Hardball - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hardball Reviews

½ August 27, 2016
Loved it when I was younger
August 17, 2016
Watched about 1/2 an hour and shut it off. I can see where this is going and it's nowhere good.
½ July 6, 2016
Why would they allow the kids to use profanity so much!? That's a wasted opportunity!
½ June 22, 2016
I do not understand why this film received a lower rating than Human Centipede, in what world is that right?
½ June 5, 2016
A fun film with fun characters. And the 3rd act is very sad. My grade for HARDBALL is a B-
½ May 25, 2016
Although the sports script layout is fairly common and this movie does not challenge it very well, its side plot about the redemption and tragedy of this broken man becoming human, thanks to some crass inner city kids, is well delivered and believable, albeit predictable. Keanu is an often mocked and underrated actor who delivers sincere emotion to the screen on this. I think it truly shows he is an actor, not an action star. I liked this film.
February 24, 2016
Good movie. It's certainly not the most original, even for a true story movie, but it still has a good heart, some funny moments, great direction, and great performances from Reeves and the kids.
January 19, 2016
Dangerous Minds meets The Mighty Ducks in a solid drama, solidly directed though at times Keanu Reeves does feel miscast. The fact that not all of the younger actors is particularly memorable is a shame, the real stand out of the younger cast is DeWayne Warren whose character is a joy and heart breaking at the same time. There are also early appearances for John Hawkes and a young Michael B. Jordan. Overall enjoyable without being particularly memorable
December 14, 2015
Any attempt at emotion is squandered by poor writing and execution by the actors. This attempted cross between "The Mighty Ducks" and "Coach Carter" only shows signs of life when Diane Lane is on screen.
November 30, 2015
Dumb at times, but still a really good sports movie. Keanu Reeves is surprisingly good here.
September 18, 2015
It is an excellent movie and heart touching
½ September 12, 2015
The kids are great actors. It was fun!
September 12, 2015
This movie has it's moments, but it also is very flawed. It was emotional and dark which is rare for a sports movie especially since it is about a gamblers debts and childrens sports, but it had a lot of heart and meaning as well. It's basically Bad News Bears Meets Boyz N The Hood. It was lengthy but oddly entertaining.
September 10, 2015
Excellent baseball movie but be sure to keep a box of tissues nearby.
March 30, 2015
Complaints of it being formulaic are, quite frankly, unwarranted. Everyone knows a sports movie ends in one of two ways, either they win or lose! Add in some tearful drama and you have a winner. There is no need to transcend the sports drama, 99% of people are very happy with it, and this works. You'll shed a tear and be uplifted, what more could you want.
½ February 23, 2015
I wouldn't wish this flick on my worst enemy!
½ February 11, 2015
A drunk gambling man takes over a low income baseball team in this dramatic attempt at Bad News Bears in the ghetto.
January 2, 2015
Thoroughly enjoyable film, light hearted humour with underlying deeper tones. Some very touching emotional moments.
½ December 27, 2014
Cheesy, but a childhood favorite of mine
½ August 16, 2014
(First viewing - Fall 2001 in theaters)