The Great Santini Reviews

• Jul 15, 2020

Not great, but the central performance is really good.

Not great, but the central performance is really good.

• Jun 01, 2019

it's a good movie but it's a sort of coming-of-age thing where you see a boy become a man, and i just don't like em

• Jun 14, 2016

I love this movie - it's probably a 4 star movie but I saw it first as a kid so it gets a nostalgia star - lol.

• Apr 03, 2015

Just watched it for the first time because I never knew it existed!

Just watched it for the first time because I never knew it existed!

• Mar 01, 2015

Just a well done family melodrama with oscar worthy performances by O'Keefe and Duvall.

• Mar 01, 2015

Great introduction and story, but it unraveled at the end.

Great introduction and story, but it unraveled at the end.

• Feb 25, 2015

I'm actually very surprised at how much I loved this movie. Going into it I expected some military movie but it's actually a family drama. Robert Duvall is great but the knock out performances come from Blythe Danner and Michael O'Keefe. Lisa Jane Persky is a scene stellar as the young daughter and adds nice comedic moments to an often times dark movie. It's well written and directed and I can't speak more highly of this great film.

• Mar 21, 2014

The squadron used in the movie was mine when this was filmed - VMFA-312 Checkerboards. The aircraft was the F-4/J Phantom, some later modified to F-4/S. Their history goes back to WWII when in 1944 they formed as a fighter squadron with F4U Corsairs. There is a scene in the "ready room" with the real pilots and RIOs some of whom later died in their F-4s while practicing Air Combat Maneuvering. The funeral scene near the end of the movie took nearly all day to shoot because of weather but is just a few minutes in the movie. Robert Duvall is one of my favorite actors but the character Meechum (the squadron "Skipper") is pure baloney, the Corps would never allow anyone like that in their ranks. Hollywood can never get military right. Not that Marines couldn't be SOBs, some very much are. The movie is excellent otherwise but because Hollywood misused the role of the Skipper and portrayed him so unrealistically I can at best give this an average rating. Shame on Hollywood. They could have portrayed someone tough dealing with problems without resorting cheapness. Semper Fi.

John B Super Reviewer
    Oct 02, 2013

Duvall embodies cockiness to the nth degree as he sets unrealistic expectations for his offspring in living up to the greatness of Santini. It borders on annoying by the end but it is nonetheless a great character created.

• May 16, 2013

★★★ (out of four) "The Great Santini" is a difficult film to watch. The lead character, as played by Robert Duvall, is one of the most despicale and nasty characters I've ever seen on screen, and Duvall is almost too good at acting it. At first I wasn't sure if the director was trying to portray the character as a rebel and cooler than everyone, or if the opposite were true. As mentioned, Robert Duval is Bull Meacham, aka "The Great Santini". He is a decorated marine officer who bullies and fights with everyone around him. Add is excessive drinking to that and you have someone no one wants to be around. His family gets the brunt of his meaness, especially his oldest son Ben, played by Michael O'Keefe. Ben is pushed into everything and hates his father. One very poignant secene features a basketball game between the older and younger. When Ben wins, Bull can't handle it and becomes very confrontational. The film's strengths are the Oscar nominated performances from Robert Duvall and Michael O'Keefe. Blythe Danner also shines in a calming role as Bull's wife. The story isn't as revealing on the father and son relationship as I would have liked. The stories do veer off path, never getting told as deeply as it needed to be, however. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/Zeppo1/GreatSantini_zps14f93197.jpg[/IMG]