19% Transcendence Apr 18

I, Frankenstein Reviews

MANUGINO
MANUGINO

December 3, 2013
In the battle between good and evil, an immortal holds the key.

Not such a good movie! To say that "I, Frankentein" was a waste of time would be an understatement. The plot itself is a mangled-up mess and a failed attempt to re-invent Mary Shelly's classic character. Little effort seems to have been put into this film, and even a big-time star like Aaron Eckhart can't elevate the material. Here he seems dazed and bored, almost as if this film was just a project to waste some time. In fact, none of the actors seem interested, and with the exception of maybe two awkward line readings, there is nothing to laugh at either. Like many films released in January, "I, Frankenstein," comes across as filler and it is not even worth a view on Netflix streaming. Between the poor script, the dull characters and the bad effects, there is next to nothing here worth enjoying.

Dr. Victor Frankenstein dies frozen to death and the creature buries him at the cemetery of his family. However he is attacked by demons but he kills one of them and Gargoyles save him and take him to a Cathedral where the Gargoyles Order gathers. The Queen of the Gargoyles Leonore keeps Dr. Frankenstein's journal together with the treasures of the Order and gives the name of Adam to the creature. Then she explains to Adam that there is an ancient war between the Gargoyles that are angels and demons under the command of the Prince Naberius. She also invites Adam to join the Gargoyles in the war against demons, but Adam prefers to isolate in a remote place. Two hundred years later, Adam returns and finds a modern society. Soon he learns that Naberius has the intention of creating an army of soulless corpses to be possessed by demons. The scientist Terra is researching a process to create life and Naberius is seeking Dr. Frankenstein's journal to help Terra and raise his army.
KJ P

March 26, 2014
Picking up many years after the original "Frankenstein" films, "I, Frankenstein" literally is about the hunt to kill his monster, who happens to be the main character, and we are supposed to root for him now? I guess so. I must say that this is one of the worst screenplay's to come from Hollywood in quite some time, and the visuals seem like they are unfinished or done by an amateur. I feel sorry for Aaron Eckhart, because he is capable of so much more than what this 80-minute snooze-fest had to offer. I would say that every recognizable actor/actress throughout this film has had one or two great films, and I admire them, but this picture did absolutely nothing for them, and made them all look like middle-of-the-road actors and actresses. I know this year is just getting started, but this will definitely hold up as one of the worst of 2014. Wow did this movie suck in every way.
Thomas J

January 20, 2013
Such a disappointment!
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

January 30, 2014
Here we start off 2014 with plenty of awful horror films. Well, I Frankenstein is a mess from start to finish, one that lacks any story to really grab your attention and tends to rely on overdone CGI effects in order to make for a popcorn film. Well, popcorn films are supposed to be thrilling, fun and entertaining. I Frankenstein is a straining, tedious picture that is one of 2014 worst yet. Granted, the year is young, but this is a painful way to start off the year. Luckily, we're going to get better films as the year moves along. The film wastes everything it has on such a poorly thought out script, one that seems to have been written by a film school dropout. Don't expect anything great with this film, as it is one of the worst horror action films since Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters. This is poorly thought out right from start, and it has way too many bad things that make up the so called story to make for an entertaining story. This is a misfire, one that fails on all fronts and it doesn't entertain, it only bores its audiences over saturating the CGI, and the payoff is plainly awful. This is a film that has poor performances, little to no story and tries to grab your attention with poorly done action scenes that are plainly awful, and forgettable. Don't go into this film expecting great things, you won't find them. This is a laughable supernatural action horror film that never delivers and you will ask yourself why you even bothered with such a poorly executed picture in the first place.
Nick D

January 25, 2014
While not perfect, I, Frankenstein takes it comic book origin and grasps it as a cheesy, action filled movie. If you need a good popcorn flick with no real character development, but awesome action an style, this is the one for you.
Jeff B.
Jeff B.

