Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1 Reviews

September 8, 2017
Mostly talking, but okay
½ August 24, 2017
A deathly emotional and beautifully shot film that has the potentially to bring you to tears on multiple occasions, even if it might feel like a setup at times rather than its own film.

The first installment of the two-film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows follows Harry (Daniel Radcliffe), Ron (Rupert Grint), and Hermione (Emma Watson) as they search for the pieces of Voldemort's (Ralph Fiennes) soul that he extracted from his being and hid in obscure locations both far and wide. If the trio is unable to locate and destroy them all, Voldemort will remain immortal. Despite their long friendship, a combination of dark forces, romantic tensions, and long-held secrets threaten to sabotage the mission.

All great things must come to an end, even if it takes two parts to do so. The seventh film and the first of two parts is not only extremely emotional, but it's the start of what feels like an end to an era. Everything we've been waiting for escalates up to this moment, and you can't help but let your emotions run loose as you see all of our beloved characters.

I guess the only real problem I had with this film is that it feels like a setup sometimes to the grand finale. Some moments and ideas are stretched out a little too long in order to meet a longer run-time but more often than not, it feels kind of useless in a sense. Either way, I still think this film is really well done and although this is a problem, it's not enough to dismay what I felt when watching this movie.

So far, this has been one of the more emotional films, with much more destruction and crying to come. We see all the characters we know and love come together one last time as they all fight for their lives. We see the sacrifices they all make, the choices they live by, and what they all stand for. It's extremely emotional when you put yourself in this situation, especially when they give you a beginning as they did here. I was on the brink of tears as I saw all the darkness this movie had to offer, which is a magnificent example as to how well these films have done in immersing you in this world.

I think we really see our main actors shine here. They've all had their moments of glory in the previous films, but I feel like they all give pretty powerful performances here. Everyone from Daniel Radcliffe and down the list, they all offer something great here. Maybe it's the fact of how long everyone's been a part of these films, but they all embrace their characters very well.

So far out of the first seven films, I think this is the best looking film by far. It's beautifully shot and the cinematography is absolutely gorgeous. I love the look of this film and everything from the set pieces to where they actually shot the movie is stunning. It's easily the best looking film so far, discounting whatever we'll see from the next film. I really appreciate just how different this film feels based on the settings alone, making it a special one in its own right.

In the end, this film is extremely dark and magical, signaling the end of a franchise (or, a near end in this case). It's an excellent build up, with some problems for sure, but I can't help how much emotion I feel seeing everything fall together.
August 20, 2017
Builds Up Rather Nicely, But Doesn't Really Deepen, Brooding It All Up With Somber Side-Notes, Until The Tale Gets Action Packed Late In The Mix. Helpful To Have The '3-Wizards Meet Death On A Bridge' Vignette Piece, But Camping With Harry & Hermiony Is Just Plain Boring. During All That, There Is A-Lot Of Mashed Up Side-Show Plots That Are Nothing More Than Filler, I Felt...Bring On Part-2 & Let's Be Done With It!!
August 17, 2017
The rating is the for the collective Deathly Hallows Parts 1 & 2 combined as one viewing experience.
August 13, 2017
It carries Glumness and Sorrow of a big boring ride that you probably should just skip all together.
August 13, 2017
Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 Its Dark Visually stunning and emotional, really emotional and that's good.
On the other hand it is unlike any other Potter movie, you take away Hogwarts and Harry Potter loses part of its magic, at the same time adding to the feeling of unsafety the movie was trying to put our main characters in, the movie feels like its dragging on for too long, they took one book and splinted it up in two movies, and you can feel it, Which you shouldn't.
We arent emotionally invested enough in some of the characters outside of our three main heroes, Harry, Ron and Hermione, making us unable to feel the emotions the movie tries to convey in the final climax, since we havent spent enough time with Dobby the elf in the previous movies, or even in this one.
Fans will enjoy Deathly Hallows Part 1, Its good, but not as good as it could or should be.
July 21, 2017
Part 1 of the Harry Potter series is Intense, Brilliant and A Masterpiece :)
½ July 19, 2017
Harry potter is awesome and so is the movie, great action great everything! Few boting parts though but it all leads up to the end of part 1 and 2
½ July 1, 2017
Book WAYYYYYY better
½ June 26, 2017
This is the most under rated movie in the harry potter series in my opinion. It is dark, fun, exciting and I did not think that is was boring at all.

8.7/10
June 22, 2017
Director Yates made the wise choice by splitting the film into two parts, considering the book being over 750 pages long! Only wished that Bill and Fleur's wedding scene was more developed like it was in the original story, because there was so much to learn about Albus Dumbledore's backstory during the reception!
As a standalone film, it's a worthy adaptation of the original story from J.K. Rowling!
½ June 9, 2017
This was a pretty artful, complex & compelling piece of work for a film that technically doesn't have a beginning or an ending.
It was fairly interesting to watch, as it expertly balanced a tricky and expansive narrative, along with quiet character moments and some rollicking action sequences.
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1" isn't close to being a bad movie, but it is arguably the weakest among the first seven films in the series. By the end, I had less a feeling of satisfaction than an obvious want: Let's get to Part 2.
June 5, 2017
A really astonishing chapter
June 3, 2017
best movie watched every part expect this one
May 31, 2017
This film is only the first half of its source novel, and as such you get the feeling that it's always building up to something but never arriving there (that's because it actually is). It does well, but can't entirely please without the second half.
May 30, 2017
The first and only film I've witnessed to get a standing ovation in a sold out cinema and it wasn't even opening night.
May 29, 2017
I want to see it again so bad I am a major Harry Potter fan. Incredible movie :p
½ April 9, 2017
It's pretty solid, pretty good movie so I would consider it to be decent
April 6, 2017
Saw it last night. It was prety good, but they put to much in to it that I thought was not needed.
April 4, 2017
The slowest of the series doesn't mean it's the worst. An emotion-filled installment finds a way to make searching for objects in the woods entertaining. Though being my least favorite of the series, it adds a bit more depth to our heroes before they enter their final chapter.