Heavenly Creatures Reviews

• Dec 29, 2018

Pre-adventure Jackson film and a true vivid stoy of the bonding of two teenage girls. When Juliet is joining Pauline's class they seem like perfect match. They are both pretty special and they surely make each others lives complete. They are becoming a couple and that's not OK back in the 1950's, especially not when you are sixteen. Everyone tries to ruin what they have and tries to separate them. At least that what's it feels like for the girls - it's the world against them. I dig the story and the production. With it's jump cuts and moving cameras it makes me think of pre 2000 Jackson movies. Melanie Lynskey debuts here, now most known as "Rose" from "Two and a Half Men", and she is brilliant. Kate Winslet is even more amazing and they're chemstry is something that reminds me of "Bonnie and Clyde" or something. It's based on a true story and this is a really interesting take on two crazy young ladies - disturbing and weird. I dig the weirder scenes here, when they're fantasies go wild. Sadly it's a bit dragged. It's build up are too long and it's like they are standing on the same place for way too long. I feel a bit bored and I wanted more out of this film. 6.5 out of 10 clay people.

• Dec 28, 2018

As a fan of Peter Jackson and his Middle-Earth movies in particular, I was intrigued to see what other genres he can tackle besides fantasy and I was beyond surprised when I came across this interesting movie. Heavenly Creatures is a compelling drama based on a disturbing real-life story. As I had no previous knowledge of what it was about, I found the movie insightful and interesting but not enjoyable. I prefer Jackson's creative mind in fantasies not in reality.

• Oct 03, 2018

The blending of reality and fantasy in Heavenly Creatures is superb. Creative transitions and cuts that are sprinkled throughout, help create an unique experience. Another thing I'd like to highlight is the camerawork, which serves as an integral part of the storytelling. It can feel jarring sometimes, but that's just reflecting the inner turmoil of our protagonists. When it's not going crazy, you can find some incredible camera movements and tricks, that will offer you something unlike anything you've ever seen before.

• Jul 23, 2018

There is something about 90s movies. Only masterpieces can shake off that 90s feeling and endure the passing of time, This, for me, is not one of those.

• Mar 10, 2018

I don't like this movie. something about it really bores me. peter jackson maybe. not a fan.

• Feb 18, 2018

Outstanding fantasy drama with amazing performances by Kate Winslet and Melanie Lynskey. The story is about an intensely strong friendship between 2 girls, which leads up to the execution of a crazy idea supported by abstract fairy tale like visuals. Two styles superbly mixed together by Peter Jackson, bring a true story to life and make it comprehensible for a large audience. Through the story line and the way it is portrayed you emphasize with the main characters and at the end of the film the viewer itself starts to believe it's a plausible plan to 'get rid of mother'. This was Kate Winslet's jump start to Hollywood. Excellent debut. @Korben_Dallas on Twitter

• Jan 17, 2018

A disturbing but entertaining watch. The 2 leads in this film are both very good but its Jackson's visual flare and world building that set this film apart. A rather grisly tale is turned into an Alice in Wonderland for adults.

• Mar 26, 2017

A Masterpiece of broken lifes and dreams. Outstanding!

A Masterpiece of broken lifes and dreams. Outstanding!

• Mar 09, 2017

Peter Jackson reveals his true self in this exceptionaly engaging and poignant true story of friendship and murder. Expertly directed with out of this world performances by newcomers Kate Winslet and Melanie Lynskey. Fantasy and reality come crashing in one of the best films of the 90's and a true auteur found his voice in this captivating movie

• Feb 22, 2017

Interesting take on this true crime story. It's where Jackson fist started branching out, but you can definitely still see his style all over this.