Hesher - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hesher Reviews

October 21, 2016
Solid acting but I simply couldn't get into the plot. I was really hoping the young boy would do something puerile to Hesher to wind him up and put him in his place (that's what I would have done, at least).
½ August 4, 2016
A new kind of character whose lack of giving only fades slightly to give Hesher a more real feel and "turn around" for a very non-real person
June 4, 2016
How did I miss this movie when it came out??
½ May 19, 2016
Packing profound humor and heart with sucker punch delivery, "Hesher" succeeds at the impossible; it makes Joseph Gordon-Levitt unlikable, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
April 29, 2016
Really funny...watch this
April 12, 2016
That kid from 3rd Rock from the Sun, Dwight Shrute, and Padme star in this rather depressing film with a great sound track. The titular character bullies his way into the household of a depressed dad, his mother, and his young son. Ridiculous story, which had me wondering if it was a set-up for a Fight Club-type twist (it wasn't). Natalie Portman looked very cute, best since Closer.
½ March 10, 2016
Better than I was expecting, though it is still pretty loaded with its fair share of Sundance-indie-movie bullshit. The biggest problem is probably with the casting; Gordon-Levitt is comically wrong for the part, his scrawny little frame and dopey tattoos and wig are not threatening at all, and Portman just looks like a movie star hiding behind frumpy glasses and clothes, though she gives a decent performance. But I did find some emotional resonance, and it's quite good in the times when it transcends its shortcomings.
January 19, 2016
I enjoyed this more then I thought I was going to. I heard it was a dark story but it didn't mention it was funny and yet touching all at the same time. Levitt does great at portraying the edge of psychotic Hesher and despite his unconventional ways of doing things, gives life and meaning back to a family who has seen its share of tragic events. a good watch.
January 10, 2016
Hesher is indeed crudely hilarious at times, but the movie feels aimless and lacks any truly likable characters. It certainly is original though, and that makes some scenes very interesting.
½ November 20, 2015
Entertaining, weird. 'Joseph Gordon Levitt compelling
November 5, 2015
I'm glad that Natalie Portman continues to support indie movies, though I sometimes wish she's be more discerning in her choices. Hesher, played adroitly by Gordon-Levitt, is a drifter/slacker with very few, if any redeeming qualities. He smokes, cusses, physically and mentally abuses a child, rampages and blows things up throughout the movie. Portman's character is refreshingly real but not very relevant to the mostly pointless story.
August 24, 2015
didn't really care much about this movie
July 25, 2015
Just not really very good
July 20, 2015
As Spencer Susser film begins a middle grade teacher tells his class, "Now today we're going to talk about 'metaphor.'" And this is really what we are doing in the world of TJ played by Devin Brochu.

TJ's father (played exceptionally by Rainn Wilson) has fallen into a deep depression following the death of his wife and TJ's mother. They are now living with TJ's elderly Grandmother. Piper Laurie delivers a touching performance as an elderly woman who feels helpless as she sees her son vanishing and her grandson losing control.

Everything takes a very fast change for "the better" when a stoned-out, psychotic, metalhead and 'pyromatically'-inclined dude named "Hesher" appears. At first he is a threat to TJ, but soon he becomes a hero. Hesher takes it all on for TJ. Spinning wild tales of drug-fused adventures and sexual escapades. Hesher is sort of like a very sick and twisted ID personified.

The film takes a quick turn leading young TJ into a stew of profane, sexual, violent and dangerous acts.

Essentially this film is about rage. In fact, it is one of the most interesting explorations of rage I've ever seen. TJ has seen his mother killed in a violent car crash, his father fades away, his Grandmother seems to be on the verge of dying, he is bullied, he is lonely and he is lost. But most of all he is in a deep grief that he can only express through rebellion and righteous anger.

This was one of my favorite movies of 2011. I felt that Rainn Wilson, Piper Laurie and Joseph Gordon-Levitt gave three of the strongest performances of the year. Yet the film was met with mixed reviews and did poorly at the box office.

For many this film seemed "unbelievable" and for others it was offensive. And there was nothing "twee" here. It truly deserves it's R-rating. Thus JGL's mass of young girls could not gain access to it. And when they did, they probably didn't like seeing their "Teen Dream" -- who is actually in his 30's -- wearing a hair weave and covered in suspiciously child-like tattoos.

But I've seldom seen a more brazen, honest, bold and keen observation of adolescent rage and despair. Much of the entire film is pure rage busting out to the strains of 80's heavy metal guitar solos.

Of course, this is all 'metaphor' -- Is Hesher even real? Spencer Susser has created a surreal film that many didn't seem to realize was surreal. Much of this film is in TJ's mind -- and the rest is propelled by bravery he finds in his imaginary metal hero. This is an angry and defiant movie told from the perspective of a very sad and traumatized child.

I think it is too easy to blame Susser for "failing" to somehow better underline the fact that much of what we see is not "reality." But I think that is lame. The sad truth is that Hesher failed to connect to the correct audience. This is not a sanitized mall movie. This is Art House Cinema with an unexpected edge. An edge that is sharp and potentially dangerous.
June 21, 2015
Hesher the character is better than the movie he exists in. However, it's a romp to watch Joseph-Gordon Lovett clearly having fun with this role. While it serves up a hearty helping of dark comedy, you really aren't left with much when all is said and done. Still, I would recommend this movie strictly based on my bias for the titular character and dark humor.

3 STARS

-J.T.
May 27, 2015
To my surprise this was a good movie. check it out. worth the time to watch it.
May 8, 2015
It's kind of a heavy metal Hal Hartley movie. Why did that take so long?
½ May 3, 2015
Different, but liked it.
March 28, 2015
Very odd movie.The kid takes too long to wake up.
February 14, 2015
There is a moral to this story, trust me, it's there. It may also take you a while to wrap your head around the fact that JGL isn't clean cut, well dressed, and classy as always, but rather a raggedy, washed out asshole with a very peculiar set of morals. It will make you laugh, but then you'll get all depressed, only to end with a feeling of "wait... What?".