January 27, 2014
Stitching together a monstrously bad tale out of classic lit and bathroom reading, hulking bore I, Frankenstein deserves to be hunted down and burned to the ground by angry villagers. Even having never read the source material, one gets the feeling that much of the story has been truncated. The phoney baloney backstory of gargoyles versus demons, for instance, plays out almost as if on fast forward. When the monster gets named (obviously fans of the Old Testament, they go for 'Adam' as it turns out), this important gratuity comes with nary a beat before the next line. What results is not so much in the tongue-in-cheek style meets substance funny book adaptation Hellboy so much as poor monster mash-ups Underworld and Van Helsing. Only it's much much worse than those already low standards, dishing out a cliched supernatural actioner that robs from graves not worth turning over.

In this PG-13-rated adaptation of the graphic novel by Kevin Grevioux, Frankenstein's creature (Eckhart) finds himself caught in a centuries old war between two immortal clans.

How does Aaron Eckhart get made up to look like Frankenstein's monster? He gets slapped with some Gag Shop fake scars and ninja sticks. Having already made his mark in a ridiculously good comic book flick (The Dark Knight) the actor should have left well enough alone instead of helping to set Mary Shelly spinning in her grave. Neither he nor anybody else in the cast bothered to crack a smile. Sadly, the movie wants very badly for some humor...because something this miscalculated has got to be a joke, right?

Bottom line: Monster Fraud
Chrisanne C

January 25, 2014
I, Frankenstein is just another fantasy action flick based on a graphic novel rather than the book by Mary Shelley. The graphics and CGI are amazing, and there's enough wham-bang-pow to keep action fans quite happy right to the end. But the acting is pedestrian. Aaron Eckhart is the lead actor who plays Adam, Victor Frankenstein's monster creation and somehow turns immortal. After 200 years, he turns up to hunt the very ones who are looking for him - demon Prince Naberious (what a name!) who wants to raise an army of dead men possessed by demons to take over the world by finding Adam who holds the key to resurrecting the dead, and Dr Frankenstein's scientific journal. I, Frankenstein is packed with exploding fiery demons and winged gargoyles battling away to keep the mindless action going. However, the script is rather thin and bland, and sadly forgettable.
MovieQueen79
March 1, 2014
It didn't have no emotion on me. It didn't entertain or make me feel a certain way. Not worth watching.
December 26, 2013
If you are a fan of Underworld you'll enjoy this film. It has all the same story views that fit from the writers of Underworld. Aaron Eckhart did a good job with bring the Frankenstein monster alive. I feel like editing cut out some key parts of the movie. i hope they get put back before the blue ray comes out.
February 25, 2014
by Ricky Miller
"I, Frankenstein"
"I, Frankenstein" is a supernatural fantasy-drama that chronicles the happenings of the monster (Aaron Eckhart of "Erin Brockovich" and "The Dark Knight") Dr. Frankenstein created close to 200 years ago. After being captured by some goblins, their leader, Leonara (Miranda Otto of "War of the Worlds" and "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy), gives the monster the name of Adam.
It is faithful to Mary Shelley's 1818 book since it retains this aspect of that novel as well as some similar plot developments. The circumstances surrounding each of the characters play into their motivations and either their salvation or demise.
The "I, Frankenstein" plot is plain and simple: The bad guys want Dr. Frankenstein's old fomula for reanimation and raise some undead of their own. At the forefront is Bill Nighy's Nebarius, who wants to have his cake and eat it, too. If viewers notice, Nighy has been at this power-hungry thing before, having played the evil and malevolent Viktor in the various "Underworld" flicks.
Although not identical to the "Underworld" flicks, the plot simarities are very similar nonetheless. A class of creatures once thought to be fictional want to get rid of human beings altogether and make this planet their playground.
With "Underworld," it was the lycans (werewolfs) and the flying undead (vampires).
This movie comes courtesy of Stuart Beattie, who wrote the screenplays for the mediocre "G.I. Joe: the Rise of Cobra," the disappointing "Australia," as well as Gore Verbinski's fun "Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl."
The lavish "I, Frankenstein" $65 million budget actually translated to the big screen well, especially when it comes down to the various battles between the gargoyles (the good guys) and the demons (antagonists) with whom they tussle.
Eckhart carries the movie well, despite the minimal amount of dialogue he utters throughout. The supporting cast, including Jai Courtney ("Live Free or Die Hard") and Yvonne Strahovski (TV's "Chuck," "The Killer Elite") help carry the bulk of the action within.
Courtney' character Gideon has disdain for Adam because he does not fully trust him and his actions.
The pacing is quick and brisk throughout, never allowing for trite and unnecessary lines of dialogue to be expunged from the various characters.
Although it's not a great piece of profound entertainment, one can do a lot worse than endure the mild shenanigans of "I, Frankenstein."
Grade: C+
2/25/14
February 16, 2014
The podcast episode we recorded discussing this film was one of my favorites. That alone is why I will appreciate this film. Otherwise, this is what I would teach to screenwriting students about what not to do.
January 19, 2014
A different but semi enjoyable way to present an old story. No need to run out and see this in the theater; however, it is worth a rent or Netflix!
January 31, 2014
In his own words, Adam Frankenstein is "a dozen different parts from eight different bodies." Oddly, that's a pretty accuracte description for the movie he currently finds himself in. There's the secret war and costume and set design from Underworld, the torured loner hero and bladed weaponry from Blade, the creature desigfn from Legion, the character of frankenstein himself from no duh, the science and over-the-top villainy of a James Bond film, and three or four other bits from other movies. In a way, it's really unsurpising that this was based on a graphic novel, since there is a definite comic-book feel to the whole thing. Despite this, there is still a certain entertainment value to be found (the same as comes from a Michael Bay film, I rather think), so while it may not be a great movie, it is still at least a fun one.
January 30, 2014
This movie was better than I expected it would be, but I would necessarily say it was a good movie. There were some ups and downs, but I can tell you that Aaron Eckhart made the movie better than had they picked some random guy. In fact, the only reason I went to see this movie was because he was in it.
January 28, 2014
Some things are better left undead.

