Grosse Pointe Blank - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Grosse Pointe Blank Reviews

April 1, 2017
This is a fun little film about a hitman who is at that point where he's questioning his life. At the same time he receives an invite for his high school reunion. The idea of that premise is already great, and rife with potential. By casting John Cusack in the lead it also puts a fun spin because he has the experience with romantic high school films, quirky comedies, and some action movies.

I was surprised how much they committed to the romantic comedy stuff in some sections of the film. In fact it was almost like the movie broke down into sections that alternated between genres. It worked OK, but I think there was more comedy in the final act when we really see these worlds collide. That's when I was laughing and cheering and having the most fun.

Minnie Driver might have been the biggest misstep in Grosse Pointe Blank for me. I was so distracted by her attempts to sound American, it was a struggle. Also I have some trouble figuring out what emotion she's trying to convey in certain scenes. I could understand the bigger scenes where she's very angry or happy, but I can't read her quieter moments.

The entire movie mostly doesn't go aggressively for comedy. It's trying for more subtle laughs and to build humor just from the situations. I expected a little more farce and was hoping to laugh out loud more, but that doesn't mean it was a bad movie or that I didn't like it. My favorite moments were the ones between Cusack and his therapist played by Alan Arkin. I'll gladly watch Grosse Pointe Blank again, and I expect I'll probably like it more now that I know the tone.
March 24, 2017
Didn't find this overly special.
March 20, 2017
Great film. Great soundtrack. Cusack's best film & role.
½ March 4, 2017
One of my favorite John Cusack films
February 20, 2017
- I really enjoyed watching this one again. The writing is great, and I love John Cusack and Dan Aykroyd are hilarious, and Minnie Driver is very charming in this. An excellent black comedy well worth watching.

- Just watched this one again for the first time since it came out. It still holds up and as a smart, fun comedy. Cusack and Driver are excellent and Aykroyd is very funny. Give this one a try, and if you've already seen it, watch it again!
January 15, 2017
Good soundtrack and Cusack is always solid. But I never really understood the whole Minnie Driver thing and Dan Ackroyd does not make a good villain at all.
December 4, 2016
Grosse Pointe Blank is a fantastic film. It is about Martin Blank who is a professional assassin. John Cusack and Minnie Driver give amazing performances. The screenplay is good but a little slow in places. George Armitage did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the action. Grosse Pointe Blank is a must see.
½ November 16, 2016
Another 'cult classic' that I don't get...
July 3, 2016
Very surprising! I had never heard of it, but I had nothing to do and I decided to give it a shot. The first scene in which Martin is to his therapist is incredibly funny. A true shot of the John Cusack I like, not the one who acts in stupid films with nothing to say.
May 26, 2016
Love this movie. Popcorn!
March 8, 2016
A good time at the movies in this fantasy where a hit man goes home to his 10 year high school reunion and the girl he left behind. Nothing serious here, just a fun date movie with loads of danceable 80's songs as well as shootouts wherein the characters insult each other while trying to kill the other: always fun.
½ January 28, 2016
Re-watched upon the occasion of upgrading to the Blu-ray that I bitched about wanting below! My only sadness is that's it's still just basically the film and no real features. Oh well.

My initial capsule feelings:

This is possibly one of my favorite films, starring an actor I love opposite an actress I think is super-hot, especially in this era of her career, so what I really wanna know after a recent re-watch is: Where the hell is my special edition Blu-ray of this one?

It's a cute, fun movie that doesn't feel as dated as it could, given the time frame in which it was released, and I think most folks will enjoy this unless they insist on having weird hang-ups about a killer who finds easy redemption with the right girl.

