Groundhog Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Groundhog Day Reviews

½ December 7, 2016
I believe no movie is perfect but Groundhog day comes close. This is my all time favorite movie watch it if haven't before.
December 1, 2016
Holiday based movies are nothing new. There's a seemingly endless supply of Christmas and Halloween movies. Thanksgiving has a select few quality entries. Valentine's Day has all kinds of romance movies. There's plenty of war movies fitting for Veteran's Day, even. But who would have thought that one of the most delightful holiday based movies would be based around one of the most seemingly insignificant holidays of the year: Groundhog Day?

Harold Ramis has crafted a surprisingly beautiful and touching film here, a poignant portrait of existentialism and life itself that hits pretty hard for a movie that seems to be first and foremost a comedy. The comedy genius himself, Bill Murray, delivers what he does best - dry goofball humor - but also brings plenty of dramatic, and even rather dark, moments that really prove the duality he is capable of bringing. Murray really sells you on his character, starting out as a cynical and arrogant weather reporter who learns more about himself as he lives the same day over and over. It's ultimately a story of a man discovering his own humanity, and Ramis tells it with enough heart and charm that makes it an endlessly rewatchable classic. How fitting.
November 7, 2016
No issue with suspending disbelief with this original, wacky, romantic comedy. Both Bill Murray's and Andie MacDowell's best work IMHO.
October 17, 2016
Comedy film masterpiece with absolutely astounding screenplay and performance from Bill Murray. A film with genuine message.
October 11, 2016
Another movie that shaped how I view stories. This is an example of a simple, creative premise executed perfectly. Not only that, it's executed with purpose and theme in mind. I think the one thing they could have done to completely ruin this movie is explain why he's looping the same day over and over, but they never do it. I read somewhere that in the first draft he was going to be cursed by a witch in order to start the cycle, and that would have completely ruined this movie. It doesn't matter what's causing his to loop, so the movie doesn't address it. I think that's brilliant.
½ September 25, 2016
Excruciating to watch, but so rewatchable at the same time. Murray's deadpan humour suits this romantic comedy.
August 27, 2016
Loved it.. what a great feel-good movie.. :)
August 26, 2016
One of the best movies I've seen.
This classic inspired so many other good movies. An AMAZING idea INCREDIBLY put together with perfect acting, and a strong story.
Its hard to find ANYTHING wrong with this movie. Then you realize that there isn't anything wrong with this movie. Its one of those movies that are just perfect.
A must-see masterpiece.
August 21, 2016
Ironically, you can watch this movie over and over again. ;)
August 20, 2016
What would you do if you were to live a random day over and over again? Groundhog Day anwers this question quite accurately for Phil Connors.
½ August 9, 2016
One of the best movie ever made! Truly a classic! This movie makes you laugh,sad, and sometimes gets crazy with the story and the performance by the fellow actors!
August 7, 2016
Murray is one of my favorite actors
½ August 6, 2016
Sometimes you'll feel stuck in an endless loop until the movie switches into a funnier, warmer and heartful direction and you realize how much fun Murray's movies were back in the day. It will bring joy and make you think about everyday interactions, but most of all make you work as a person because time isn't timeless.
½ July 30, 2016
What a great surprise this was!
July 24, 2016
Didn't I just review this movie?
July 19, 2016
I was interested in seeing this film because I was curious what they were going to do with its plot. There is a lot you can do with a plot like this and I was interested to know which directions the movie was going to go in. I was very proud of the angle the movie went in. After watching it, I can safely say that it is one of the best comedies from the past 25-30 years.

A weatherman finds himself living the same day, Groundhog Day, over and over again. He is the only one who seems to know that it is happening. After he adjusts to it, he tries different things such as finding a love interest, meeting new people, doing illegal activities, helping out people, and trying to figure out how to stop it from going on.

Instances he encounters on that day which keeps on getting repeated include: meeting a friendly former classmate who is trying to sell him insurance, doing a news report on the event of the "Groundhog Day" which he finds to be stupid and pointless, and experiencing a snow blizzard which traps him in a town. He is also very rude to his co-workers: Rita and Larry. He dislikes his job, his colleagues, and himself most of all.

