Grown Ups 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Grown Ups 2 Reviews

November 26, 2017
I could not not stop ROFLMAOING during this movie
½ October 15, 2017
A sequel to a comedy that doesn't improve much, rather it stays just as funny if not even less humorous.
September 18, 2017
Adam Sandler on point!
½ September 18, 2017
Wish I could give this 0 stars. No storyline, just a load of (unfunny) bits all put together.
September 9, 2017
Grown Ups 2 is just ok. It's more or less the same as the first movie. Again I really like the actors in this movie. They all have good talent but it seems like it was wasted on this movie. There were some funny scenes but not enough of them. The poop and slapstick don't count because that wasn't really funny. Another problem I had with this movie was that there wasn't really a plot. There was no backbone to this movie at all. It was just grown Ups acting like idiots. Overall I don't think this is the worst comedy I've ever seen but Grown Ups 2 should just be left alone. I wouldn't really bother watching it. But if someone asked me if I wanted to watch both of the movies, I wouldn't really mind watching them. They both aren't super bad. C-
September 9, 2017
So the grownups are back but this time it is different but hay I still have my 2 favorite actors Adam Sandler and Kevin James!
September 2, 2017
It's not Chekhov, it's a Sandler movie. Turn your brain off and laugh at all the funny SNL alums. The cheerleader car wash with the Lonely Island Guys. Shack as a balding cop. The 80's party... enjoy it.
September 2, 2017
GROWN UPS 2 is tacky, disgusting, juvenile, cliched, poorly made, unambiitous and ridiculously, ridiculously dumb. I will admit- I did laugh a bit- but this is a movie for people who just don't care, idiots or both.
½ August 30, 2017
Didn't really have a plot but it was still funny
½ August 25, 2017
Extreme let down from start to finish. Acting is lazy and not funny at all. Waste of good actors and a complete waste of money. ????
August 17, 2017
GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Well, Scott, it s time to review Grown Ups 2. [SPOILER ALERT- some important details of the movie are revealed]

SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Not sure there were any grown ups involved in the making of this movie, but let s proceed. [Thats not the spoiler, but I could be wrong]

GREG: It s summertime and the last day of school in Adam Sandler s latest home movie. Sandler plays Lenny Feder, a man who has moved his family back to his Jersey hometown. And by some turn of logic, all his buddies have moved there with their families too. Apparently in the prequel, Feder made enough money in Hollywood to afford such a thing. Anyway the opening scene treats us to a preview of what is to come. A deer is loose in Feder s house and when his wife Roxanne (Salma Hayek) screams, the deer whizzes all over him and runs away, waking the rest of the household.

SCOTT: The old gang from the first Grown Ups movie re-assembles -- Lenny, Eric (Kevin James), Kurt (Chris Rock), and Marcus (David Spade). They discover that their kids are growing up faster than they realize. They attempt to re-live their teen years by jumping into a lake off a large cliff, but members of a college fraternity intercept them and humiliate them. The rest of the film involves our heroes, if you can call them that, dealing with each other s issues, their kids issues, and the hostile frat boys.

GREG: This is just an excuse for Adam Sandler to have fun with his friends with the camera rolling. The truly sad thing is that he ll probably make a tidy profit and there will be a sequel. Sandler s character plays the most well-adjusted of the troupe. His buddy Eric is a mamas boy and is in dutch with his hot wife (Maria Bello) for watching soaps with mama (mama is played by the still adorable Georgia Engel). Kurt has figured out that he has infinite Get Out of Jail cards with his hot wife (Maya Rudolph) because he remembered their 20th anniversary and she forgot. And in an unfathomable twist, Marcus is the town s lady s man getting bootie from every single woman in town. His other quirk is that his nearly grown son has arrived and is a bruiser and hates his father.

