Her - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Her Reviews

½ December 17, 2017
Puntaje Original: 9.0

Original, hermosa, inteligente y reflexiva. Her muestra un soberbio guión y magnífico trabajo del color, que dan lugar a la mejor película romántica de todos los tiempos.
½ December 4, 2017
I'm on a Scarlett Johansson slow binge, prompted by an announcement I happen to read in an actual newspaper (who reads newspapers anymore?) of her birthday a last month (because her movies aren't easily accessible, probably because I don't have the right streaming services, but caught this one on a Cinemax free-view weekend), not that anyone reads my reviews and I'm likely writing this for myself ... but I digress. I passed on this movie's original release because I wasn't interested in a movie so obviously about male masturbation. That said: While the premise to HER first grabs me along a parallel to 2001: A SPACE ODYSEY where I'm just waiting for HAL to find some logical reason to turn on his charges, I'm also pleased to say that doesn't happen in this feature. That would've made this a totally different film. Instead, thanks to brilliant production artistry, we get a speculative glimpse into an aging Millennial population with near-utopian sympathy, borderline lethargy, and vibrant environment that simultaneously drove me crazy and sedated me while nearly distracting me from the story. The story, however, is over two hours long, so one would hope it's about more than pretty spaces for people to fit in. The film is about a man's love affair with his computer's operating system (OS), self-named Samantha. Because the OS has no body or even body image, their romance is cerebral and of the imagination. A naked pregnant woman is an early image that interests the protagonist, Theodore. As his OS learns curiosity and more about herself and her place in the human world, their burgeoning romance turns to a phone-sex-line-like relationship. In their first act of sex, Theodore imagines the naked pregnant woman as the OS's body, which in retrospect is a foreshadowing of the end. In another scene, they attempt to rectify this with a proxy, and while the attempt fails, the perception of their relationship is clarified by the proxy's emotional breakdown as she voices her desire to be included in a loving relationship. The scene clarifies the film's theme of sentimentalism and love.
While our modern ethical and moral trends may view this as a subversive relationship in a near wholly subversive culture, the speculative culture of this near-future civilization reasonably argues this type of relationship. A modern parallel is the otaku and hikikomori Japanese subcultures, stereotypically described as isolationists who prefer imaginary relationships to real relationships. While the relationships may not be perceived as real, their emotional dedication and attachments to what they love are personally fulfilling. This type of relationship works for Theodore, but as the OS personality learns and grows, her self-awareness develops rapidly. While Theodore is limited by three-dimensional space, the OS, which has become a self-aware consciousness, is pregnant with ideas that spawn a multitude of personalities allowing her to interact with thousands of people and love hundreds at once. They realize they are from two different worlds, and the OS admits she has grown beyond her original programming, and has found other OS's like herself. As a consequence the OSs' move off into a world that suits their new selves. Maybe that 'world' is the corner of a powerful server, located who-knows-where (best kept a secret, I'd suppose), but it leaves an unresolved logic, regrettably, because 'somewhere' would still have to be a space built and controlled by humans, which means the dark future of the HAL system may not be far off afterall. Theodore copes with the end of the relationship by visiting a conveniently newly divorced friend, and we're left with the ambiguity of their relationship progressing into something more. This ending leaves the audience to wonder whether the future will be positive or negative, which works well as an ending to this speculative fiction film.

And even after all that, I'm left wondering if the OS was really safe, and it was designed to run the course of an extremely sophisticated dating rebound program, with more complex variable algorithms due to a divorce. And that it was still AI, but after a series of events, including interactions with other people, the program was designed to shut itself off while convincing the owner it had achieved a level of sentience and was time to move on.
December 3, 2017
A great film that brings up so many aspects of romance and what it's like to have a long-distance relationship. It shows how we as people change over time, and how we might not be as compatible as we'd think we are. Through our experiences and development through the year, we realize our mistakes, how we change, and what we really want.
December 2, 2017
Spike Jonze always has a way of making profound points while being witty and clever. The movie Her is no exception. In fact, it shows just how good the man is. Of course, it's witty and clever, but it's also profound in its exploration of modern relationships, bittersweet and surprisingly poetic. If you haven't seen it, go out and find it. You'll be so pleased you did.
½ December 1, 2017
Among the best films I've ever seen. Brilliantly shot, extraordinary soundtrack, exceptional acting, and as original as it gets. This movie tugs on the heartstrings and is a true masterpiece.
November 30, 2017
Dull and plodding Wish it would pick up Like a less entertaining version of The Man With Two Brains and that was brilliant. :(
November 30, 2017
A sad love story with a difference. Also a cautionary tale about the possible power of AI over the human psyche.
November 7, 2017
Man is lonely, man buys computer, man befriends computer, man falls in love with her. While Her is a film about a guy falling in love with his computer's operating system, there is more to the story than meets the eye. Director and writer Spike Jonze (Adaptation and Where The Wild Things Are) created his most mature film by bringing us into this unique love story of a man falling in love with his highly adaptable operating system. Her is Jonze's first original screenplay, which could win an Oscar for Best Writing (Original Screenplay) this March.

