I Spit On Your Grave Reviews

• Oct 26, 2020

Not for the faint of heart. This ultra-violent movie makes Hostel look like a Saturday morning cartoon. But if revenge horror is your bag, this movie is unique and memorable and worth your time. Sarah Butler is absolutely amazing in the lead role. The scene where she's tortured fully consumes the second quarter of the movie, and it's arguably too much, but I see it as the movie not candy-coating how bad sexual violence really is. When our heroine does get her revenge going, there are some major plot holes that are too distracting to ignore. But overall, the story hangs together and the revenge scenes reward users who paid attention to the film's roughest bits.

• Oct 25, 2020

Enjoy a good revenge plot. Was good maybe too much for most.

Enjoy a good revenge plot. Was good maybe too much for most.

• Oct 21, 2020

A more “polished” remake of the gruesome, unsettling grindhouse film from 1978. Some narrative changes make it slightly more palatable (the girl escapes instead of being left for dead, now a sheriff is involved). The revenge killings are impressively gory, but the bloodlust/empowerment angle just doesn’t come through enough. Not as off putting as the crude original (less rape!).

• Oct 10, 2020

I gave this 4.5 stars because it kept me watching, but was it hard to watch? Yes. So many things to say... but this was complete torture, and felt exploitative and wrong. With that said though, maybe that was the director's intention? I've never seen the original and going off of this one, I don't think I'd have the stomach for it. Anyways, if it was his intention to make you literally ‘feel' bad, I'm not talking just emotions, but your whole body —- congratulations, he did a great job. Rape is horrible, that fact is a 100% undeniable... I just, idk, the ending took (let alone her rape, which was drawn out and I can understand why that was done because it was effective in making you understand her pain) a lot out of me.

• Sep 16, 2020

It's a nasty little chick revenge flick, and nothing more. I actually found Butler, the female lead to be quite good, given the source material. I can't imagine having to even attempt to play that role. It's exactly what you expect it to be. A gore filled story of revenge and girl power.

• Jul 10, 2020

Brutal but well done. If you enjoying seeing bad guys tortured to death to pay for their crimes, then this is the movie for you. Those with a weak constitution or a delicate stomach should avoid this movie like Ebola. I really, really, really mean it. I don't think this was ever intended as a date movie, except maybe for inmates at a penitentiary for the criminally insane.

• Jul 08, 2020

This is a remake to a movie I've never seen. While it was somewhat graphic at times, I think it needed to be worse or at least given us a better feel for the vengeful victim's struggle and desire for such harsh revenge. Yes, what happened was horrific and worthy of revenge but I just wanted more of an in depth look at the struggle for the character going from preyed upon helpless victim to murderous predator. More Deliverance, less gore fest. 3 of 5

• Jun 15, 2020

Deeply unpleasant but that is the goal. It is hard not to cheer for the revenge even when it crosses lines in sickening territory.

• Mar 26, 2020

I like female kick-ass movies and this one is good. However, it's not made clear (and this may be a bit of a spoiler) how she recovered, where she recovered, where she got the clothes, equipment etc to reek her revenge.

• Mar 03, 2020

Not quite as meaningful as the original but revenge and watching the rapists be in fear is the sweetest thing in this movie. One big tweek in this re-make is the sheriff add-on. The rape scene isn't as long or as extremely graphic as in the original. The revenge is more thought out and brutally graphic though. Still not for everyone.