SCOTT: Greg, this movie is somewhat painful to watch. There are a lot of talented people involved in the making of this film, but it s talent all gone to waste. I know a lot of people will disagree, but Adam Sandler can be funny. And he can shine in serious roles, too (e.g., Spanglish). Chris Rock can rock, and many former Saturday Night Live luminaries who are bursting with talent make appearances here. But it s all squandered in Grown Ups 2, a movie that took 2 hours from my life that Ill never get back. I enjoy bathroom humor as much as the next guy, but much of this potty humor isn t very funny. This film is packed with jokes, but only about one out of eight jokes is funny. The other seven ranged from unfunny to painfully unfunny. And when the bad jokes aren t flying, there are plenty of visual gags to offend us, most of them involving urine stains, projectile vomiting, and bulging male crotches. The film s number one running gag, repeated so many times that I did indeed want to gag, involved people performing three bodily functions at once. Need I say more?

GREG: Oh, you mean the simultaneous burp-fart-sneeze? Hilarious.

SCOTT: Greg, you gave away the burp-fart-sneeze running gag, meaning that our readers now have absolutely no reason to see this movie. I withheld that crucial information but now the cat and its litter box is out of the bag.

GREG: Sorry. I ll add a spoiler alert to the heading of the review. The underlying theme of this movie is that our heroes are growing old. The college kids are young, energetic, nubile and on the warpath because they are of the misapprehension that the old guys trashed their fraternity house (what are these college kids doing in town anyway - it s summer.) This is the thinnest of plots - present here to give the film its only sense of coherence. Every scene was just a throw-away one-liner and the only passably funny scenes are already in the trailer. To his credit, Sandler continued the tradition of situation comedies: ugly fat men married to funny hot women. It s a tradition that goes back to Jackie Gleason and The Honeymooners. As you mentioned Scott, the list of SNL alum is long and luminous: Maya Rudolph, Colin Quinn, Tim Meadows, John Lovitz, Cheri Otari, and Andy Samberg as well as Shaquille O Neal and Steve Buscemi.

SCOTT: Indeed. Grown Ups 2 is a vacuous movie that may be funny to 13-year-old boys but only if those boys have a truly lousy sense of humor. I considered giving this film zero Reels, which would condemn it to our Reel Heroes Hall of Shame, but then I remembered just how truly atrocious The Big Wedding was. At least Grown Ups 2 doesn t take itself seriously. So I award Grown Ups 2 a big whopping single Reel. And a single Hero out of 5 as well. Movie: Hero:

GREG: Agreed. It is only by comparison that this movie is not a complete failure. Sandler s plot, such as it is, barely holds together and his comedy skills are evident albeit applied lazily. I also award 1 Reel and 1 Hero. And as a bonus, Scott, I award you one Get Out of Jail Free card so that you can skip the sequel. Movie: Hero:

SCOTT: Greg, I ll gladly take the card over the suicide pill I was going to take instead. Thank you.
August 2, 2017
As great as the first.
½ July 31, 2017
If you think a deer urinating in Adam Sandler's mouth is funny, then you'll love this film.
June 24, 2017
This was an okay movie.
June 11, 2017
There was no effort in the making of this film and it shows
½ June 8, 2017
Come on Adam Sandler, you really got to make good movies especially comedy movies.
½ May 30, 2017
Like piss and vomit humor? Grown Ups 2 is the movie for you! Seriously what a giant goddamn dumpster fire this was. It made me so sad because - and I can't believe I'm saying this - but I actually enjoyed the first Grown Ups movie. This, on the other hand, is a piece of cinematic garbage that should go down as not only one of Sandler's worst films (out of the many awful ones he's had lately), but one of the worst of all time.
May 29, 2017
Definitely not a sequel that needed to be made. It's stupid and half-assed. At least it is watchable and fairly amusing, but I am a little embarrassed to say so. (First and only full viewing - 7/15/2013 in theaters)
May 29, 2017
Adam Sandler has become one of the laziest writers and talent, drifting on heavily funded fluff that hurts more then it provides laughter. The first film delivered a guilty pleasure but this film just dumbs down every chance it gets. There isn't even a well constructed joke which is saying something when one of the stars is Chris Rock. I had avoided this for so much time, family had it on so I suffered through this poor excuse for a film. Whatever happened to Happy Gilmore or the Wedding Singer? This once likable actor turned into a money making machine and bored the very audience who shelled out money to see him. It's only fitting the films now hot directly on Netflix, cheaper to watch and to watch in slow installments. 29-05-2017.