Grosse Pointe Blank - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Grosse Pointe Blank Reviews

April 30, 2018
A performance driven flick that knows how serious to take it.
½ February 24, 2018
It can be funny and enjoyable at times, but it seems predictable and lacks depth
February 17, 2018
The ending is anticlimactic but for the most part this movie is fun and has a great soundtrack.
½ January 30, 2018
Great enjoyable, perfectly played out movie.
January 21, 2018
I don't see movies twice very often. Of my favorite movies, I have seen each maybe 2 or 3 times. I have seen GPB over 20 times. Something about the plot, actor interactions (I love Cusak/Piven together) and the comedy in the midst of tragedy. The film has those moments where you are laughing and catching a dose of reality all in the same scene, Good music, acting and chemistry between actors. Love the film
January 3, 2018
This dark comedy is in something of a class by itself. Part nostalgia trip and part satire, it has some wonderful performances by Aykroyd and Cusack. The chemistry between Driver and Cusack is also fun to watch play out. The movie offers some memorable laughs and moments that only its tongue-in-cheek plot can provide.
October 3, 2017
nothing special here although there was a decent cast. the best thing was the soundtrack. it got better towards the end. it was ok
September 4, 2017
Thought it was an OK movie. Well acted.
August 27, 2017
Awesome film. Weird witty dialogue. Doesn't take itself too seriously.
July 29, 2017
Hard to believe John Cusack and Dan Akroid are hit men? Yeah, this is only the beginning. Whether it's attempting to be dark comedy with or just dark, it has no real heart and is a bit psychotic. Rating: 6.5/10
½ July 2, 2017
I admit I laughed a few times. However, mixing unresolved high school romance with hit man intrigue (that I frankly never quite believed) felt a little like oil and water.
½ May 4, 2017
An excellent rom com that will be a great shake up for date night. I liked how some think this is a say anything spiritual sequel.

"B-"
April 1, 2017
This is a fun little film about a hitman who is at that point where he's questioning his life. At the same time he receives an invite for his high school reunion. The idea of that premise is already great, and rife with potential. By casting John Cusack in the lead it also puts a fun spin because he has the experience with romantic high school films, quirky comedies, and some action movies.

I was surprised how much they committed to the romantic comedy stuff in some sections of the film. In fact it was almost like the movie broke down into sections that alternated between genres. It worked OK, but I think there was more comedy in the final act when we really see these worlds collide. That's when I was laughing and cheering and having the most fun.

Minnie Driver might have been the biggest misstep in Grosse Pointe Blank for me. I was so distracted by her attempts to sound American, it was a struggle. Also I have some trouble figuring out what emotion she's trying to convey in certain scenes. I could understand the bigger scenes where she's very angry or happy, but I can't read her quieter moments.

The entire movie mostly doesn't go aggressively for comedy. It's trying for more subtle laughs and to build humor just from the situations. I expected a little more farce and was hoping to laugh out loud more, but that doesn't mean it was a bad movie or that I didn't like it. My favorite moments were the ones between Cusack and his therapist played by Alan Arkin. I'll gladly watch Grosse Pointe Blank again, and I expect I'll probably like it more now that I know the tone.
March 24, 2017
Didn't find this overly special.
March 20, 2017
Great film. Great soundtrack. Cusack's best film & role.
½ March 4, 2017
One of my favorite John Cusack films
February 20, 2017
- I really enjoyed watching this one again. The writing is great, and I love John Cusack and Dan Aykroyd are hilarious, and Minnie Driver is very charming in this. An excellent black comedy well worth watching.

- Just watched this one again for the first time since it came out. It still holds up and as a smart, fun comedy. Cusack and Driver are excellent and Aykroyd is very funny. Give this one a try, and if you've already seen it, watch it again!
January 15, 2017
Good soundtrack and Cusack is always solid. But I never really understood the whole Minnie Driver thing and Dan Ackroyd does not make a good villain at all.
December 4, 2016
Grosse Pointe Blank is a fantastic film. It is about Martin Blank who is a professional assassin. John Cusack and Minnie Driver give amazing performances. The screenplay is good but a little slow in places. George Armitage did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the action. Grosse Pointe Blank is a must see.
½ November 16, 2016
Another 'cult classic' that I don't get...