Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1 Reviews

½ January 21, 2017
I did not like the part when doby died
January 20, 2017
A little predictable and less original, Deathly Hallows: Part I is another Harry Potter's dark and smart movie that can't enthusiasm the fans like other Harry Potter's movies do. Disappointing.
January 18, 2017
Love the Harry Potter series
½ January 17, 2017
It could have benefited from "speeding up" the frantic nature of the film, but The Deathly Hallows Part 1 remains the most under-appreciated film in the franchise because of its solid performances, well-crafted direction, and unique storytelling mode.
January 8, 2017
The first part of the Deathly Hallows suffers from a boring and draggy middle chapter, but its focus on character and some exciting action sequences make it a worthy setup for the final film.
January 3, 2017
170102: Though the pace is a little slow at times, this first part of the Deathly Hallows is pretty damn intense. This is no kids' film with its holocaust-like atmosphere. Almost scary at times, Harry Potter is fighting to survive in a dark and hostile world. There are so many characters here I'd like to see go down with finality but, unfortunately, some of the good ones do instead. I'm excited for Part 2 and anticipating, hopefully, violent resolution. Who would've thought way back in 2001, those childlike characters would battling in such a manner?
December 31, 2016
Good film, dragged a little at times but the ending was great.
½ December 22, 2016
"It sets my teeth on edge"
December 19, 2016
Concluding a film series with a 2 parter is usually, to me at least, a bad idea, a cheap way to make more money while dragging a story out unnecessarily over 2 movies. But with a tale as epic as Harry Potter you can understand why they did it. It's true that this film often feels like it's spinning its wheels, with long stretches of downtime, the characters sitting around planning their next move or arguing. What saves it from complete mundanity is its character moments. Each of the 3 principal cast members get a chance to demonstrate their acting chops and reveal the depths of their performances. Some of their conflicts may feel predictable and easy to resolve, but enough of them feel human that the ones which don't aren't too much of an annoyance. It serves its purpose in getting us to the final movie, and is probably the least rewatchable of the series, but for a single viewing it's still a decent flick.
December 10, 2016
Solidly entertaining but not as great as its series counterparts.
December 9, 2016
Easily the smartest film of the whole series, Deathly Hallows - Part 1 juggles many different plot strands with ease whilst finding time to focus on the toll the emotional journey has taken on the main characters as well as foreshadowing the oncoming threat that the biggest fight is yet to come. The performances of all three leads are stellar and easily their standout movies.Fans of Radcliffe, Watson and Grint will be pleased that these actors are given a chance to show what they're really made of. In short, this film is an emotional, beautiful film that sets up the finale to come very well.
½ December 6, 2016
Not the best one but it's really exciting and clever none the less.
½ December 5, 2016
In the 2010s a new trend was born and exploited to death by Hollywood: Splitting films in half. This blatant cash grab trend was started needlessly in the process of adapting the finale of the adventures of Harry Potter and company and while it goes without saying that this wasn't needed at all, the question remains: is this first half of a movie a satisfying one?

After the major events of the last film, Harry and company are chased across both Wizard and Muggle worlds. In this state of desperation, the trio goes rogue in order to avoid Death Eaters and the Ministry (which has been infiltrated by Voldemort) and find the rest of the Horcruxes. But in their quest they will learn not only about the Horcruxes but about the mythical Deathly Hollows.

To be honest, the sole existence of this film pisses me off, as it is the ultimate representation of Hollywood´s greed and laziness. Warner could have easily mixed all that's important here into "Half Blood Prince" (before people say ´well that's a different book´, Peter Jackson mixed stories of the three LotR books and it worked flawlessly in streamlining things), but putting that feeling aside this film is dull. Considering the fact that the story is Harry and company in a road trip hiding from the rest of the world, this film is extremely limited as we are trapped with the main trio when we have already learn everything about them (we have spent six film with them for Christ sake) and have already explore every character angle possible, the story is insanely stretched, shocking for an unnecessary film, as instead of focusing on chasing down Horcruxes we get a wedding, another teen romance and tons of needless exposition; and it suffers from major pacing issues. To be honest, I thought this would be on par with "Prisoner of Azkaban" as it would be focused on character development but it isn't, it's so focused on exposition that could have been done on previous films and it doesn't tell us anything new about these characters at all, every time they interact we have seen it before: Angry ("Goblet of Fire"), investigating ("Chamber of Secrets"), in love ("Half Blood Prince") and confident (the whole freaking franchise).

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 1" is a competent greatest hits of the franchise. It is unnecessary, slow, stretched but competent. An attempt at character development that arrived two movies too late.
½ December 4, 2016
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 does indeed feel like it's preceding a bigger and better sequel but the film is ultimately an amazing film which is more action-packed, darker and more visually stunning as ever. Also, the film also rises on the strength of its performances as stellar as ever and the fact that it's occasionally both frightening and humorous to prevent things from getting too gloomy for their own good.
½ December 3, 2016
yeah, yeah, yeah, we are prepared to the end this is a good film talking about harry potter maybe isn't the best but i know that you gonna like too much
½ November 26, 2016
I hope it'll be waaaaaaaaay better then the sixth one
½ November 23, 2016
Not my favorite out of all the movies and books but I defiantly tribute the wonderful job they have done on the making of this movie. I loved it and everyone should watch it because of you don't, you'll be missing out on life.
November 20, 2016
Favourite movie of the series. Beautifully shot, the deathly hallows story was narrated and illustrated in an amazing way and from start to finish you were left feeling tense. It strayed slightly from the book which I enjoyed. The books are always better but I thought the dance scene was a very good addition to the film.
November 18, 2016
this deserves a better rating. continuously suspenseful and gripping