Groundhog Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Groundhog Day Reviews

March 14, 2018
Clever, smart and funny, but also ironicly repetative and long
March 3, 2018
there wasn't one today..

Groundhog Day

Even though the premise had the potential and sometimes it does wander off on dark tracks the maker picks the smart approach on narrowing down the complexity to light and breezy tone that is mildly soothing and satisfying. Harold Ramis could have done some better work in it along with editing the screenplay a bit tighter too; around 90 minutes would have been adequate. Bill Murray is excellent as the protagonist in this fantasy and he pulls it off all alone in his shoulder with head held high and doing some of his career's finest work. Groundhog Day is a beautiful feature that explores the innocence and priorities of human nature by projecting some dark and practical work on screen that is supported by stellar performances.
½ February 25, 2018
Comédia com fluxo temporal, muito bom!
February 24, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
½ February 9, 2018
A great comedy that really gets one thinking about how you would relive a day, or 50.
½ February 4, 2018
No, this movie is not dark or sad or realistic. It isn't about war. But it manages to be an excellent movie none the less. One of the many gems of the 90s. This is Bill Murray at his sweetest. The story was a risky one but was handled perfectly. Only this movie can make the February 2nd over and over again enjoyable.
February 2, 2018
One of my all-time favorites!
February 2, 2018
A funny, touching, and original movie with a great performance by Bill Murray.
February 2, 2018
I love this movie. period, end of story.
½ February 1, 2018
A wonderful classic movie with a great message to its audience and great acting. Even though the plot progression may seem a bit predictable, you're still feeling the main character's relief by the movie's conclusion.
½ January 24, 2018
The great idea behind it, the comedy, the best Murray, the deep meaning behind it all... so many reasons to love this movie!
½ January 19, 2018
Story about a self centered jerk who is forced to repeat the same day over and over again forever. Bill Murray really comes into his own here and proved he isn't just a comic actor. Andie McDowell does a good job and I usually can't stand her. One of my favorite movies.
January 7, 2018
A well-written movie where Phil (our hero) carves out his recursive day and follows through on some ideas and things I would've done myself. The way his repeats are presented leave him open for interpretation.
½ January 4, 2018
In a film that relies on the premise of a man reliving the same day over and over, it would be easy for Groundhog Day to fail due to monotony. However, not only are there a number of things happening during the course of Phil Connors' (Bill Murray) day, the success of the film comes from Phil's countless attempt to perfect those things. From ice sculpting to having a fling, I looked at Phil's day-to-day as less of striving for perfection and more of a long blooper reel. You'll crack up as Phil makes mental notes aloud of something he needs to correct. It's especially funny watching the reaction of those around him who he's spent a lifetime of days getting to know, yet they have no idea who he is. They feel like they should know him just as well, yet their facial expressions clearly indicate they don't. The devil is fully in the details.

Yes, Phil Connors, famous weatherman, is reliving the same Groundhog Day over and over again in a town that he hates. His ensuing failures and successes of handling the same day repeatedly give you multiple reasons to laugh repeatedly. Unlike a number of comedies, the film is a great on a number of levels, layered with both solid character development and a heartwarming message. Self-centered Phil learns the importance of what it means to live each day to the fullest. Of course it doesn't hit him right away, but I imagine we would react similarly if put in his shoes. Phil experiences a gauntlet of emotions including disbelief, despair, relief, and invigoration.

And that's exactly where its power lies. While it's a film with a premise mired in fantasy, Groundhog Day fully and completely represents our realities as human beings and how we choose to shape those realities. Classic film. I give it a 90.
½ January 3, 2018
With a great balance between devilish glee and heartfelt sincerity from Bill Murray, Groundhog Day offers an easily digestible tale that creates a charm of its own, even if some of the middle section of the story isn't the most beliveable or understandable.
December 28, 2017
Something keeps nagging at me about Groundhog Day, this week's classic on the Everyone is a Critic Movie Podcast. I like the movie but something about Groundhog Day seems to bring out my inner pedant. Whether it's the questionable timeline, the questionable motivation for those many timelines or something in the manner of Bill Murray's slightly awkward performance, I can't seem to embrace the film as fully as so many others have.

Groundhog Day stars Bill Murray as Phil Connors, a narcissistic Pittsburgh weather man who is tasked with traveling to Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania for that yearly tradition of Groundhog Day. Punxsutawney has become famous for its Groundhog Festival at which the titular rodent, known around town as Phil, is pulled from his fake abode to announce whether he sees his shadow. The notion is that if the groundhog can see his shadow there will be six more weeks of winter.
December 28, 2017
An absolute classic due to its novel premise, 'Groundhog Day' is utterly charming, with a relateable cast and exaggerated yet magnetic character development. Points for not rewarding the creepy stalker behaviour, too!
½ December 18, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Grounghog Day te llega a atrapar tanto como el protagonista en el tiempo, aparte de una entretenida, divertida, original y creativa historia que te hará pasar 100 fantásticos minutos.
December 15, 2017
The crown jewel of Bill Murray's comedy. High-concept comedy masterpiece.
November 26, 2017
Way better than Before I Fall.