Hackers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hackers Reviews

½ February 26, 2017
Bad plot, bad acting and just a bad film in general.
February 8, 2017
(( some spoilers))

When people think of Hackers whether real or fictional we think, Snowden, Mr.Robot, techy computer savants who spend countless hours in front of computer screens sifting through numerical code that would seem like gibberish to the layman. We don't think " highschool" kids ( who look 30), who dress like they're in a madmax film acting extremely flamboyant and depicting hacking as a mish-mash of every popular 80s arcade game with A.I.M trash talk( a.i.m.....Wow I'm old).

You know what though?.......

1 R3@LLY L1K3 TH15 M0V13. :D

Hackers was released in 1995; the era of dial up internet, MtV(when it was edgy), payphones, and floppy disks. It stars Johnny Lee Miller as a genius computer hacker named Dade Murphy A.K.A: Zero Cool, Crash Override ( coolest hacker names ever in this movie). He was caught hacking by the FBI when he was 10 or 11, and banned from using a computer or LAN line phone until his 18th birthday.( First:What? Second: Stupid)

He moves to New York city with his mom and soon falls in with a group of low level hackers at his highschool (yes, there are echelons of hacking according to this movie.) A young and very hot Angelina Jolie is Murphy's love interest and rival hacker named (Acid Burn); they go back and forth with the love hate relationship in this movie, but this is just the subplot of the film.

The main plot involves Overrides lame hacker friend (Joey), who trying to impress his friends accidentally copies a garbage file from a major oil corporation that would expose a couple corrupt executives syphoning money. This is where we get our villian, the best and worst part of this movie. Our main villian is Fisher Stevens (Short Circuit1 and 2 and a litany of television appearances) who's a hacker ,and the C.T.O of the oil company who rides a skateboard everywhere and only lets people call him " The Plague" ( someone actually calls him Mr.The Plague). Our secondary villian is Lorraine Brocca (The Sopranos, Goodfellas) as a ditzy C.E.O who blindly follows everything The Plague suggests. They're an odd mismatched pair and look like Jessie and James of team rocket if James grew a beard.

The Plague plans to blame Dade and his friends for a hack he created to syphon money from the oil company. The movie is pretty much a expose the douchey evil corporate fatcats who oppress our lives and try to blame us for their misdeeds.

The movie is very campy and ridiculous throughout(Especially Matthew Lillard), but it's also fun. Of course the way they show hacking in this movie is nothing like real life, but how awesome would it be if it was. This movie is like if hacker who was a videogame and anime junkie got to direct a movie. It's ultra 90s awesomeness, and you can totally see elements from this film that have inspired the amazing show Mr.Robot. Yes, this movie is dumb but it's too much fun to pass up.

4/5

P.s. awesome hacker names in this movie

Phantom Phreak Crash Override

Cereal Killer Acid Burn

Lord Nikon Zero Cool
November 14, 2016
For some reason I really connected with this movie, not for being personal, but just because is so much fun, I would certainly call it a cult classic.
August 28, 2016
A movie even Angelina Jolie wants to forget about...
July 30, 2016
This isn't a spectacular film by any means - but it's a fun watch. The characters are interesting, and all have their little quirks - represented well by well-known actors now, who weren't back then. The story isn't overly complex, but actually drops a lot of future foreshadowing in terms of what life is like now for some people. Yes, there are kids that can code now, VERY WELL, and yes, corporate America reigns supreme. If you're looking for some quick entertainment, and the cyberpunk world interests you, definitely give this a watch.
½ July 23, 2016
A classic for its time.
Some badass soundtrack.
June 4, 2016
I now see where the music and look of The Matrix comes from... and Angelina ??????
½ May 30, 2016
This is the most '90s movie to every 90. I hope there's a website out there listing every single '90s trope this film has. Every single one. The rollerblading. The power of modems. The awful tinted sunglasses. The awful Christian sunglasses. The dark wet alley with steam set. Matthew Lillard. Every single article of clothing. Nirvana poster. Da Rude the Soundtrack. Horrible and wonderful computers. Pay phones. Everything!
½ February 23, 2016
Highly enjoyable cyber teen flick...It is cool to remember Jonny Lee Miller and Jolie together.
December 26, 2015
Very good movie. The plot is pretty unique in its hacker point of view, the style and direction is solid, the dialogue is pretty funny, and the performances are very good, especially Miller, Jolie and Lillard.
½ December 21, 2015
Rather unique, quirky, dated. It was worth my time.
½ December 16, 2015
At the time in which I saw the film in theaters, 'some' of the hacking techniques were accurate - but 95% of what you see in the film of course is total BS. A good nostalgic film? Sorta good for laughs, but doesn't hold it's weight today. This film released a bevy of soundtracks at the time. 4 to be precise. 1 being the OST, 2 the score, 3 & 4 were remixes of the popular tracks heard in the film.
½ December 16, 2015
"Never send a boy to do a woman's job."
½ December 8, 2015
I never saw this back in the era in which it was released so I think I miss out on the nostalgia factor that so many people draw on when praising it. I didn't not enjoy it but my overal review would boil down to "so 90s".
December 8, 2015
I'm reminded of how painful the nineties were.
December 5, 2015
The most 90's film I've ever seen... so terribly dated... like a William Gibson book adapted by Disney. Utter bollocks but somehow compelling.
November 20, 2015
41%
Saw this on 8/7/15
Ian Softley's Hackers has superb visual effects and odd ball music, but it feels extremely immature and has an alarming lack of seriousness just like the behaviour of it's supporting cast.
September 26, 2015
One of the worst films I've ever seen. I highly recommend it.
September 25, 2015
the film is fun if goofy but it has cult status with the advanced plot of the era. the music, the actors and the villain deliver a film that isn't critic friendly but audience friendly.
September 24, 2015
Peeps are such haters! This movie is awesome. The characters are fun and it makes hacking, which is extremely tedious, look fun and exciting. The movie has great costuming and great music. If you were between your tweens and your late teens when you saw this movie for the first time, it's pretty much a sure thing you love it. This movie should (or does) have cult status. Plus it's just fun that a movie about computers used models instead of cg.