movie.
February 23, 2015
This was a wonderful movie! Really makes me want to reread the book.
February 9, 2015
A fine movie of one of Dickens novels in period England.
½ January 2, 2015
Felt like I was reading the book for the second time, there was nothing added to it.
½ November 1, 2014
Although visually amazing and with pretty good performances, there is still the feeling that there are so many things lacking in the film. Regardless, it delivers a good time.