Her - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Her Reviews

½ August 20, 2017
Not as unlikely a story as it sounded and makes you wonder about AIs. Worth watching.
½ August 18, 2017
Smart and weird, but oddly an effective love story.

Spike Jonze takes the helm for this comedy about a withdrawn writer (Joaquin Phoenix) who falls in love with his computer's highly advanced operating system.

I feel like I have to give the upmost applause to movies like this. "Her" is such a weird yet interesting concept. It's filmmakers such as Spike Jonze that constantly surprise me, and inspire me to reach out farther with my own screenplays. This movie is totally weird and definitely out there, but it's really effective and a more compelling love story than most films these days.

This movie is filled with a talented cast. Joaquin Phoenix was fantastic as the lead male actor. Shining with his moustache and all, he definitely captures that character persona with his awkwardness and comedy. Scarlett Johansson did great in her voice over. She's done multiple roles with solely voice acting, and I think she really excels in that role. Amy Adams, Rooney Mara, and Chris Pratt all round out the ensemble here, and they all come together to give us great performances.

The screenplay was really well written, even if it was definitely awkward and weird at times. There were some truly funny moments in this film, funnier than I actually expected it to be. There were also other moments where I'm glad I wasn't watching this film with more than one person, because I cannot imagine how awkward it would've been. But besides all that, it's a love story that's really effective, one that delves deeper into relationships between people and what love really means. It doesn't do it in a cliche way, but it is ridiculous when you really look at it ( ridiculous in a good way). Still, I was attached to the story and I was rooting for the characters within the situation.

In the end, this is definitely a strange film, but one that does its job well. It's a great addition to the A.I. genre, as well as the romance drama.
½ August 18, 2017
Original and moving. An imaginative way of looking at what relationships really are and should be. Does a great job of catching little moments that make memories. A mind-blowingly great performance by Joaquin Phoenix. 9 out of 10
½ August 18, 2017
SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) So, Greg, looks like we finally got around to seeing Ben-Hur, a 1959 release.

GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) No, Scott. We re reviewing Her. Spike Jonez 2013 Christmas offering about a man who falls in love with his computer. Let s recap...

SCOTT: We meet Theodore Twombly (Joaquin Phoenix), who composes loving letters for a living at beautifully handwritten notes dot com. Theodore has been down in the dumps for almost a year, ever since his wife Catherine (Rooney Mara) left him. He is a sensitive man who feels deeply, but he seems unable, and maybe even unwilling, to connect with people at an emotional level.

GREG: Then one day he gets a new Operating System (OS) for his phone that is voice-controlled and responds via a bud he keeps in his ear. This OS is different from previous ones - it is tailored to his personality and is the latest in Artificial Intelligence (AI). This OS will learn and adapt. Theodore is so taken with his new AI (named Samantha and voiced by Scarlett Johansson) that he begins to fall in love with it.

SCOTT: Greg, Her is a movie that drives home a point that we ve known for a long time, namely, the idea that our internet gadgets and software separate people from each other more than they bring people together. Her also takes this idea to a new level by introducing an operating system that can develop a human personality which can feel love and return it in kind an innovation that potentially renders human-to-human relationships unnecessary. Joaquin Phoenix has an especially demanding role here, as Samantha s disembodied voice means that Phoenix has very long stretches of screen time by himself. He does a masterful job of expressing the joy and pain of a relationship, even if the relationship is with a highly charming and sophisticated operating system. Scarlett Johansson also deserves great kudos for using only her voice to create a highly memorable character. One might say that Theodore and Samantha are buddy heroes and/or romantic heroes. They each start out with missing qualities and must take risks to grow and to evolve.

GREG: I thought that what Her had to offer was that relationships are difficult no matter who they are with. The relationship that Theodore has with Samantha is much like relationships he has had with other women. They start out very easy-going and get more intimate until finally they become complex as the needs and expectations of both parties are stressed. Her also brings home the point that physical presence is increasingly unnecessary in relationships. I m sure you ve heard of people falling in love in Internet chat rooms and getting married without ever having met. Her takes this to the next level by having one of the parties not even have a physical body.

SCOTT: For me, Her is a movie about the plight of modern humans who are overly dependent on technology to meet their social and emotional needs. Sadly, there are many scenes in Her that mimic modern-day reality. Masses of people on the streets are walking alone yet talking to some distant entity is it a real person or another operating system like Samantha? We re not sure, and it almost doesn t matter, because either way they are foregoing any opportunity for real-flesh contact by focusing instead on an electronic connection. The result is pervasive loneliness and isolation on a massive societal level. The hero journeys of Theodore and Samantha are fascinating to watch. I must admit that I wasn t sure how these journeys were going to unfold. Yes, people get hurt and in the pain there is growth. You re right, Greg, that complications arise in a deepening relationship, and this movie is populated by characters who cannot handle those complications. And so shallow relationships are often the norm, and in one hilarious scene a shallow relationship features the creative use of a dead cat.

