Her - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Her Reviews

April 25, 2017
One of the greatest movies ever made period, that's my review watch it NOW!!!!!!
April 20, 2017
One of the most introspective and creative romance films of all time. Phoenix and Johansson are in top form, while Jonze's unique direction counterweights hilarity with echoing loneliness.
April 20, 2017
Don't get fooled by the premise. This film is not only beautiful to look at but is also a thought-provoking journey that touches and expands on a plethora of aspects of the human psyche, consciousness, and nature.
April 16, 2017
Writer and Director, Spike Jonze (Adaptation, Being John Malkovich) brings us a very emotional and sexy love/romance story between a man and an artificial intelligent operating system. Emotion is real, and extremely present. Acting has depth, and is very engaging. Comedy is there, and it's funny and witty. Spike Jonze continues to impress! 5 stars outta 5 stars.
March 30, 2017
Brilliant and beautiful, very different to your usual love stories. As soon as I started watching this for some reason I had a feeling I was going to enjoy it, Joaquin Phoenix is great in this, highly recommend watching it.
March 27, 2017
Beautiful movie about love and the advancement of technology. Joaquin Phoenix and Amy Adams give great performances. Scarlett Johansson does a great job as the voice of Samantha. This is really something I believe we are not to far away from.
March 22, 2017
Excessive and totally unnecessary use of the "F" word. The guy is OK with dating but at the same time can't bear to sign the divorce agreement his wife has wanted for a year. How fair is that to his date - Pathetic! Falling in love with a computer program's voice - also pathetic.
March 8, 2017
Funny and emotional, "Her" shows more than just a man in love with an A.I.
March 4, 2017
Beautiful movie about love and technology.
March 4, 2017
unusual and interesting story line
February 23, 2017
The film is pretty funny, it's beautifully shot. The film seems to be mildly unsure of what it wants to say about relationships. Joaquin's performance is pretty good, he gives it everything he's got and he's not afraid to look weird. It's a bit too long. Amy coulda been more likable. It's probably worth a watch.
February 21, 2017
Her is a fantastic movie, it goes down as my favorite movie of 2013, it's about relationships and this movie made it engaging, every thing about this movie is great, it's funny, it's heart warming, and every time I watched it I was always so happy
February 21, 2017
Grade - C
'Her' has an interesting concept on its side, and is helped by some good performances. However, the movie suffers with some pacing issues and, for reasons hard to pinpoint, I didn't feel as invested as I should've been. Many are loving it, so if the concept sounds interesting to you make sure you check it out for yourself.
February 19, 2017
Why on earth does this have such a high rating? Was it really that groundbreaking when it first came out? This movie was awful. I gave it one full star for starting with a mildly interesting premise (albeit one that's been done a hundred times before), but in execution, this movie falls drastically short. The attraction between the protagonist and his operating system seems horribly forced; immediately introducing what is supposed to be a computer as a breathy, overly sensitive woman who can instantly banter and is capable of carrying on girlfriend-tier conversations with Theodore. Over the course of the movie, the computer displays jealousy, shyness, shame, love, arousal, desire, and other emotions that years after the movie's release immediately kill all suspension of disbelief, even if this movie were to be set in a distant future with more advanced artificial intelligence. Equally awkward is watching these A-list actors attempt to say their lines with a straight face as they admit to things like that their partner cheated on them with someone else's phone or that they've moved on from an ex because they bought a new OS. There was a scene of a double date near the end in which they sat around on a hilltop staring blankly at the ground and raising their eyebrows and tilting their heads for five minutes in complete silence. (I hope someone interviewed Chris Pratt on how awkward it was to shoot this movie.) Theodore spends the majority of the latter half of the movie avoiding phone calls from his phone. Since when does a phone need to call you to talk to you? Seriously?
Every plot point that does not revolve around how amazing the OSes supposedly are is short and underdeveloped, and as such, every time we're supposed to identify with a main character having difficulties with their interpersonal relationships and seeking solace in technology, it just feels tired and distancing.
Establishing at the beginning of the movie that the love interest is a computer automatically makes everything Samantha says feel incredibly fake, no matter how much Scarlett Johansson throws herself into her lines. We already know everything she's saying is based on her programming, and as such, we're subjected to a depressing two hours of a lonely man falling completely for a clever trick that basically equates to when we ask Siri to tell us a joke.
The aesthetic of the movie is nice (although the decision to have so many of the main characters sporting cringey, creepy uncle moustaches was unfortunate) and the nice, colorful city shots are enjoyable for the first ten seconds, but then start to drag as the protagonist stares dramatically into the distance with his brows furrowed as he listens to his earbud.
The person I saw was with was very moved, but I felt absolutely nothing watching this. It just made me wrinkle my nose and roll my eyes a few times. The only way I think this movie works is if you can see Samantha as a metaphor for a long-distance relationship, in which case the story is touching, but not particularly inspired. However, forcing the audience to stoop down and play along with your completely irrational love story of a gasping, moody computer making the protagonist depressed for two excruciating hours does not work. I could see this working a little better if they had made Samantha slightly more robotic, predictable, and with an even slightly even voice, but alas, they went for the melodrama. I regret watching this. Read a synopsis and don't waste your time.
February 16, 2017
A deeply felt movie. Quite creepy though.
½ February 13, 2017
Outstanding. Clever. A reflection of how things may become.
½ February 12, 2017
While at first glance the plot seems stupid, the execution was so well done that it makes for an interesting albeit questionable experience. I liked how this film really did delve into the complexities that might arise if this could happen. Also i thought the acting and voice over were superb and well casted. At times this movie is weird and silly, but for most part it does get you thinking about r increasing reliance on tech gadgets and our human relationships now with less and less face to face time-catfish ring a bell?
February 11, 2017
One of my favorite love films. Really defines that love goes beyond the physical.
½ February 10, 2017
Great idea for a movie. And one of the best individual performances I have seen, Joaquin Phoenix is amazing!
½ February 6, 2017
I like when they had sex