Hell or High Water Reviews

• 1d ago

Hell or High Water is the epitome of neo-western films in the 21st century.

Hell or High Water is the epitome of neo-western films in the 21st century.

• 5d ago

Loved this movie, same feel as "No country for old men"

Loved this movie, same feel as "No country for old men"

• Aug 30, 2019

The latter half of Hell or High Water compensates for some of the action and emotions that the first half may have been slightly missing, and so much more.

• Aug 22, 2019

Decent flick worth watching. There is no way the ending makes any sense though.

Decent flick worth watching. There is no way the ending makes any sense though.

• Aug 21, 2019

351. Hell or High Water. Have you ever wondered what a classic western style story would be like filmed today without much done to update the script? No, me either, until I realized that's exactly what I was watching... Story about two bank robbing brothers, Tanner and Toby Howard, raising enough cash to keep the bad bank man from taking the farm. Ya see, they struck oil on that land, not much, but enough to get by. Toby is the smart one, doing bad things for good reasons. Tanner is the wild card, doing bad things just to do bad things, but deep down, doing it for his brother! But coming up quick behind them is the law, Texas Ranger kinda law!! The old sheriff, Marcus Hamilton, just about to retire, and through pretty much intuition alone ends up in the right places at the right times, and with Marcus his Native American partner, Alberto, who is assaulted by the racist humor of the sheriff all day, but deep down, there's a bromance going on! And as Tanner and Toby continue their bank robbing ways, Tanner gets a little cocky takes on a bank full of people, shots fired, they barely escape with their lives, the townsfolk round up an armed posse to go after them chasing them up the road, but right around the corner is the sheriff, because deep down he knew where those pesky Howard boys were gonna strike next leading up to the ultimate showdown between the Texas Rangers and a couple of law breaking cowboys!! So this takes place in modern day, but it had the classic western set up. So if you're looking for a modern day western, go for it, looking for Heat, or Point Break, i'd say probably not. Filmbufftim on FB.

• Aug 19, 2019

It's beautifully made. Just work on your pacing.

It's beautifully made. Just work on your pacing.

• Aug 17, 2019

In a desperate struggle between two good ol' boys trying to save their farm from the bank, this modern-day western captures West Texas and the cowboy code of honor. Jeff Bridges plays The Law like the fat, crusty old man he has become. Equal parts thriller and tragedy, ultimately we all end up sad about how nothing of the romance of the old west has been able to survive the forces of greed that defile everything they touch.

• Aug 16, 2019

Hell or High Water is a snapshot on a post-recession Texas through the setup of a traditional bank robber story. Chris Pine ditches his movie star image for a quiet, reserved performance as a run down Texan trying to do right by his family and Ben Foster is the reckless loose cannon who he calls his brother. Jeff Bridges is basically playing himself, but that works to great effect. Very good, well paced with good cinematography and great dialogue.

• Aug 12, 2019

Terrific story. Great lead performances. The script and stars steal the show. Feels like a throwback to the 70s.

• Aug 07, 2019

Gotta say, Jeff Bridges turns in an outstanding performance. I'm a West Texas native and I can count so many Texas sheriffs, Rangers, DPS, city and county cops who are exactly like him. Not a fan of Ben Foster. He just didn't fit the role. Nor did Chris Pine. I thought it was a good twist on an old theme, but it felt and looked jumpy, as if there was too much to fit into a short time frame. As the plot unfolds, we catch a glimpse of why the brothers are robbing banks, but it just didn't catch me in a way I thought it would. The ending was hacky. I doubt seriously the Ranger could have made that shot from the position he was in. And the very end, the confrontation, over done I think. I understand some lawmen can't let go of the job, and I understand the motive of the Jeff Bridges character of wanting revenge for the death of his partner, however, the shooting on the mountain was a bit too cut and dried, and the confrontation at the end seem strained and forced at best. At worst, It's a convenient vehicle for the viewer to guess what may or may not happen next.