Identity Thief - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Identity Thief Reviews

½ March 7, 2018
Imagine a film where a hard working family man with a pregnant wife has his identity stolen. As a result he ends up with massive debts, driving fines and a criminal record. As a result he?s threatened with losing his job. The police say they?ve tracked down the location of the identity thief but are unable to bring her in, so he?s completely alone.
Yes you would be rightly mistaken in thinking this was some sort of heart wrenching drama, it?s not, it?s supposed to be a comedy. I didn?t laugh once if I?m honest. The storyline is terrible and the antagonist, even though she?s supposed to be likeable, really isn?t at all. Ok, somewhere through the last act she?s made slightly more human so she?s not a complete monster, nether the less she?s not someone you?d want to associate with.
This film tried to do a sort of Planes, Trains and Automobiles with the whole ?we don?t like each other but we?re forced into a situation where we end up becoming friends? thing. It didn?t work at all, the characters and story were not funny.
The film completely relies on Melissa McCarthy for the humour and I?m sorry but she?s not good enough to carry a whole film. She was great in Bridesmaids as a token character but that?s it.
½ February 28, 2018
There are a lot of unnecessary plot strands and narrative segue ways in this film, but there is a decent story underneath it all. Bateman and McCarthy just about carry it through.
½ February 12, 2018
A lot of loud, unfunny hokum that's completely disposable.
January 20, 2018
Excellent apart from the Bermuda Triangle but at the end. 19% is very unfair rating! More like 80% easy watching with a really nice message
November 22, 2017
The rating on this site is really unfair! Some hilarious comedic moments plus a heartwarming end played out by the perfect cast. Brilliant film which worked out exactly as it should be expected to!!!
October 16, 2017
This film does have funny moments and both Jason Bateman and Melissa are funny but the play is so dumb. How the police won't do anything about identity thief
October 13, 2017
Not a terrible movie. I've seen a lot worse
½ August 21, 2017
It starts off very promising, but then just relies on the two actors to pull some face or joke out of the gag plot. A missed chance.
August 15, 2017
How did this get such a lousy score? I LOVE this movie, and have watched it several times. It's original and funny!
August 2, 2017
A class of the good actors and a good comedy.
August 2, 2017
I don't get the low audience rating on this movie, because it was so funny! I laugh so hard many times, the chemistry between McCharty and Bateman felt so genuine and the evolution to its characters as well.

|7,3 out of 10|
July 13, 2017
Identity Thief is funny and creative, but lacks the intelligent writing and story to be considered a decent movie.
July 5, 2017
McCarthy is funny, but is a bit of a one-trick pony and that trick is done over and over here.
½ May 18, 2017
So I saw this movie on TV and it was some what funny Melissa McCarthy is a funny in this movie she is a good actress and a funny one and that's the best part! I was laughing when I saw this
May 4, 2017
Some unsurprising inappropriate humor, but it did have a little heart. It isn't too bad when you compare it to similar comedies of the past couple of years. (First and only viewing - 9/6/2014)
March 15, 2017
February 9th 2013
June 4th 2013
August 30th 2013
September 7th 2015
March 14th 2017
January 17, 2017
The film has cheap written all over it. The plot line is very boring and generic, everything that happens is predictable. This is meant to be a comedy movie yet the jokes are cheap and only funny to under 15's.
December 27, 2016
Decent McCarthy flick with Bateman as her foil. The premise doesn't hold up well, especially as the movie progresses, but there are a laughs and chuckles along the way - but too few to carry the movie.
December 17, 2016
Man gets his identity stolen and heads to Florida to bring her back to talk with his boss to get his job back that she cost him. Kind of a dull movie.
½ December 13, 2016