High Plains Drifter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

High Plains Drifter Reviews

December 3, 2016
161201: It's funny how you notice little details with each consecutive viewing of a film. With High Plains Drifter, this time around, I picked up that Stacey Bridges (Geoffrey Lewis) and the Carlins (Dan Vadis & Anthony James), the badass villains that they are, use hollow-point bullets. These bullets would've been damn rare, if not non-existent around the time this film was to have taken place. As for the film itself, there is no way I'm changing my ratings on this one. High Plains Drifter is one of my rare five star movies. I could just talk for hours about how great the cast and characters are. The villains are a perfect example. Lewis and James are easily recognizable, classic black hat bad guys but I believe special credit should go to whoever chose Dan Vadis to portray Dan Carlin. Vadis' character, in his relatively little short screen time, comes across as a true psychopath, a guy you just wouldn't want to mess with...unless you're The Stranger (Clint Eastwood). And the townsfolk of Lago? What a wonderful ensemble of wacky personalities, each special and contributing to the overall community in their own unique way. From the more prominent players, such as Mordecai (Billy Curtis), to the lesser ones, the Mexican laborers, the cast seems to have been perfectly selected and scripted. The outcome is an almost uncomfortably honest portrayal of a corrupt, narcissistic community, something viewers likely all fear, and associate with, in some small way. There are some interesting theories on-line regarding the intention of the script behind High Plains Drifter, in particular, The Stranger's relationship to Marshal Duncan. Check them out as I've found they've only contributed to my enjoyment of this film.
November 13, 2016
This would have been an easy four stars if it didn't include a film-long pro-rape manifesto as a sub-plot
June 25, 2016
He's the devil and he's evil, we get it. Calm down.
May 17, 2016
awesome movie, Clint reminds me of my dad
May 3, 2016
Probably my second favorite Western of Eastwood's and one of my favorites of all time. Plot and music alone make it stand out. Perhaps a bit ahead of its time, but nonetheless superb. Through several actions in the film, you come to realize that even the hero is not always a good guy.
April 30, 2016
A gritty Western that serves up some revenge. Clint Eastwood does a masterful job of acting out his role of the stranger. It wasn't a bad movie, but it was a little rough around the edges for me. (First and only viewing - 4/30/2016)
April 11, 2016
I am generally put off by the idea of a western but this was excellent, a well directed, suspense filled watch.
April 2, 2016
Clint Eastwood's First Western that is NOT from Sergio Leone. He blends his craft with a few things change from his other westerns.
February 26, 2016
A clever story, directed with just the right amount of stylized posturing and action, with several dramatic themes at its core; one of Eastwood's best.
December 24, 2015
Superbe film et toujours un magistral Clint Eastwood
December 6, 2015
Wow! What a dark, bad ass western. How have a not seen this until now?! Should've known, with this being directed by Clint as well... Love the supernatural element that I didn't immediately pick up on. His "hero" character is such a bastard in this... lol
November 28, 2015
Is He A Ghost Or A Man....?
November 2, 2015
My favorite Halloween movie this year.
October 22, 2015
He rapes a chick and nobody cares?
October 12, 2015
A cool classic western that feels very Spaghetti like for a reason.
September 17, 2015
One of the best westerns of all time. This is also Clint Eastwood's best movie in my opinion.
August 22, 2015
Karma meets charisma to irreverently render justice in a fashion most apropos to each transgressor. If Dante had written a witty western based on the Inferno it might have looked a lot like this.
½ August 19, 2015
A good western which is very nicely made. The film looks great thanks to it's picturesque setting. The story itself is a bit weak and predictable and, dare I say, a bit cliche. Eastwood's character is hard to like and hard to dislike. He kicks things off by raping a local broad and teases the villagers when he realises how much they need him, yet he is supercool as always.
August 1, 2015
A dark and nasty revisionist western that throws horror and supernatural overtones into the mix, High Plains Drifter is Eastwoods subverting of the genre that made him, especially in the sometimes troubling spin on his "man with no name", he's not the hero, like we expect or even an anti hero, what he is is subject to speculation, at the very least a dark figure of vengeance and retribution, one thing he most certainly is is a total bastard, especially the fact that he actually rapes a woman, the films most difficult and troubling moment, it's Eastwoods most clear and brutal subversion of his iconic figure, but there's a "she wanted it really" overtone that leaves a seriously queasy feeling in the gut and a bad taste in the mouth, maybe it's the totally fucked sexual politics of the time, but still, uneasy questions linger over the scene. However, Clints clearly not a good guy at all here and this plus the movies unrelentingly harsh, creepy, black as night tone mark it out as a truly unusual western.
½ July 28, 2015
One of Clint Eastwood's first directorial efforts, High Plains Drifter results is a disappointing western lacking that special western touch