Within the first five minutes of I, Frankenstein, the viewer is bombarded with a soulless monster, gargoyle/angels, and demons. It only gets more ridiculous as well. The tone of this film bares a great heaviness, which it provides no suitable foundation for. It brings to mind Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter in that it takes itself much too seriously. To make things worse, the visual effects used in this film are shaky at best. Granted, I do not know what a demon actually looks like, but Hell would be a much less scarier place if they are running around like this. Aaron Eckhart plays the titular character as a one note song. This perhaps the most disappointing because for a fan of the source material, Frankenstein's monster was a dynamic character. He had deep thoughts of existence, he loved, he hoped, he had great passion. Even when the monster was consumed by hate and revenge, he was passionate about it. However, saving grace in the film came in the form of Bill Nighy, who appeared to be the only one taking this film to heart. Nighy played the role of Naberius with devilish charm and captured what little attention could be mustered. I still await a great contemporary Frankenstein adaptation of any kind.
January 25, 2014
The whole gargoyles vs. demons setup really isn't any more ridiculous than the vampires vs. werewolves one of the Underworld franchise... it's just some of the goofy dialogue contained within that makes it seem that way (gems such as "descend in pain!" and "Lenora, Queen of the Gargoyle Order" immediately spring to mind). It's all in true comic book fashion. How can you possibly hate a movie with re-animation progress indicators!? Re-animation: 01%. Awesome.

Really. It's severely enjoyable. I think people have forgotten how to switch off their brains, absorb over-the-top, CGI-filled battle scenes and just have fun.
January 26, 2014
1/25/2014: Better than I thought it would be. Some of the dialogue and lines were not very good, but the overall story was entertaining and there was some good special effects.