Guava Island Reviews

• Jan 16, 2020

The art is really nicely done and the colors are beautiful. They remind me of old Disney movies. Wow, Rihanna looks good. She put on a couple of pounds and those boobies are looking amazing. Kind of a reality check with the death towards the end but it's a great message. We have to keep fighting for peace and for what's right in this world. I like the use of color with blue and red. The use of death as a rebirth for the people to come together and rejoice. It was also used as a platform for Donald to get his music more out there.

• Dec 31, 2019

There's a lot of ambition and passion behind this so called secret project, which makes the forgettable short story worth viewing if not for its leads.

• Nov 19, 2019

Guava Island is an incredibly boring, too slow a film with second-hand ambitions. Its love story too doesn't make the grade.

• Oct 18, 2019

Bucata cu This Is America e interesanta, altfel: de ce?

Bucata cu This Is America e interesanta, altfel: de ce?

• Oct 13, 2019

okayish. utopic view.

okayish. utopic view.

• Sep 09, 2019

Glover really drives home community over profit. It's a family and society story.

• Aug 08, 2019

I thought it was absolutely fantastic. I don't really understand the mixed critic reviews, or 6.8/10 on Metacritic. It was beautiful, passionate, fun, funny, joyful, heartbreaking, maddening. It is one of those projects that really makes you stop and think about the meaning of life, the meaning of work, the meaning of Capitalism. It was filled with both subtle and profound symbology. Caged birds. People who loved music so much, that they make instruments out of anything they can find to play the rhythms in their heart. The need for the motivation of joy and enjoyment of life. The idea that you can't cage someone's essence. People need to be free. Oppression only works for so long before the souls of the people will rise above it. This film is the embodiment of all of these greater ideas, and Glover absolutely shines. His voice is transcendent, his character is magnetic and unapologetically magnificent. Rihanna is genuine, raw, and powerful. Her last line, "we got our day," is the perfect ending to this masterpiece. Seeing the ideas behind "This is America" brought to film is just what the world needs right now. "America IS a ‘ concept.' Anytime you're working to make someone else richer, it's America." - One of the most relevant and poignant lines of any film I've seen in a while. 10/10, I would recommend this film to absolutely anyone. Even small children. There is no sex, no gore (one small scene, out of view), no language. Only the celebration of life and freedom from oppression. I don't know why anyone would feel anything but complete adoration for the film and it's actors.

• Aug 03, 2019

I was bored. Couldn't sit through it. The characters were not relatable. The story was off-pace. Was this a musical?or a film? Or a short film? What was this format?

• Jul 27, 2019

in a short 55 minuets glover manages to draw the audience in emotionally and give a bitter sweet ending to one of my new favorite short movies

• Jul 02, 2019

What felt more like an extended version of a music video with a small bit of a plot thrown in there, mostly this is just about the music(which is good btw). It clocks in at just a few minutes short of an hour, so there's that. The ending was slightly anti-climactic, but oh well..