I Dreamed of Africa Reviews

• Feb 21, 2019

The film reimagines a 1970's memoir narrative through an early 2000's lens. Comfy soundtrack and sprawling location shots give a good sense of place. While the cheesy acting and slow pacing may be off-putting to some viewers it has a classic exoticism aesthetic redeployed for the new millennium. The (speaking native language) subtitles are cringey and there are lot of campy moments that could have been avoided with some attention to detail and realism. 50 million dollars was far too much money to spend making a movie of this quality but I can appreciate the wildlife shots for their beauty and the interpretation of the travel memoir for it's perspective. It is a travel experience and personal story of a European woman in Africa who has impeccably bad luck with truck drivers. In the film Kim Basinger's character avoids any sort of developed connections to the people she is living amongst and remains transplatedly European throughout the duration. You'd think for such a large budget they could develop some African characters beyond a few lines but they remain peripheral and unnamed in the main narrative (aside from Lance Reddick's 'Simon'). All that being said, your pet snake will love this movie.

• Dec 31, 2015

All through this painfully useless film i was waiting daniel craig to get it going with kim basinger. Well....he did not. Ever. A lot of people died and nothing happend. Sigh... Kind of wanna-be out of africa.....

• Jul 08, 2015

This script had no plot or sequence, and made no sense.

This script had no plot or sequence, and made no sense.

• May 27, 2015

Guts abound but I wish the screen writers showed guts.

Guts abound but I wish the screen writers showed guts.

• Jarrin R Super Reviewer
    Feb 18, 2015

I don't think this was the best movie. It lacked in the story department as well as acting. Although it did have great landscapes, it still fails to impress.

• Nov 12, 2014

• Jul 29, 2014

It's pretty much what you expect of a whites in Africa storyline - conservation, adversity, adapting to the environment, trouble with animals and assimilation. It's disappointing as it has little depth to it relying on a series of deaths to give it a poignant relevance to a personalised story.

• Mar 28, 2013

Very sad and too long. I'd never stay in Africa after all if basinger's tragedies

• Jan 01, 2013

Beautiful, and tender movie. A real tearjerker!

Beautiful, and tender movie. A real tearjerker!

• Jul 16, 2012

I dreamed of this movie ending, and at long last, it finally did.

I dreamed of this movie ending, and at long last, it finally did.