However, he learns that in order for the event to stop: he may have to change his normal way of life. Over the course of the days, he discovers his love for Rita and his desire to be with her. He also learns to be more kind to other people and he gets to know and help out people around town that he wouldn't have been introduced to had the events in the film had never have taken place. The event makes him learn to love himself and others. It's a very interesting idea a film could use for representing a change in a characters personality.

Another great thing in the film is that it leaves the reason for the day's constant repetition ambiguous. It leaves it up to the viewer to decide why that happened to him. It makes the viewer wonder if there was an entity or something else that was doing this to him in hopes of having him change his life and personality around. I can understand why someone wouldn't like this, but I didn't mind it because it gave the film sort of an alien or other-worldly feel to it. That's not to say that the movie didn't have one to begin with, but the ambiguity increased it.

Phil's character development in the movie is very convincing and realistic because we can easily believe that the situation would make him react the way he does. There are dark periods in the film when he endangers his life, does illegal activities, and tries to commit suicide. There are also reckless periods in the film when he tries weird and foolish things he wouldn't normally try. Finally, there are some happy periods in the film when he tries to improve on his life and personality. It makes sense that he would try different things because since he doesn't know anything about the situation: There is no way for him to know how to stop it from happening and whether or not he's supposed to do something. Since he loves Rita, the only way he can impress her is by actually changing instead of faking it. At one point in the movie, Rita says that egocentricity is one of his "defining characteristics". He doesn't stop being egocentric at the end. He just learns to use it in a positive direction.

One of the other great things about this film is Bill Murray's terrific acting. I can't think of any actor who would've performed the role better than Bill Murray did. He proved to us that he's not only able to show dramatic depth, but he is also able to combine a comedic and serious side all into the same character. I think that his role here is his best performance yet.

The only thing I didn't like about it is that I wished it was funnier. Of course, there were only a couple points in the film when it made me laugh. However, even the jokes that I did laugh at weren't super creative or that well-written. However, this is my only complaint for the film and nothing else really bugged me about it.

In conclusion, this could've just been a good movie, but the fantastic choice of turning it into a character study makes it something special. His character development was interesting and convincing and it was handled very well in the movie. The feeling of ambiguity and Bill Murray's incredible acting also helped to carry this movie. Even though it was light on comedy, this is still an amazing comedy film which ranks up there with some of the very best of the genre.
½ July 18, 2016
Bill Murray at his best!
July 14, 2016
Groundhog Day is an exploration of an intriguing idea. It isn't an aesthetic experiment or a thrilling adventure. It actually looks fairly average and hum drum. Bill is stuck in small, dinky town on an overcast day and the cast is fairly average looking. The brilliance of the film is rooted in its original story, that the narcissistic weatherman Phil Connors is stuck living the same day over and over again with no foreseeable end. It is fascinating to watch as Phil slowly discovers his predicament, indulges in debauchery, descends into desperation and in the end, learns to be a better man and care about other people. It is even cooler that it's Bill Murray. This is a fantastic display of his dramatic range and deadpan comedic talent. It's a sweet story, but it isn't wholesome. There's drinking, sex, swearing, off color comments and some awkward exchanges. Groundhog isn't perfect, but it also succeeds on the fact that it was consistently engaging and the film was edited brilliantly. The "same-day" concept was understood, but not tedious. It is a modest, but entirely interesting exploration of human nature and humor.
½ July 11, 2016
I generally don't like Bill Murray and am not a fan of most of his movies (sorry!), but I do like this one. The scenes where he wakes up everyday to that Sonny and Cher song and goes crazy and his reactions are the best parts of the movie and are genuinely funny. The character development of how Murray is a grouch at the beginning of the movie and how he transitions into a more caring character is interesting. I don't know.. how the movie slowly but surely transitioned into a 'rom com' really, really bugged me. The movie shouldn't have been how he got together with Andie MacDowell (whose I personally couldn't stand). It deserved better.
July 9, 2016
Has to be amongst the greatest movies ever made. Perfect casting throughout, top notch writing and performances, a heartwarming comedy set in the longest of winters!