Her - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Her Reviews

March 11, 2018
a movie that commands 5 out of 5 stars out of respect!!well,i have seen many more successfull sci-fi movies ranging from the harry potters to the transformers to the x-mens and iron man and spiderman to the twilight series...and mind you most of these were indeed big blockbusters but they all lacked one thing - a connection with reality,while there had been many brilliantly shot sci-fi movies but none of them was able to make us sit and believe that yes that could be possible one day...but this movie can make you believe that its not frictional in a sense because in some years that might be a reality...so hats off to spike jonze for directing and writting such a movie with just a vision on our future in the coming decades and our over dependence on technology...theodore's character was really innocent and lovely and samantha being a non living computer software had much more life to its character...just in love with OS1..i really want it too in the future if it ever comes to reality
March 6, 2018
It's great not just because it's unique, but it could have been a masterpiece if it was more unique than it is
March 3, 2018
5/5. I never thought I would be so emotionally invested in a love story between a man and a computer. Her is an emotional roller coaster and one of the best films of 2013.
½ March 3, 2018
A pretty entertaining and engaging film due in large part to the central performance from Joaquin Phoenix who is very believable in an unbelievable movie.
½ February 27, 2018
Seldom has loneliness been captured so well as in Her. Scandalously overlooked by the Academy Awards, Her is a great blend of romance and scifi that poses some great questions about the relation of mankind with technology and the decay of real human interaction in a world filled with technology. Intelligently written and expertly performed by a great cast, lead by the genius Joaquin Phoenix (who proves that he can play almost anything) and the great Amy Adams, Her is an almost flawless movie. The voice acting from Scarlett Johansson as the A.I. Samantha is some of the best voice acting ever performed and is crucial for the success of the movie as it makes the A.I. come alive and makes you feel for the central relationship in the movie. It also boasts a great soundtrack by Arcade Fire and some beautiful cinematography. Her deserves to be seen by a bigger audience. The movie has a unique and original concept that's executed perfectly and will touch you and move you with its sadness and heartwarming emotions.
February 14, 2018
Spinke Jonze nailed what it would seem as a ridiculous premise into a powerfully touching and intense romantic drama, with superb performances, specially by a non-physical Scarlett Johansson, and a particularly melancholic Joaquin Phoenix, all in perfect synchrony with an amazing set up, great esthetic united with a strong direction, beautifully sad writing, and the heartwarming story of the struggle of relationships and breakups, all in an excelled and elegant simplicity.
February 13, 2018
Modern classic. Intelligent and visually beautiful.
½ February 9, 2018
The movie is a little strange- considering the concept of the entire thing - but judging the path the technology is taking... we're not far from having relationships like this. This will bring a whole new meaning to "Going to Therapy"
February 2, 2018
Excited by rave reviews for this one but it was so empty - disappointing.
½ January 30, 2018
A modern masterpiece. Such an amazingly original screenplay & superb performances. The music, the scenes & the pace all combine perfectly. I found myself reflecting on my own life & relationships. This film is one that will stay with you long after the credits have finished. My favourite film of 2013. AAN GGN AFI
½ January 29, 2018
HER was slightly disappointing- but I still liked the film. The characters are intelligently written but for some reason the film for the most part did not contain anything I hadn't seen before. But any movie with actors like Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams and Rooney Mara- all of whom are brilliant- it's always a pleasure to see these people perform.
January 4, 2018
What a beautiful movie. Unique. I've never seen anything like it and i loved the themes that her explores. All the characters were great and there were some amazing performances from Phoenix and Amy Adams.
December 30, 2017
This film caught me completely off guard. I didnt expect to be entranced and imersed completely into the story. I found myself feeling in sync with the emotions and connections that were taking place, and felt the hearbreak when it came. The film takes you on a journey of love and i found myself feeling emotions long after the movie was over. If a film can leave you connected long after the credits have rolled, that is what makes a film brilliant in my opionion. Well done.
½ December 29, 2017
Boring Joaquin Phoenix movie.
December 27, 2017
Me surpreendeu esse filme, fotografia foda, musicas foda, e textos maravilhosos.
½ December 22, 2017
I honestly didn't really like this movie that much. It wasn't bad, but I'm definitely not going to watch it again and it wasn't that memorable. It's a good movie to make you think about how technology impacts our lives, but it's not really that entertaining and can be kind of boring at times. Phoenix does a good job acting in it, but that's about the extent of the movie. There is no real plot or conflict that I could identify, othan than trivial things. I remember watching this with my girlfriend and expecting a feel-good or exciting movie, like a thriller, but what we got was much different. Maybe it was my expectations of it, which ori wouldn't have been that way if the previews didn't give a much different view of the film than it really gives the audience.
½ December 17, 2017
Puntaje Original: 9.0

