Groundhog Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Groundhog Day Reviews

December 15, 2017
The crown jewel of Bill Murray's comedy. High-concept comedy masterpiece.
November 26, 2017
Way better than Before I Fall.
October 20, 2017
An absolute masterpiece. Why is such brilliance so rare these days?
October 19, 2017
This is still one of my favorite movies. A classic film that created a new meaning to "Groundhog Day."
½ October 13, 2017
Only cuz it?s a classic
September 29, 2017
Quite funny. Plots were far better than the recent mivie Before I Fall.
August 18, 2017
A perfect movie. Lots of laughs, some tears. Extremely well done.
½ August 10, 2017
Only Bill Murray could've handled the mad concept of Groundhog Day as well as he did, the brilliant concept and theories behind the film drive the force of the picture. Murray's dry, sarcastic wit and deadpan delivery perfectly counteract the Punxsatawney residents who flit with small-town comedic absent-mindedness. Andie MacDowell meanwhile perfectly counteracts Murray's dryness with warming optimism and brilliant capabilities in her delivery. The soundtrack is also great, but really makes me never want to hear "I Got You, Babe" ever again. The film serves as a great satire of the 9 to 5 grind and a wanting to escape from the grind of working life. A film to watch again and again and again and again and again...
½ July 27, 2017
Is it snowing in space?
July 21, 2017
I watch it every Groundhog Day like I've never seen it before, it has that ironic ability.
½ June 25, 2017
An amazingly original, clever film that combines Bill Murray's excellent acting with clever writing. One of the most intelligent comedies of all time, Groundhog Day satisfies and exceeds expectations.
May 14, 2017
This is one of those films that plays in the background during holidays you never really watch properly. Having actually watched it now I can see why it has become a classic film. Some good jokes and the film addresses what would go through everyone's minds if they had the chance to live without consequences. My main criticism is that the film rushes to the repetition and then plays on this fir the rest of the 90 minute run time. It felt like it could have been a good 20 minutes shorter. I also didn't like how there was no real explanation over why Phil was repeating the same day over and over, it just seemed to be happening and yo me this made the moral at the end less clear/impactful.
April 16, 2017
Renown as quite the 90's Classic, this was one I'd always heard about but never had the pleasure of seeing. I fully understood the concept but was dubious as to how this might be portrayed to make it compelling viewing. Whether I had already made my mind up about this before witnessing it, I didn't actually find it an unmissable watch. Of course I thought it was clever and the producers set themselves a real challenge in ensuring they replicated several scenes in the same manner. However, when you know what's coming it maybe didn't have the same visual impact. For me, it was like living the same moments over and over again with only a slight variation on the ending in some of them - sometimes he'd fall asleep, sometimes he'd get arrested, sometimes he'd have a drunken one night stand, and sometimes he'd even commit suicide. Regardless though, it always took us back to the same morning so like Bill Pulman, I started to find the routine a tad monotonous. Why the cycle would suddenly end when he finally does something righteous, I don't know, but I guess it fits with the fantasy type theming of this movie. I know it was primed at being romantic and comical but it didn't really grip me that hard on those elements - I was mainly just glued to see what he did actually do to break the cycle. I can't honestly say that I saw what gave this film a real name for itself back in the day, but nevertheless it was still something a bit different. I think it showcased various elements of what one would do if faced with such a situation; abusing the privileges before slowly succumbing to the depression it would cause. Had it gone on much longer, I think I would have felt the same - Enjoyed it at first, but the repetition soon led to boredom creeping in.
½ April 4, 2017
I was interested in seeing this film because I was curious what they were going to do with its plot. There is a lot you can do with a plot like this and I was interested to know which directions the movie was going to go in. I was very proud of the angle the movie went in. After watching it, I can safely say that it is one of the best comedies from the past 25-30 years.

A weatherman finds himself living the same day, Groundhog Day, over and over again. He is the only one who seems to know that it is happening. After he adjusts to it, he tries different things such as finding a love interest, meeting new people, doing illegal activities, helping out people, and trying to figure out how to stop it from going on.

Instances he encounters on that day which keeps on getting repeated include: meeting a friendly former classmate who is trying to sell him insurance, doing a news report on the event of the "Groundhog Day" which he finds to be stupid and pointless, and experiencing a snow blizzard which traps him in a town. He is also very rude to his co-workers: Rita and Larry. He dislikes his job, his colleagues, and himself most of all.

However, he learns that in order for the event to stop: he may have to change his normal way of life. Over the course of the days, he discovers his love for Rita and his desire to be with her. He also learns to be more kind to other people and he gets to know and help out people around town that he wouldn't have been introduced to had the events in the film had never have taken place. The event makes him learn to love himself and others. It's a very interesting idea a film could use for representing a change in a characters personality.

Another great thing in the film is that it leaves the reason for the day's constant repetition ambiguous. It leaves it up to the viewer to decide why that happened to him. It makes the viewer wonder if there was an entity or something else that was doing this to him in hopes of having him change his life and personality around. I can understand why someone wouldn't like this, but I didn't mind it because it gave the film sort of an alien or other-worldly feel to it. That's not to say that the movie didn't have one to begin with, but the ambiguity increased it.

Phil's character development in the movie is very convincing and realistic because we can easily believe that the situation would make him react the way he does. There are dark periods in the film when he endangers his life, does illegal activities, and tries to commit suicide. There are also reckless periods in the film when he tries weird and foolish things he wouldn't normally try. Finally, there are some happy periods in the film when he tries to improve on his life and personality. It makes sense that he would try different things because since he doesn't know anything about the situation: There is no way for him to know how to stop it from happening and whether or not he's supposed to do something. Since he loves Rita, the only way he can impress her is by actually changing instead of faking it. At one point in the movie, Rita says that egocentricity is one of his "defining characteristics". He doesn't stop being egocentric at the end. He just learns to use it in a positive direction.

One of the other great things about this film is Bill Murray's terrific acting. I can't think of any actor who would've performed the role better than Bill Murray did. He proved to us that he's not only able to show dramatic depth, but he is also able to combine a comedic and serious side all into the same character. I think that his role here is his best performance yet.

The only thing I didn't like about it is that I wished it was funnier. Of course, there were only a couple points in the film when it made me laugh. However, even the jokes that I did laugh at weren't super creative or that well-written. However, this is my only complaint for the film and nothing else really bugged me about it.

In conclusion, this could've just been a good movie, but the fantastic choice of turning it into a character study makes it something special. His character development was interesting and convincing and it was handled very well in the movie. The feeling of ambiguity and Bill Murray's incredible acting also helped to carry this movie. Even though it was light on comedy, this is still an amazing comedy film which ranks up there with some of the very best of the genre.
March 27, 2017
I can not find a single thing wrong with this Bill Murray classic. With a hilarious story, great characters, and stupendous jokes. This is one of the greats.
March 20, 2017
Very funny, Bill Murray at his best.
½ March 20, 2017
Bill Murray holds together this original plot by Harold Ramis. What starts off as a comedy slowly has a romantic element titrated in, so that all audiences can watch and enjoy Phil (Bill Murray) learn selflessness, community and what's important in life.
March 20, 2017
It's a sweet warm film and it's a storyline and message but sadly i felt the film in general and the humour was a little old-fashion, although Bill Murray did play his part really well. can't help be very it could be so much better.
½ March 12, 2017
A classic! Murray's best by far. Original and well executed, it still makes me laugh too.
February 23, 2017
This is a classic featuring an unbelievably charming performance from Bill Murray. The story line is great in spite of a few cliches and some weaker performances, but the movie is funny, well-filmed and Bill Murray's performance makes the movie.