High Spirits Reviews

• 2d ago

Dont care what critics say, i love this movie!

Dont care what critics say, i love this movie!

• Brendan N Super Reviewer
    Oct 02, 2019

Jordan is a talented filmmaker, but this is an utter mess of ideas and storytelling. The film begins with an interesting concept and only grows more ambitious as it moves along. I had seen this on VHS when released and remembered it fondly, sadly it hasn't developed into a cult film and the only real interest is in a true directors cut. The film is great to look at and an upscale onto Blu Ray is amazing. The high concept idea is undone by some inconsistent story beats and bizarre choices, that aren't at all funny. The cast deserved better. 02/10/2019

• May 19, 2019

After all these years still a great movie

After all these years still a great movie

• Oct 28, 2018

Peter O'Toole runs a failing hotel in an Irish castle, so he and his colorful Fawlty Towers-like employees scheme to spur visitor interest by faking that it's haunted. American tourists Steve Guttenberg and Beverly D'Angelo show up to see the reported ghosts and silliness ensures as the badly staged paranormal events unfold. However, real ghosts show up in the form of Liam Neeson and Daryl Hannah, for another plot line involving them having to find resolution to events in their past lives and falling in love with Guttenberg and D'Angelo. Director Neil Jordan distanced himself from the released version of the film, claiming that he was excluded from the editing process and that the final cut did not represent his vision. What is left is a likable cast of characters and performers, along with a rich gothic atmosphere, which Jordan would later take to the next level in his lavishly produced adaptation of Anne Rice's "Interview with the Vampire," but unfortunately the story and comedy is not all that great. Still, the cast, production design, and rich photography are enough to make the film worth checking out, but don't go into it expecting anything close to Jordan's best films. Jennifer Tilly and Peter Gallagher also appear.

• Sep 17, 2018

This film is absurd and insane and I love every second of it.  If you are up for something unique, insane and just plain fun, then give High Spirits a go.  I think you'll dig it. http://latetothegame.blog/2018/09/13/key-movies-of-my-life-high-spirits-1988

• Jul 05, 2018

A fun time. it is a STEVE Guttenberg MOVIE, SO DONT EXPECT MUCH. pETER O'TOOLE IS VERY ENTERTAINING.

• May 01, 2018

so 80's movie and because of that so entertaining and cute. I love it

so 80's movie and because of that so entertaining and cute. I love it

• Feb 03, 2018

I first saw this movie on VHS when I was a kid and yes, the movie is beyond dumb and the plot barely hangs together. But that said I love this dumb movie. 1. A fair portion of the dialog is absolutely hilarious and enjoyably quotable. 2. Liam Neesons!!!!!! 3. How can you not love a movie that includes a scene of people ignoring a whistling fish.

• Dec 18, 2017

abrurridora y no divertida.

abrurridora y no divertida.

• Oct 28, 2017

A real charming Irish HIGH Toast to Ghosts...Liam in 1 of his first, Guttenberg in 1 of his last, Peter Purrfect. This is another unique storyline. A Halloween Classic.