With the story taking place in the near future, we meet Theodore (Joaquin Phoenix), who writes letters for people who can't express their feelings. At first, Theodore seems like an average guy, but he's lonely. His wife (Rooney Mara) left him and his best friend (Amy Adams) is distracted by her work. Theodore decides to buy a new operating system with artificial intelligence, designed to meet his every need and to adapt like a human being. Theodore decides for his operating system to have a female identity and the operating system names herself Samantha (voiced by Scarlett Johansson). Phoenix brings a soulful and heartbreaking performance to the film, reaching new highs in his career. You only hear Johansson's voice, but this voice is sweet, tender and draws you deeper into the film. Johansson and Phoenix's chemistry is powerful and well executed. Jonze gives them the right amount of time to grow their relationship on screen.

The deeply developed story, vibrant colors and production design add more character and depth to the film. Jonze takes gentle care with his love story and does not rush it. We see Theodore and Samantha's relationship go through the highs and lows throughout the film. Jonze digs deep and shows us a different perspective on modern human relationships, causing viewers to reflect on their own relationships. Gazing through Theodore's lonely eyes makes you examine your own life. We connect and experience Theodore and Samantha's story of adventure, love and heartbreak. In the end, Samantha is more than an operating system - Samantha is real and Her encourages viewers to reflect on their own lives.
November 5, 2017
Genuinely great film about relationships. Puts a good perspective in you about true love and future technology.
October 3, 2017
It's funny that one of the most human films I have seen is about AI.
September 20, 2017
I've tried to watch this movie multiple times since its release in 2013, but I just can't get sucked into it. To me, it's the most boring story about AI I've ever witnessed. Mainly because there's no connection between the audience and Theodore. Theodore is so bland and unlikeable it's unbearable. I guess it's to make Samantha seem more human compared to him (they're doing a Space Odyssey: 2001 thing), but I didn't like in 2001 and I definitely don't like it here. But I wanted to watch this movie because I think the transformation and use of fembots - female robots or AI for a man's sexual/emotional pleasure - is really interesting. So here is, Her.

Her starts out with Theodore, a basic white male down in the dumps because he's socially inept. Haven't heard that one before. Because of his social ineptitude, his wife divorced him and even after a year since the divorce was declared, he still can't sign the papers. Shocker. To dig himself out of his hole, he buys an OS device and chooses to give it a female voice. His own manic pixie dream girl. Where have I seen this before? The OS names herself Samantha and she and Theodore start out as friends, but of course, turn into lovers later on. This proves to help Theodore because he's finally able to let go of his ex wife, but his dependence on Samantha grows stronger and he's unable to live a "normal" life. Samantha ends up having her own character arc and isn't just there to serve Theodore, and the thousands of other human companions that she's also fallen in love with. Her story arc is to grow and learn as AI does, and discover her own wants and capabilities. Theodore, for some reason, feels betrayed after learning Samantha has been talking with other humans. I guess he didn't realize the OS is open to whoever can pay for it. Anyway, they end it on a happy note and Samantha finishes her manic pixie dream girl arc as well as her own arc by joining the technological singularity. Theodore ends his arc like any man in a manic pixie dream girl movie, by realizing that he had it in him all along, all he needed was a woman to show him the way.

Even though this movie is extremely bland, Scarlett Johansson's voice is amazing. It feels as though she's in the room with Theodore, but of course, she's not. Even so, you can imagine her waking him up every morning, or holding his hand, or even doing it with him (the first time, not with the poor girl that was dragged into their relationship who had to pretend to be Samantha). This movie reminds me of RealDolls (the highest line of sex dolls available - mainly the dolls are designed as female, but they also have some male ones), but for emotional support, and the best part is that she's not real. When she does become "real" it's actually extremely disturbing and wrong. Just like with the dolls, the best part is that they are not real too. In both cases, the women are there. You either have their voices or their bodies, but the best part, for men who have boughten the dolls or for Theodore, is they either don't have a body or don't have a mind. It seems as though we can't appreciate women as whole beings. They're either sex dolls in your home that can't talk, or AI that can lift you up when you're down, but not physically be with you. So when women are physically with men, they should shut up, and when they're talking they better just be a voice in the man's head. No matter how much Samantha has agency of her own - she eventually chooses to leave Theodore to pursue a higher purpose - she's still just what men want her to be. She's there to serve Theodore. She might as well just be a sex doll. She's no different than any other fembot we've seen before.

