The House of Yes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The House of Yes Reviews

½ June 5, 2016
Very interesting. Darkly funny. I was engaged throughout. But don't know what I was supposed to take away...
½ May 8, 2016
Odd little film about a mentally ill woman who thinks she is Jackie Kennedy.
February 1, 2016
Parker Posey is pretty damn awesome in this.
January 20, 2016
Weird little dark comedy from the late 90s about a young woman obsessed with Jackie Kennedy and the JFK assassination, her twin brother with whom she has a strange incestuous relationship with, their mentally deficient younger brother, their strange and distant mother, and the twin brother's fianc├ (C) who he believes he can become normal with. It is a dark comedy that is quirky and weird and touches on subjects some may find a little disturbing, but I liked it well enough. I like this kind of movie, and it has been years since I've really seen something of this type from this era. I kind of miss watching these kind of movies.
January 3, 2016
This movie was a bit hit and miss for me. On the one hand, you have one of Parker Posey's best performances and on the other you have Freddie Prinze Jr and Tori Spelling. Freddie Prinze, quite honestly, is fairly terrible in this movie and don't get me started on Tori Spelling. It's not that Spelling herself is terrible, she's not bad, but the fact that this movie was produced by a company owned by Aaron Spelling, then that pretty much reveals why Tori was cast. Again, she's not as terrible as Freddie Prinze, but she was clearly cast in this movie because of nepotism and not because of the fact that she was the best person qualified for the role. She's just not,, she has no romantic chemistry with Josh Hamilton in this movie whatsoever. This is a bit of problem when the film is centered around Tori's character's fight to get back her 'man' from his sister, with whom he has an incestuous relationship with. Honestly, Parker Posey and Josh Hamilton had better romantic chemistry and the film, while not necessarily judging the characters for it, isn't trying to make incest into something that's acceptable, so that was odd to see. The film, honestly, had the potential to be a deliciously juicy black comedy and you do get bits and pieces of that. It's a well-written movie, honestly, but I just think that this type of story is better suited as a play. It just has that air about it. The fact that you also cast Freddie Prinze Jr and Tori Spelling in important roles also has lot to do with that, because I'm sure, at least I'd hope, that the actors for the play were better than those two. But, with that said, I pretty much have to give the utmost of praise to Parker Posey, who pretty much hits a grandslam in the bottom of the 9th on a 3-2 count. Perhaps that's a bit of hyperbole, but Parker is quite excellent in this movie and if it wasn't for her and her comical, yet disturbing performance of this woman who has an unhealthy obsession with her brother. To the point that she actually shoots him at one point before he is to leave for New York to study. Clearly she's the most interesting character in the entire movie, though everyone in the family has their little issues. Without Parker Posey, or someone just as good as her, this movie wouldn't have been nearly as good as it is now. Yes, the writing is good and the rest of the cast, outside of Freddie and Tori, are good, but there's nothing outstanding about it, particularly considering the subject matter. They do go to some dark places regarding mental illnesses, but it's a movie that fancies itself to be cleverer than it actually is. But, still, by and large, thanks to Parker Posey and a solid script, this ends up being a good movie. It has its flaws and it doesn't always make a smooth transition from play to film, but it's a fairly good movie and one that I'd recommend if you have Netflix. Can't really recommend this as a rental or a buy.
½ November 18, 2015
Wth did I just watch ­~│­~Â
September 6, 2015
Parker Posey Quirky, need I say more? It's her forte, and she does it like no other.I see everything she does
August 15, 2015
Parker Posey is great as always but she gets no help in this one.
½ July 20, 2015
Nothing funny about it
½ November 5, 2014
terrible story, narrative is all over the map, acting is awful.
July 4, 2014
Really twisted dark comedy about a crazy family.
½ June 13, 2014
With it's almost hour-and-a-half runtime, 'The House of Yes' can be dull, but the film feels like a play with it's one place setting and characters. (It is based on a play).
½ May 8, 2014
"The House of Yes" is a little gem of an indie film, which alternates between crass satire and dark comedy with seeming ease. The set-up of the film has us transported to a family manor on the outskirts of Washington D.C. where Jackie-O, her brother Anthony, and their mother await the arrival of Jackie's twin, Marty, and his fiancee, Lesly. These WASPs turn out to be some of the sickest people around, as they hide secrets, manipulate each other, incite violence, and revel in their insanity. Jackie-O especially has problems coping with her brother's relationship, and her jealousy is evident from their very first meeting. Though the plot of this film is nearly nonexistent at times, it's the characters that we really care about, or more aptly, whether or not Jackie-O will manipulate and seduce her brother like she once has before. This film is quite dark, but also quite inspired. It's uncomfortably funny, in the darkest possible terms, and features some great performances, especially Parker Posey, Queen of Indies. A must see for nineties indie junkies, and Parker Posey's minions.
½ January 10, 2014
a perfect performance by Parker Posey in a near perfect movie. keeping the feel of a stage play, this film derserves a place in the archives. i would've given this movie a full 5 stars had it not been for the casting of Tori Spelling, but overall a genuinely funny movie for even just the quotes alone!
September 3, 2013
This one goes from quirky to disturbing in no time. I watched it to the end only to see Parker Posey play it out. Borderline thumbs-down.
August 28, 2013
Back before 'twincest' were a fantasy staple like racism, misogyny, and dragons, there were two siblings with the most unhealthy and 'can't turn away' relationship in House of Yes. It's the movie that inspired countless (tasteless) Halloween costumes.
March 27, 2013
A film about one family that you'd run the other way screaming if you saw them and the poor sap, played by Tori Spelling, who must endure their neuroses. The actors are good, especially Posey and Bujold, and the dialogue is biting.
March 12, 2013
Twisted, but fascinating. Dark humor taken to a very odd level. Posey was great.
January 26, 2013
To Movie Info writer: Ditsy, not "dizzy", Washington, D.C. not "West Virginia", ketchup not "spaghetti sauce". Overall the movie was okay, if not a little disturbing.
January 22, 2013
Really quirky, well put together, and - as the box art itself says - "dark" and "clever" so, you know.... And, hey, Parker Posey? Sign me up.