GREG: I m not sure I agree with you Scott. Theodore had personal relationships with several people in this film. Among them his best friend Amy (Amy Adams) who is in a real relationship with a man who doesn t treat her well. The theme that I get from Her is that even the ideal person is going to be difficult to deal with. There is going to be give and take no matter who you are with. From the point of view of a Hero s Journey, we see Theodore go from being a complete loner to actually going out with friends on double dates. The real people he meets are not able to carry on real relationships. Samantha gives him the strength to be among us. In the end Theodore grows from his experiences with Samantha and is a better person for them.

SCOTT: Her is a terrific movie that forces us to think about the potentially useful -- and harmful -- effects of technology on relationships. The film raises many questions: Are we nearing the point where relationships with computers will replace human relationships? How overly dependent and addicted are we to computers to fulfill our emotional needs? Her made me think and it also made me feel a rare feat for a move these days. I m happy to award Her 4 Reels out of 5. The hero journeys of Theodore and Samantha are complicated but satisfying. As you suggest, Greg, these two characters help each other transform in meaningful ways. They do this through love and, ironically, through the betrayal of that love. There is a sweet tenderness to their relationship that is both satisfying and chilling to me. In the end, they grow in meaningful ways that leave us pondering the role of technology in our emotional lives. I give these two characters 4 Heroes out of 5. Movie: Hero:

GREG: We re in agreement that Her is a terrific movie. Spike Jonez pulled all the stops in the production values. The color schemes and fashion all predict a near-future world where computers are ubiquitous. I cant see how this movie could have been made better. I give the movie 5 out of 5 Reels. The hero story here is layered and complex. I enjoyed watching the relationship grow and mature. I didn t get the doomsday ending that is so often the result of computers-meet-humans in the movies. I give Her 4 out of 5 Heroes as well. Movie: Hero:
August 14, 2017
I am not a critic, but this film is so touching... The colors the dialogue all the subtext is too beautiful to pass by.
August 11, 2017
Surprisingly good. Basically just a romance movie, but with an operating system as one of the leads it invites more careful scrutiny of relationship dynamics. Very smartly written.
August 5, 2017
Uninteresting, too specific, creepy at a point.
Takes too long to get anywhere.
Honestly, it was a great idea, but poorly executed and stupid to me.
I wanted to like it, but ended up shutting it off half way thru.
Inaccessible, boring.
August 4, 2017
A contemplative look at artificial intelligence that does not descend into killer robot tropes. Quiet, sad, and beautiful.
August 4, 2017
With the bright, glaring world around the lead, Jonze sets up the only time of darkness: the height of Theodore's and Samantha's intimacy. Phoenix plays a great hopeless romantic and Johansson perfectly embodies a voice of a paralyzed soul, and with standout performances by Mara and Adams, they establish a phenomenal cast. Jonze created a perfect script and a film ahead of its time but relevant; it is a futuristic prophecy that is both funny, artful as well as scary and sad. It complicates love in ways never thought could be complicating, but it is oddly relatable. It pushes and questions the norms of society in relation to a population dominated by technology; it is both saying technology, at some point, can be an adequate substitute for reality, but one cannot completely escape it. A slight metaphor for being in love with personality rather than appearance, and even that is an oversimplification. By the end, Jonze furthers his world-weariness with a devastating, original but plausible ending.
July 31, 2017
Strange, but not bad.
July 27, 2017
The story of someone trying to recover from heartbreak is one as old as time. Yet here, it's done in an innovative way and is refreshing. The film is sweet, with a smart script and a great performance from Phoenix. I'd also consider this the best voice work of Johansson's career. A great mix of sci-fi and romance without overdoing it on either front.
July 26, 2017
Brilliant. Moving. Innovative. Captivating. A work of art. Loved it!
July 26, 2017
Funny yet bittersweet and cathartic by the time it's finished. One of the best movies I could ever hope to see.
½ July 23, 2017
Really weird. Imagery was great though! Walked out mid film.
½ July 22, 2017
shows why humans came to earth
½ July 18, 2017
Story about a guy who buys a female computer artificial intelligent voice to keep him company. This is a chick flick and I hated it. I understand how people like it but to me it ran on and on and on. So boring.
July 12, 2017
Her is an intriguing concept, one most of us probably think about often. Phoenix is perfectly cast, as is Johansson. It's a very artistic film that will invoke all kinds of thoughts from viewers, as long as they're patient enough to stick with it. (4/5)
½ July 1, 2017
Mediocre and forgettable.
June 25, 2017
I hope we don't have to get involved in such a terrible environment as this one. This movie is the perfect example that too much technology, even if it is astounding over time, can be dangerous.
June 21, 2017
One of the most beautiful films every made. A touching love story with a unique twist.