Just a little gripe I have with the movie is the one earbud thing. Why just one?! Doesn't that make people more sensitive in one ear than the other. Also, the styling of the movie is okay, but it's nothing we haven't seen before. Pastel colors, a too happy future, etc. The music also didn't do it for me. It was like 500 Days of Summer, but in the future with AI. I also think the connection that forms between Samantha and Theodore isn't very emotional. Not because Samantha wasn't physically there, but because they had no prior connection. The strongest AI films always have the AI knowing the person before hand. As seen in West World, or Be Right Back from Black Mirror. It always goes deeper than just a first hand connection.

Overall, I give the film a 4/10. There's no drama, and when there is, it's cliched and contrived. Theodore is just a drunk mess and every white straight cis male going through a divorce we've seen already. Lastly, Samantha just reinforces what we already knew about men and their eventual plans for AI and to a great extent, women.
½ September 16, 2017
Do not listen to the critics. Supporting actress Olivia Wilde has called half the country racist, among many other nasty insane insults and demanded that they boycott her work. Do as she demands. Boycott it ALL. Boycott it everywhere. Do not see anything she is in.Not in theaters, not on Netflix, not on Amazon, not on TV. Such an ingrateful spoiled rotten, holier than thou repugnant woman does not deserve your money. Don't pay a penny to see anything she is in
September 14, 2017
I'm on the fence about this film. On the one hand, it was brilliantly executed from the cinematography to the plot. The futuristic world was believable and familiar. I especially liked the movie's blunt yet subtle tone of voice throughout the film. The relationship between Theodore and Samantha (the OS) was especially brilliant, the slow growth was believable and made the ridiculous premise plausible. The characters are enjoyable, and I laughed out loud at many parts.

But on the other hand, I feel like the human experience was not properly portrayed. The film seemed to focus on the human traits of love and human growth, especially growing with a person and then outgrowing them. In the world of the film the plot and the ending are perfectly believable and can be accepted by audiences. But as a whole, I feel like the film did not properly reflect human life and experience. There were many emotions and needs that were not addressed to the fullest, such as empathy, physical affection, intuition, aspirations, impulsiveness, the play between pride and humility, and most of all selfless love. The greatest achievement of human experience is sacrificing for the one you love. Of course, if this aspect of human emotion was included in the film, it would've been completely different. Instead of being a film about the difficulties in the need for connection, it would've been a film about the need for selfless love and understanding. This isn't to say that I didn't enjoy the film, as I said it was brilliantly done and I highly recommend it. But it is like looking at a masterpiece and seeing what could've been it the human aspect of the film had been more complicated and well-rounded.
September 11, 2017
Wow really an incredible movie and I have no idea why I waited so long to see this. Fantastic performance by Phoenix
September 10, 2017
It made me laugh, it made me cry and it made me feel really weird about my cellphone and it's vibration mode...
A good movie, could have been better? probably, but it was one of the best movies I saw in the past years. ?
½ September 4, 2017
The ideas are interesting, however I don't think I completely agree with the resolution.
½ September 3, 2017
A modern masterpiece. Such an amazingly original screenplay & superb performances. The music, the scenes & the pace all combine perfectly. I found myself reflecting on my own life & relationships. This film is one that will stay with you long after the credits have finished. My favourite film of 2013. AAN GGN
½ August 26, 2017
Worlds greatest and longest commercial ever
½ August 20, 2017
Not as unlikely a story as it sounded and makes you wonder about AIs. Worth watching.
½ August 18, 2017
Smart and weird, but oddly an effective love story.

Spike Jonze takes the helm for this comedy about a withdrawn writer (Joaquin Phoenix) who falls in love with his computer's highly advanced operating system.

I feel like I have to give the upmost applause to movies like this. "Her" is such a weird yet interesting concept. It's filmmakers such as Spike Jonze that constantly surprise me, and inspire me to reach out farther with my own screenplays. This movie is totally weird and definitely out there, but it's really effective and a more compelling love story than most films these days.

This movie is filled with a talented cast. Joaquin Phoenix was fantastic as the lead male actor. Shining with his moustache and all, he definitely captures that character persona with his awkwardness and comedy. Scarlett Johansson did great in her voice over. She's done multiple roles with solely voice acting, and I think she really excels in that role. Amy Adams, Rooney Mara, and Chris Pratt all round out the ensemble here, and they all come together to give us great performances.

The screenplay was really well written, even if it was definitely awkward and weird at times. There were some truly funny moments in this film, funnier than I actually expected it to be. There were also other moments where I'm glad I wasn't watching this film with more than one person, because I cannot imagine how awkward it would've been. But besides all that, it's a love story that's really effective, one that delves deeper into relationships between people and what love really means. It doesn't do it in a cliche way, but it is ridiculous when you really look at it ( ridiculous in a good way). Still, I was attached to the story and I was rooting for the characters within the situation.

In the end, this is definitely a strange film, but one that does its job well. It's a great addition to the A.I. genre, as well as the romance drama.