Harsh Times Reviews

• Aug 02, 2019

Awesome acting by Christian bale and really a nice movie.

Awesome acting by Christian bale and really a nice movie.

• Jul 07, 2019

I have no idea why this film is rated so low. I should give this film a perfect 5-star rating just because of Christian Bales' performance but the beginning of the film felt mediocre. Still, one of Christian Bales best performances

• May 11, 2019

Strengths: Christian Bale (Jim Davis) is great here. That's something that can be said for pretty much every movie. Davis is a flawed character and Bale plays him as such. He also had a natural chemistry with Freddy Rodriguez (Mike Alonzo). Even when they make bad decisions, it's still mostly fun to see them together. Terry Crews (Darrell), JK Simmons (Agent Richards), and Eva Longoria (Slyvia) all give solid supporting performances in smaller roles. There's an intensity and sense of realism in the majority of these scenes. You get the sense that something dramatic and bad will happen in almost every single situation they're put into. Weaknesses: What an absolutely bleak movie. Other than a few fun character interactions, there's just nonstop drab in this movie. I get that's what they were going for, but it just makes for a dull film. As flawed as Davis is, it never feels like he learns his lesson. He has a small moment near the end, but it doesn't feel like a satisfying conclusion. Neither o the two main characters come across as likable, so there's nobody to root for. David Ayer continues to be one of the most inconsistent writers/directors in Hollywood. This is one of his lesser efforts without much style in the direction and a script riddled with issues. The dialogue is clunky and most of the character decisions are just stupid. Overall: Christian Bale does all he can, and the rest of the cast is fine, but it lacks any kind of direction or reason to be engaged.

• Feb 01, 2019

I really loved this movie. Christian Bale turns in what is in my opinion his best acting job yet, and he's done a lot of big things. He honestly brings a great energy to this movie and Freddy Rodriguez matches the energy 100%. The acting in this was fantastic. I can't wait to watch it again to see if there was anything I missed. Overall I was very impressed by this movie, the story, the acting, and the directing is all top notch. Very good work, I'll watch this several times. It really reminded me a lot of "Training Day", which I know the guy who directed the movie was involved with also.

• Jan 04, 2019

Enjoyable and dramatic.

Enjoyable and dramatic.

• Apr 26, 2018

Great movie about the harsh times and antics that some veterans go through after getting back from the Iraq War. My brother is a veteran from that war (was stationed in Victory), and seems like a pretty accurate character study. The scene at the end was priceless, for lack of better words.

• Mar 27, 2018

Sorry but this was a fantastic grim well acted movie.

Sorry but this was a fantastic grim well acted movie.

• Feb 17, 2018

bale is on point as usual, but the groups antics turn into predictability.

bale is on point as usual, but the groups antics turn into predictability.

• Jan 11, 2018

This movie is ridiculous! Especially all the actors in this movie acting like fools trying to be so hard was the most annoying part! Completely lame!

• Oct 16, 2017

A Good movie with Great Performances and Uncanny performance from Bale, Rodriquez and Longoria...A movie that brings gritty realism about the streets of LA...From Training Day writer David Ayer it breathes in the same vain as Training Day, Street Kings, and End Of Watch...I give it a Thumb Up...