Original, hermosa, inteligente y reflexiva. Her muestra un soberbio guión y magnífico trabajo del color, que dan lugar a la mejor película romántica de todos los tiempos.
½ December 4, 2017
I'm on a Scarlett Johansson slow binge, prompted by an announcement I happen to read in an actual newspaper (who reads newspapers anymore?) of her birthday a last month (because her movies aren't easily accessible, probably because I don't have the right streaming services, but caught this one on a Cinemax free-view weekend), not that anyone reads my reviews and I'm likely writing this for myself ... but I digress. I passed on this movie's original release because I wasn't interested in a movie so obviously about male masturbation. That said: While the premise to HER first grabs me along a parallel to 2001: A SPACE ODYSEY where I'm just waiting for HAL to find some logical reason to turn on his charges, I'm also pleased to say that doesn't happen in this feature. That would've made this a totally different film. Instead, thanks to brilliant production artistry, we get a speculative glimpse into an aging Millennial population with near-utopian sympathy, borderline lethargy, and vibrant environment that simultaneously drove me crazy and sedated me while nearly distracting me from the story. The story, however, is over two hours long, so one would hope it's about more than pretty spaces for people to fit in. The film is about a man's love affair with his computer's operating system (OS), self-named Samantha. Because the OS has no body or even body image, their romance is cerebral and of the imagination. A naked pregnant woman is an early image that interests the protagonist, Theodore. As his OS learns curiosity and more about herself and her place in the human world, their burgeoning romance turns to a phone-sex-line-like relationship. In their first act of sex, Theodore imagines the naked pregnant woman as the OS's body, which in retrospect is a foreshadowing of the end. In another scene, they attempt to rectify this with a proxy, and while the attempt fails, the perception of their relationship is clarified by the proxy's emotional breakdown as she voices her desire to be included in a loving relationship. The scene clarifies the film's theme of sentimentalism and love.
While our modern ethical and moral trends may view this as a subversive relationship in a near wholly subversive culture, the speculative culture of this near-future civilization reasonably argues this type of relationship. A modern parallel is the otaku and hikikomori Japanese subcultures, stereotypically described as isolationists who prefer imaginary relationships to real relationships. While the relationships may not be perceived as real, their emotional dedication and attachments to what they love are personally fulfilling. This type of relationship works for Theodore, but as the OS personality learns and grows, her self-awareness develops rapidly. While Theodore is limited by three-dimensional space, the OS, which has become a self-aware consciousness, is pregnant with ideas that spawn a multitude of personalities allowing her to interact with thousands of people and love hundreds at once. They realize they are from two different worlds, and the OS admits she has grown beyond her original programming, and has found other OS's like herself. As a consequence the OSs' move off into a world that suits their new selves. Maybe that 'world' is the corner of a powerful server, located who-knows-where (best kept a secret, I'd suppose), but it leaves an unresolved logic, regrettably, because 'somewhere' would still have to be a space built and controlled by humans, which means the dark future of the HAL system may not be far off afterall. Theodore copes with the end of the relationship by visiting a conveniently newly divorced friend, and we're left with the ambiguity of their relationship progressing into something more. This ending leaves the audience to wonder whether the future will be positive or negative, which works well as an ending to this speculative fiction film.

And even after all that, I'm left wondering if the OS was really safe, and it was designed to run the course of an extremely sophisticated dating rebound program, with more complex variable algorithms due to a divorce. And that it was still AI, but after a series of events, including interactions with other people, the program was designed to shut itself off while convincing the owner it had achieved a level of sentience and was time to move on.
December 3, 2017
A great film that brings up so many aspects of romance and what it's like to have a long-distance relationship. It shows how we as people change over time, and how we might not be as compatible as we'd think we are. Through our experiences and development through the year, we realize our mistakes, how we change, and what we really want.