Recommended.
½ November 26, 2015
Cusack at the height of his powers and great soundtrack......
October 16, 2015
this movie is hilarious! I really enjoyed this movie. Minnie Driver and John Cusack make a great team! also was fun seeing Joan Cusack in this! I enjoyed every minute of this!
October 5, 2015
Easily near the top of my list of favourite John Cusack movies. WHY did it take me so long to see this??
½ September 23, 2015
This hits me right in the feels. Cheesy but nuanced, redemption romance ...with a bit of killer for hire, comedy. I've watched it again and again, and I still love it. Mini Driver's performance is outstanding. If you grew up or out of the 80's, this is especially for you.
½ September 16, 2015
John Cusack is so appealing when wearing his drolly snarky persona that it only seems like an inexorability that his very presence enhances the likability of a film. 1997's "Grosse Pointe Blank", a black romantic comedy, finds him at his tenable prime, his subversively charismatic fašade interweaving with the contemptuously humorous makings of the film with simple dexterity. In it, he portrays Martin Blank, a hitman tiring of the monotonous butchery he faces on a day to day basis. Though in his late-'20s, he has become one of the top assassins in his profession; he is only really rivaled by Mr. Grocer (Dan Aykroyd), a middle-aged legend with a bad habit of stealing jobs right out from under Martin's nose.
But all the Tom & Jerry antics are growing old, and, after much contemplation, Martin hesitantly decides to go back to his hometown of Grosse Pointe, MI for his ten-year high school reunion. While there, he hopes to rekindle his romantic relationship with Debi (Minnie Driver), the girl he left behind (and stood up for prom), and start life anew. But making major life changes is no easy task for someone who kills for a living - so it's no surprise that Mr. Grocer and a pair of government agents (Hank Azaria and K. Todd Freeman) follow Martin to the small Michigan town planning for the worst.
One might expect "Grosse Pointe Blank" to be a severely dark comedy - what film dares to have their central character both be a gun-for-hire and a romantic lead? - but it is, peculiarly, tender and genially witty, would-be fizzy entertainment if not for all the, ahem, dead bodies. The murky angles of the film seems like quaint little drawbacks instead of reminders of black-hearted instincts; there are times where we forget that our hero has favored guns over an emotional connection for nearly his entire life. "Grosse Pointe Blank" is just too charming to be overtly sadistic.
Much of this can be indebted to the chemistry between Cusack and Driver, who were born to play opposite each other. Paralleling are their attractive but not movie star attractive good looks, their distinctly intelligent personality types. It doesn't feel as though they're going through the motions of a characterization, rather playing themselves and enjoying each other's company - whether it's all stupendously configured movie fakery I can hardly tell; their quick-witted repartee glides by with the smoothness of Uma Thurman and John Travolta passing the time over milkshakes and twist contests. The romantic relationship doesn't feel forced simply because Cusack and Driver seem too slick to give their soul to someone else anyway. Feelings come as a surprise to them, and "Grosse Pointe Blank" flourishes on that naturalness.
Also making memorable appearances are Joan Cusack, as Martin's capricious secretary, Jeremy Piven as the bored high school buddy, and Alan Arkin as the endlessly terrified therapist. "Grosse Pointe Blank" is a highlight among the '90s stewing of comedy, and, thanks to Cusack and company's sharp screenplay, the dialogue stings as much as it warms the heart. It's a rare case of black comedy gone gold.
September 10, 2015
Martin Blank is a professional assassin. He is sent on a mission to a small Detroit suburb, Grosse Pointe, and, by coincidence, his ten-year high school reunion party is taking place there at the same time.
A film I hold with great nostalgia and it completely stands up to the test of time.
Lloyd Dobler can say anything (whatevs). to me John Cusack will always be Martin Blank and this is the paramount to both Cusack and Driver's career bests. great on screen couple. One of the best.
Great film. So quotable. A cast of characters you love. chemistry central. John and Joan Cusack is brilliant. Damn that lady can own a film from a supporting part.
This is just one of those films for me that if you don't like it, you get a free punch in the face.
July 30, 2015
Is it just me, or does John Cusack play the same annoying, uninspiring loser in every film? This time 'round he's supposed to be a hitman, truly unbelievable. But then again this is supposed to be a comedy. Even with the class of Minnie Driver, the wit of Dan Aykroyd and the presence of Hank Azaria, it's not enough to freshen the foulness of this cliche' 90s flick, that should simply just stay there and never show it's face in the 21st century.
July 25, 2015